Question on running a zone with a break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on running a zone with a break

I've been getting some burnt grass and started doing some poking around. I think the problem we are experiencing is that when watering, out soil isn't absorbing the water completely on the hills and it runs off. What I was hoping to do was

run zone 5 for 5 minutes
    run zone 6 for 5 minutes
    run zone 7 for 5 minutes

run zone 5 for 5 minutes
    run zone 6 for 5 minutes
    run zone 7 for 5 minutes

and repeat until the soil is wet. This will give it time to soak in.

Is there a setting I am not seeing here?
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

The general strategy for this is to use Round Robin that is setup on the Area page. If you have the zone setup for 10 minutes and have round robing set to 2 then it will run the zones in the area with 1/2 the time (5 mins) and then repeat until the 10 minutes has been satisfied. If you want addition time for soaking before starting the second round then that provisions is also available in the same section of the Area page.

Comment

Sorry for breaking into the thread, but I've set up InterZone Scheduling delays for my watering and need some help. Due to irrigation restrictions that only allow me to water two days a week, I have to water five zones for 48 minutes each. I only have 4 hours available. I want to divide each zone into two irrigations in 24 minutes * 2 = 48 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duration.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1390781

Name:	InterzoneSheduling.PNG
Views:	67
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1390782

Name:	Cycles.PNG
Views:	59
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1390783
      The problem is that in the Zone Status page, Cycles stands at 0. Is there anything I forgot here?

Comment

Your setup looks appropriate. I assume you have also setup inhibits on Site page so irrigation is only allowed on the two specific days and specific hours.

Cycles is a report of the number of cycles that have run. Just like the moisture graph just above it and the other stats in the lower right.

Round robin is useful, but was not in the original scheduling design of mcsSprinklers. This means that something like a project time will not show individual round robin cycles. For example if R3 and R4 are in the the same Area with round robin as you have setup then R4 will be projected to start 48 minutes after R3, but the actual start time for R4 will be 24 minutes after R3 and then again 72 minutes later.

If you are using ET-based scheduling then round robin as you have setup is likely the only way to set it up.

If you are using some time-based scheduling such as on Tuesday and Friday, then a better way to schedule may be to set the Auto time to 24 minutes and run two Programs at specific times of the day such as 06:00 and 08:00. Each program start time can be setup on either the Area Page or the Program page.

Comment

If you are using some time-based scheduling such as on Tuesday and Friday, then a better way to schedule may be to set the Auto time to 24 minutes and run two Programs at specific times of the day such as 06:00 and 08:00. Each program start time can be setup on either the Area Page or the Program page.
          I use time-based scheduling Tuesday and Friday from 17:00 to 21:00. I setup the Auto time to 24 minutes and run two programs like this. Is this correct?

Name:	Runtime.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1391124
          What is best to use as scheduling
          method (ET-based or time-based), when you have time-based watering like here (Tuesday and Friday, four hours)?

Comment

Your programs should work. You may want something like 18:15, 20:15 for Area 2 to give a little bit of margin between Area 1 and 2, but it really does not matter.

For what is best will depend upon your situation. If you are trying to conserve water and the plants can go a week without additional water then ET is best. What it means is that a Tuesday or Friday may not run because the soil has sufficient moisture on that day to hold it over until then next open day.

If your weather is reasonably constant over the irrigation season then you will know the moisture needs of your plants based only upon time. The scheduling does not have a dependency on a good set of weather data. You may irrigate a little more after rainfall or cool/cloudy conditions, but if it is not frequent then not a big deal.

Comment

I tried the program yesterday and it works great.

Thanks for your advice which scheduling method are best. I will use time based watering as long as we have restrictions on how long we can water.

Comment

The round robin appears to be working great! Thanks.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
                X