moisture out of sync after cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moisture out of sync after cycle

I am running v2.20.0.16 standalone. The watering for all zones are based off calculated moisture, with all zones programmed to start when moisture is below 50%, adding 50% during cycle, and all the zones have same rain/soil factors. I initially set all zones to same moisture %, so after a watering cycle, all zones also finish with same moisture %.

System has been behaving as expected for some time and all the settings have been left unchanged as well.

This morning, however, after a watering cycle I found two zones that started first (concurrently as expected since I only limit max flow rate) finished with moisture at 98%, but all other zones finished at 72%. Based on run log, all the zones started and finished their cycle at proper time, nothing was cut short.

Attached screenshot was taken about 20 hours later so moisture has dropped, but from the graph one can still see that prior to today's cycle, moisture were always in sync for all the zones, but after the latest cycle first two zones have higher moisture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outofsync.png
Views:	151
Size:	456.2 KB
ID:	1396808

Would you happen to have debug log? Also nice to have mcsSprinklers.ini so I do not misinterpret how you are describing your setttings. mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net can be used if desired for the data.

Comment

Thanks Michael. I just emailed you debug and ini files. The debug files size exceed upload limit here.

Comment

At 3:27 AM mcsSprinklers was restarted. This was after zones R1 and R2 had started.

When a zones starts mcsSprinklers remembers the moisture level when it started so when it completes it will add the 50% delta that was setup for the ET control strategy. When option for delta vs. 100% moisture level upon completion was added there was no provision to save the starting moisture level to the database so it was lost on the restart. mcsSprinklers looks for reasonable levels for the moisture level when a cycle completes and if below 20% will force it to 100%. This is what happened in the case of the two zones that started before the restart. At the time the irrigation cycle started the moisture level was 22% so the zones that started after the restart correctly remembered the starting level and set the moisture to 72% when done.

I added the target moisture level as one of the state variables stored in the database with http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinkle...0_0_22_HS3.zip. It is also available via the Other Page provisions to update for version 2.20.0.22 or http://mcsSprinklers.com/setup.zip for a full standalone install. In your case the Other page update provision will be the easiest.

Comment

I tried to update from "Other" page to v2.20.0.24. After mcsSprinklers restarts, it is still showing v2.20.0.16 (the version I was running before update).

Comment

There should be two versions showing in the title page. One for the exe and one for the dll. Only the dll is updated from Other page. Current version is now .24 which has a change in a related area of round robin and moisture sync.

Comment

Hi Michael, I installed version .24 and ran into some problems. The watering cycle started normally at first, after finishing 3 zones, it got stuck on one zone (Right side front) and kept cycling on then off every few minutes for about an hour. After that, it just stopped and didn't complete the remaining zones. I will email you debug and ini files as they exceeds upload size limit here.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	log.png
Views:	107
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	1400212

Comment

There are two issues I see from your debug data. The one that looks to be causing your issue is that the rain forecast is changing. The data below shows it toggling between 0.08 and 0.28 every few minutes. This has the effect of enabling and then disabling the irrigation cycle until the zone accumulates enough minutes when the forecast rain is at 0.08.

The second problem, which is fixed in version 2.20.0.26, was introduced when Accuweather because a source for current conditions. It previously was only a forecast provider. I overlooked recording that the current conditions had been downloaded from this source so it continued to download them again every two minutes. Thirty minutes is a normal interval. If the data was not being downloaded so often then the opportunity for the forecast rain to toggle would not have existed.

Update is at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinklersP_2_20_0_26.zip or through the update facility on the other page for standalone.

Code:
                7/6/2020 4:21:06 AM 637296060662438390 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.08|0.16|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:23:06 AM 637296061864226945 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.08|0.16|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:25:06 AM 637296063067108720 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.28|0.12|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:27:04 AM 637296064243273691 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.08|0.16|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:29:06 AM 637296065462560517 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.08|0.16|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:31:06 AM 637296066665442305 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.28|0.12|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>
                7/6/2020 4:33:04 AM 637296067844888288 | mcsSprinklers Debug | FormatHTML Forecast Index=76, Value=0.08|0.16|0.04|0|0.08 <small><font color='gray'>(AWF)</font></small>

Comment

Was the frequent change of rain forecast from Accuweather caused by some bug in program's interaction with Accuweather when extracting data or it was caused by a problem with Accuweather itself? Just seems hard to image the real rain forecast data would toggle between 0.08 and 0.28 every two minutes. If the problem is not solely caused by Accuweather providing wrong data, then reducing data pulling frequency may only mask the problem and the issue is still there.

Comment

Good question/observation. For Accuweather there is a day and a night forecast and mcsSprinklers sums these. It kind of looks like only one of the two are being reported/summed. I see at other times in your debug data that a similar toggle occurs for a period of time. I am running a test now to see what I can learn about the data being delivered and how mcsSprinklers handles it.

Comment

Thank you Michael. Are historical Accuweather forecast data available from their website? Or is it helpful if I run another incidence of mcsSprinklers, maybe as a HS2 plug in, so I have another copy of Accuweather forecast data in another debug file?

Comment

I have been running a two minute refresh of your setup since I posted. There has been no variance in the day 1 forecast rainfall since that time. I will let it continue to run. Additional installations likely will not be of benefit since my test has more instrumentation.

Comment

Is there an easy way for me to check my Accuweather data download, in case problems I experienced was related to internet connectivity problems at my location, besides sending you debug files if/when I see unexpected watering behaviors as before?

Comment

After first day of monitoring I saw some oscillation in the forecast over about a 30 minute period a few times. It was in the second day forecast and I was monitoring detail of the fist day forecast only. I then restarted this morning monitoring all five days. I did get a few exceptions for failure to complete download and then ill-formed XML, but these were trapped and had no ill-effect. Today there has been no odd oscillation behaviors. I will let is continue to run.

I don't know what to tell you about data for unexpected behaviors. Before I investigated the last one I had expected something like the weather forecast being the issue. Most scheduling issues that come up are related to program restarts in the middle of a cycle or something related to round robin scheduling. The good thing about the weather forecast problem is that mcsSprinklers scheduling did work as designed. It just took a little longer to complete R3 because of the forecast changing. A similar behavior is not unusual when there is a wind inhibit and the wind oscillates around the threshold selected.

Comment

Michael, I noticed all my zones started oscillating this morning between on/off every few minutes. I emailed you my debug files. Was this caused by problems with rain forecast download from Accuweather again? I am running version V2.20.0.26.

Comment

Working...
                              X