Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenWeatherMap wrong info

Hello Michael,

I was just checking to see if everything is working properly and noticed that the information being captured by the Weather Site Download Test does not match the actual info on the website.

Here are the details please see the screen captures. Can you please let me know if there is anything on my end that is incorrect.
    Attached Files

I don't know what specific info does not match. The \data\mcsSprinklers folder contains the download data and download URLs for both current conditions and forecast. URL1.txt and download1.txt are for forecast and the 2 index is for current conditions. Look at the URL to compare with what you are using for their website coordinates and the download for the data values.

Comment

Michael,

All data appears to be wrong. Here are the examples. Also noticed something weird in the last screen the city name is showing as Chundzha any ideas why?
      Attached Files

Comment

The location is based on the latitude and longitude entered on the mcsSprinklers Weather Setup page. You will see what is setup in mcsSprinklers in the URL files I referenced in post #2.

Comment

The values are correct ... 43.58 and 79.66 on the MCS Config page but in the file you can see they are different see the above pic with highlighted blue section. Looks like location is listed as Chundzha.

Comment

The longitude you have setup is for the other hemisphere. It should be negative for USA/CA

Comment

Thanks Michael. Now that looks better.

Comment

Thanks Michael, I've switched over to WeatherStack for the conditions and all is well but is it normal not to receive any forecast data when I select OWM as Optional Alternate Forecast Source? I am not getting anything for the forecast info. BTW I am not sure how many Canadian users you have but would it be possible to pull forecast from Enviroment Canada site.

https://weather.gc.ca

Here is a good example of the for my location:

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-24_metric_e.html/

I do not believe they have API capability though.

Comment

Forecast is pulled every two hours.

I can look into what is available for Environment Canada API. In the early days I would scrape HTML pages, but APIs have become available and are more stable.

Comment

thanks Michael, GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!

Comment

Hello Michael,

I am assuming that forecast precipitation was changed at some point from forecast % POP to rainfall in inches. I think there might be a problem with inch conversion to metric.
                      I am showing rather large values of 6 and 24 assuming this is mm as my settings are in metric. Is this normal?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Some providers do POP and some do amount. Some do cm and some do mm. It has been a pain keeping all these conversion straight. I will try to replicate to see what I learn.

Comment

I used your Lat/Lon settings posted above and the forecast rainfall status shows as 3 and 13 with actual data reported by OWM of 2.7mm and 13.1mm. OWM reports in 3 hour intervals and mcsSprinklers sums the values for the daily total. I also get the same 3 and 13 showing when doing Evaluate button. It looks to me as mcsSprinklers is reporting what is being provided by OWM.

Comment

thank you Michael for looking into it.

Comment

Working...
                            X