Problem with Rain-8 UPB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Rain-8 UPB

Not really a problem with the Rain-8 but a problem with UPD in general. It has become extremely unreliable since I installed Tesla Powerwalls in the house. If I turn off the Powerwalls everything is good, but if I turn them on, everything goes bad and the Rain 8 is completely inaccessible. I may be able to get wired ethernet to the UPD device; I could certainly get Wifi and probably zWave. Will any of those work (I don't see anything documenting that they would)? Or is there some other device I could use in place of the Rain 8 that either communicates through zWave or WiFi and is compatible with MCSSprinklers? Can MCSSprinklers talk to a Rachhio controller (if I disable all the Racchio control struff and just leave it in manual mode) either direcly or through the available Rachio plug-in?

I haven't quite given up on UPB --- I am going to see if disabling most of my UPB (all the devices that could easily be replaced with zWave) and see if the problem is resolved -- I have the rain 8 as well as some UPB input/output devices that are not easily withiin wZave range---perhaps if I disable everything else the rain 8 and those will work (but I am not thrilled with the prospect of replacing about 50 UPB switches -- either from the cost or the time to install points of view.

For mcsSprinklers I suggest Etherrain for ethernet. It can also do Zwave with the GoControl irrigation controller, but HS no longer sells this controller. It can do MQTT such as Sonoff 4CH Pro that has been flashed with Tasmota firmware, IP Relays, or run on a RPi with relays connected to it's GPIO. Both the Sonoff and RPi are more DIY approaches and the IP Relay hardware does not work with some switches/routers. There is a HS plugin for the Rachhio, but mcsSprinklers does not interface with it.

The powerwall likely acts like the traditional battery backup device that dampens the waveforms on the powerline. You may be able to run an inverter to isolate from the main wiring, but this would only work for isolated things.

Comment

Originally posted by pete@malibubeach.com View Post
      Not really a problem with the Rain-8 but a problem with UPD in general. It has become extremely unreliable since I installed Tesla Powerwalls in the house. If I turn off the Powerwalls everything is good, but if I turn them on, everything goes bad and the Rain 8 is completely inaccessible. I may be able to get wired ethernet to the UPD device; I could certainly get Wifi and probably zWave. Will any of those work (I don't see anything documenting that they would)? Or is there some other device I could use in place of the Rain 8 that either communicates through zWave or WiFi and is compatible with MCSSprinklers? Can MCSSprinklers talk to a Rachhio controller (if I disable all the Racchio control struff and just leave it in manual mode) either direcly or through the available Rachio plug-in?

I haven't quite given up on UPB --- I am going to see if disabling most of my UPB (all the devices that could easily be replaced with zWave) and see if the problem is resolved -- I have the rain 8 as well as some UPB input/output devices that are not easily withiin wZave range---perhaps if I disable everything else the rain 8 and those will work (but I am not thrilled with the prospect of replacing about 50 UPB switches -- either from the cost or the time to install points of view.
      Are you using pulseworx PCS brand of upb devices? Reason I ask is because the boss there Marshall Lester is super nice at helping end users use some of the tools buried in upstart to track down and isolate interference. He spent an hour on the phone with me with a shared computer screen troubleshooting my system of UPB devices. I have both zwave and upb and generally upb is more stable and functional, once you isolate the powerline culprits. Of course, UPB cannot be used for things like door locks.

I use mcssprinkers with a rain8 serial controller served by a ethernet serial device server and the setup has been stable for 10 years

Comment

I learned a lot about this yesterday (first time in a long time I've had the time to dig into it). Turns out the Powerwalls are a relatively small part of this problem. My real problem is a relatively new multi-speed pool pump that is right next to (both electrically and physically) the Rain8UPB. If I kill the breaker for that pump, then the Rain8UPB + mcsSprinklers starts working along with a number of other UPB devices on that same electrical subpanel. When the breaker is on (independent of whether or not the pump is on), I lose UPB capability to everything in that subpanel. Simply Automated sells a 10 amp choke/capacitor combination and they publish an application note showing a parallel installation for larger loads. This is on a 20A breaker and it probably exceeds 10 amps at startup so I probably should use 4: 2 for each side of the 220 circuit). I think that is probably my next step. The Powerwall did cause some issues that have been largely resolved by relocating my repeater from a subpanel (where I used to have problems) back to the main panel. I now have a small handful of devices that do not respond, but it is livable. But the filter pump is completely eating all UPB ---

And to Ricky's question: yes I am using PCS PIMs, but most of the rest of my devices are not PCS. The PIM at the Rain8UPB is also not PCS, but that will be changed shortly as I have one ordered.

Comment

Working...
        X