What is a Reliable 15 Zone Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a Reliable 15 Zone Controller?

I don't understand why it is so difficult to get a reliable HS home irrigation controller...I fought with Rain8Net for years and now find that my GoControl cannot operate a valve doubler (??). And of course, HS no longer sells either. These controllers must be more complex than I imagined, though I don't understand why. At any rate, I need an HS compatible 15-zone controller that is capable of operating 3 valve doublers. Any suggestions?
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Have you tried replacing the power supply of your GoControl with one of equivalent voltage but higher current capacity? I suspect the anemic power supply would be the weak link.

Comment

Thanks mterry, I’m also in SA. What does a higher current capacity look like...I’m unfamiliar.
      HS4Pro on Windows 10
      6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

I have never used a doubler, but the impression I get is that it has a flip flop so it toggles control between each valve for each on/off pair that is receives. It likely assumes a dumb controller that is expecting no feedback. Since smart valves (gocontrol, Rain8Net, etherrain etc) have bidirectional communication they will likely fail with the doubler.

Comment

Yes and no, Michael. When I was using rain8net, I had the type of doubler you’re describing and it worked fine. On my gocontrol, I am using a newer type of doubler which has a sender at the controller end and a receiver at the valve end. When the controller calls to open a valve, The sender transmits a unique signal for that valve down the single wire to the receiver which recognizes it and translates it to open that particular valve. Gocontrol will operate one of the two valves, but not the other. Can anyone tell me how reliable the Wi-Fi controllers are when coupled with a Z wave translator module?
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
            Thanks mterry, I’m also in SA. What does a higher current capacity look like...I’m unfamiliar.
            The default unit is 18VDC at 1 amp, maybe a 18VDC at 2 or 3 amp would work. Totally a wild guess, however. Assuming the electronics inside don't internally limit the valve current.

Most irrigation controls are 24VAC, so if you're doubler won't work with DC voltage that could be the issue.

Comment

Can anyone tell me how reliable the Wi-Fi controllers are when coupled with a Z wave translator module?
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Can't answer your question but I'm wondering what you mean by "fought with Rain8Net"??
                I've never had a problem with them and wondering what your issues were.

Comment

Sheriff do you have a link to this newer type of doubler? I've never heard of these things before and looking up this device Amazon.com : DOUBLER - 2 Valves on One Wire / Expand or Repair Your Irrigation System with Ease : Automatic Lawn Sprinkler Heads : Garden & Outdoor it appears to simply have a flip-flop circuit that alternately energizes each valve everytime time voltage is applied to the valve control. Fairly ingenious, actually, if you only have one set of wires to work with, but obviously with some constraints in the programming.

Comment

Since the topic heading is about 15 valve units I'll assume you have wiring to all valves, might just be easier to pickup a second GoControl if that's an option.

Comment

Can't answer your question but I'm wondering what you mean by "fought with Rain8Net"??
                      I've never had a problem with them and wondering what your issues were.
                      I have supported many users with the Rain8Net. The biggest problem I have seen is the voltage level of the COM port. The Rain8Net is expecting RS-232 (+/- 12VDC) and most people use 0V/5V levels. The problem is the 0V. Many interfaces do not reach 0V, but only get down to 0.2V or 0.3V. With longer wire runs it is even more of a problem.

Where this really shows up is when the Rain8Net has many transactions such as reporting status, reading counter and things that are periodic in nature. More opportunities for failures. I worked with Warren quite a bit. He provides a circuit mod that removes a diode drop to improve the tolerance. Later the lessons were incorporated into the PRO model that uses a MAX32 to handle the voltage.

Comment

Answers to several questions above: 1) Rain8net gave me lots of weird issues and finally narrowed down to the com wire sharing a conduit with a 240v panel feeder; other com wire routes were difficult to arrange. 2) The flip flop doubler is actually an older technology and worked with my Rain8. Unfortunately, my current need doesn't lend itself to that approach and the newer tech described above doesn't work on GoControl. 3) As to 2 controllers, regardless of number of controllers, I still have four zones controlled on two wires...I need a workable doubler.

No one has yet addressed my recurring question...is there a reliable Zwave module that can control a wifi device?
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

mterry: https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/r...yABEgKbRvD_BwE
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

mterry, now I'm confused. My valves are typical 24vac rainbird valves...they will run fine on a rainbird controller. If GoControl is 18vdc, what is energizing the valves?
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

mterry, now I'm even more confused, if that is possible. Here are the specs off of the GoControl website: Power120 VAC, 60 Hz Input, 14 VAC, 1 Amp output. Why do you think it is DC?
                              HS4Pro on Windows 10
                              6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...
                              X