No announcement yet.

What is a Reliable 15 Zone Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mterry, sorry for my stream of consciousness postings. 120vac is of course the input, but I don't see the output on the web page. Back to original question: if the output is, as you say,18vdc, how does it operate my 24vac valves?
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

Comment

There was another topic discussing this where outbackrob asks about what the power supply is as he had lost his. GoControl WI15Z-1 Irrigation Controller Power Supply. - HomeSeer Message Board. At the bottom is a post I made pointing to an article that explains how an 18VDC supply can operate 24VAC valves. Understanding 24VAC Sprinkler Valves « RAYSHOBBY.NET

Comment

Worst case you could add a 24VAC transformer and use the GoControl to switch relays on that output. Since you're spending $150 for this magic device it probably wouldn't add much more than $30 expense.

Comment

To wrap this up...I reached out to customer service at GoControl. The agent had absolutely no idea what this controller was; she looked up the part number and they have nothing...it was discontinued at least 4 years ago. If you have one, it will be your last one; Rain8Net is the only Z-Wave irrigation controller now on the market. I’m left with my earlier question: with all the strange z wave devices out there, why isn’t someone making a robust irrigation controller??
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Rain8Net is the only Z-Wave irrigation controller now on the market.
            Rain8Net is serial. Other Rain8 family products are powerline and X10 RF.

I have seen another irrigation controller that used Zwave, but as a mechanism from the field valve to the proprietary controller. This was several years ago. The concept for it was similar to the YoLink LoRa Smart Sprinkler Controller YoLink 14 Mile Worlds Longest Range Automatic Watering Controller Compatible with Alexa Google Assistant for Maximum 6 Zones and 1 Master Valve YoLink Hub Required - Toyboxtech where the valve side just needed power and not individual wires for control.

Your Zwave constraint severely limits your options. Even without the constraint one really needs to know why your current setup has issues so you will be able to make good engineering choice for a design that does not have the issue. As an example mentioned in this thread is the install problem of powerline too close to the control line causing interference. It was not the controller problem, but the installer's problem of putting the controller in an environment where it would not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
              To wrap this up...I reached out to customer service at GoControl. The agent had absolutely no idea what this controller was; she looked up the part number and they have nothing...it was discontinued at least 4 years ago. If you have one, it will be your last one; Rain8Net is the only Z-Wave irrigation controller now on the market. I’m left with my earlier question: with all the strange z wave devices out there, why isn’t someone making a robust irrigation controller??
              Here is the manual. I have one and it runs on a 18vdc, 1A wall transformer.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, Michael, you are correct. Rain8net is a serial connection, I misspoke referencing it as a Z wave controller. I did so simply because it operated with my HomeSeer system and I always thought of it as Z wave. Regarding my desire to use Z wave irrigation, I like very much being able to open one application and see everything from locks to thermostats to sprinkler systems to lights, etc. I remain surprised that of all the devices available on Z wave, no one has a current irrigation controller. As to my gocontrol problem, I ended up managing to get wire to the three zones that had doublers. Obviously, gocontrol works fine when wired as intended. But I am curious about something else, I have twice now been told that gocontrol runs on 18 VDC. Can someone explain to me how it is powering 24 VAC valves? The only source of power for my valves is what is coming from the gocontrol transformer.
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

I linked an article that explains that back in post #17.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, mterry, somehow I overlooked your earlier post. Interesting article, but way over my head. What I learned from it is that my 24vac valves can in fact be powered by 18vdc...thanks.
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Working...
                    X