Small irrigation control system to replace Rainbird ESP-ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avpman
    will try to post a picture when I have a chance; It's an above ground pool so I simply mounted it on the side of the skimmer;
    Water movement triggers the switch on/off so you use a recurring trigger + has been equal to zero for xxx minutes.

Comment

This is a good discussion on controlling pumps, relays, valves, etc. However, there are other more secure (not wifi internet exposed) ways by using a Z-Wave device (Fibaro FG22 implant, Qubino, etc.) Granted the two mentioned are only dual relay control but you can add another one. I prefer these because they do not depend on third-party proprietary communication through a cloud service. Once enrolled they are native HS devices. One of the best advantages of Homeseer is that everything is controlled locally (except for Alexa integrations). You never have to fear that the device's proprietary cloud service will close up and you're out of luck. The two devices I mentioned show up as native switches in HS. The Fibaro can even report up to six different temperatures by using external, inexpensive probes ~ $15. You can get to HS remotely from your phone so it has the best of both worlds. My approach is not for everybody. Just something that works well for me. YMMV !

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
        Maybe you could you pass the wire in your fill hose/pipe? Start with a sewing thread attached to a small bead and push it with water, then you can fish a small dry contact wire. a plastic "T" + epoxy will make an exit point in the shed. There is no pressure or voltage in that hose anyways.

food for thought.
        Have a nice weekend
        Yann
        GREAT idea! Except for the water bouncing the switch, which can be programmatically overcome, this is a great way to get the sensor into my skimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
          Maybe you could you pass the wire in your fill hose/pipe? Start with a sewing thread attached to a small bead and push it with water, then you can fish a small dry contact wire. a plastic "T" + epoxy will make an exit point in the shed. There is no pressure or voltage in that hose anyways.

food for thought.
          Have a nice weekend
          Yann
          I like the way you think. In my case the filler is piped near the pool edge and shoots water as a decorative "fountain" feature over the coping to the center of the pool. It was my rudimentary way of dealing with the lack of ready access for piping several years ago while also adding sound and visual elements. The pool wall at that point is about 2' tall above the water line so even getting there with wiring I would have to traverse the coping and down the tiled decorative wall. Most likely scenario I've come up with is to excavate and put in a well behind the pool wall near that point and install the sensors (and probably secondary filler outlet) in it.
          -Wade

Comment

I built my own using motorized ball valves. It includes a filter and back-flow prevention. I use Mimo lite's to control it via Z-wave but you could just as easily use an IP relay and some simple scripts (I do that to control the same type valves on my spigots and water main).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5480.JPG Views:	5 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	1467838

Comment

Michael McSharry

Finally had time to install the Tasmota based relay board ; simply used generic ESP8266 / 4 relays boards + Nema enclosure and 12V Normally closed solenoid valves (below).
              So easy to deploy/run, I added 4 extra valves/zones.
              Just using basic HS events + Easytrigger schedules for now; should test mcsSprinklers eventually.
              Works great. Thanks for the tip

@avpman
              forgot to post the picture for the pool filler, here it is for reference + additional hardware links + events
              The level, temperature sensor and valve relay are all connected to the same board used for my lawn/plants irrigation system (board has plenty of free GPIO ports available)
              Eventually got rid of my original floater/mechanical valve as it was always failing.

Relay board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001651180110.html
              Valves: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001909515372.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-08-05 16.41.21b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	1488532
              Level sensor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000315449825.html (also bought waterproof covers pictured below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.PNG Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	1488533Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	1488534

Comment

Working...
              X