HS Zone Device Value/Status not changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Zone Device Value/Status not changing

I'm doing a trial of your mcsSprinklersPro. Love it so far. But having trouble.

I have existing valve control via HS3. I have HS Zone devices set up and the plugin appears to control them fine. I intended to have HS3 events monitor the zone devices for value changes and turn on my existing valve controls. IE "If Zone 12 changes and becomes ON, then power the valve."

The devices are showing to be running ("2 minutes left"), but the value is 0 and status is OFF, whether the valve is active or not. The log shows it is trying again every second or so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-24 133634.png
Views:	152
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	1476055

What am I doing wrong? This is my last remaining hurdle to overcome before buying the plugin.

Thanks!

It is not clear to me what you have setup. What interface is actually controlling the valves? Easiest thing to do is look at what you have setup. This can be done by zipping \config\mcsSprinklers.ini. I can then view your setup and be more effective at providing guidance.

In general you will not be using HS events as all scheduling is done internally by the plugin.

Comment

Michael, Thanks for the quick response!

My valve controller is non-standard. The valve solenoids are controlled by relays on my old Stargate Home Automation controller. They've been working flawlessly for years. When I upgraded to HS, I continued to use my Stargate for all my hardware I/O, under the direction of HS. HS turns the valves on and off by sending a text string to Stargate via RS232 using a simple little script I wrote. When I saw that mcsSprinklers could control HS devices, I thought I could use events that would trigger based on the device going ON or OFF.

For example ("Zone 12 - Front Flower Pots" is HS Device with Address I12):

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-24 184211.png Views:	0 Size:	255.8 KB ID:	1476108

I have mcsSprinklers working to the point of changing the HS device I12 when I want it to, but it only changes the string, not the value or status. It keeps re-trying about once a second, so I assume the plugin is waiting for some acknowledgement from HS that I am not providing.

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do - IE have the plugin change the valve device value and/or status so my events will trigger? I don't know how to provide an acknowledgement to respond to the plugin, but I'm willing to learn and figure it out if you can point me in the right direction.

My ini file is attached as requested.

Thanks!

PS. Love the plugin's functionality and versatility. Very impressive!!!

Comment

I am guessing that your Stargate has the relays and there is a Stargate plugin that manages the HS interface with the Stargate. The Stargate relays are I1, I2, etc.

When mcsSprinklers wants to turn ON Zone 1 (HS Device I1) it will use HS CAPI control and look for a case-insensitive On label on the I1 device. When it finds it then it will forward a request to HS to ask Stargate plugin to active the value for I1 that corresponds to the On label.

The Stargate plugin will do the actual control of the relay and will do any update of the I1 Device Value or Status to reflect that the relay is now On.

Given this operational scenario there should be no need for events.

What I am confused about is your first post where you show device with code I12 and this device is owned by mcsSprinklersP and mcsSprinklers is updating the status. Since I12 was listed on the Devices/Interface page of mcsSprinklers as one of the HS devices being used as a valve control then I would not expect it be created by mcsSprinklers. I do see that the Other page has "I" listed as the valve house code, but this should only apply to hardware corrected to mcsSprinklers such as a Rain8Net or Etherrain.

Can you provide a screenshot of a Stargate relay such as I1 or I12? Of specific interest is the Value Status Pairs where the label and value are shown.

Another thing I notice is that the Other page does not have a database selected. It may work, but I suggest you select a database. SQLite will be the easiest as no additional setup is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
          Another thing I notice is that the Other page does not have a database selected. It may work, but I suggest you select a database. SQLite will be the easiest as no additional setup is needed.
          There was no apparent sign of anything not working, but I have turned on SQLite as you suggest.

I am guessing that your Stargate has the relays and there is a Stargate plugin that manages the HS interface with the Stargate. The Stargate relays are I1, I2, etc.
          You are correct that Stargate has the physical relays that control the valves. As info, Stargate had 16 digital inputs, 8 analog inputs, 8 onboard relays, 16 outboard relays, 3 RS232 ports, I/R server, 1 RS485 port, 1 LAN port, telephone, voice, etc. I am using most of the I/O for everything from HVAC to irrigation, so really don't want to recreate the irrigation on different hardware.

When mcsSprinklers wants to turn ON Zone 1 (HS Device I1) it will use HS CAPI control and look for a case-insensitive On label on the I1 device. When it finds it then it will forward a request to HS to ask Stargate plugin to active the value for I1 that corresponds to the On label.

The Stargate plugin will do the actual control of the relay and will do any update of the I1 Device Value or Status to reflect that the relay is now On.

Given this operational scenario there should be no need for events.
          There is no Stargate plugin as such, so I created my own simple interface to HS. The interface is simply sending text messages back and forth over RS232. My "Zone 12 - ON" sample event in the previous post is the whole "plugin" for sending text to Stargate. I have another script that watches for text coming from FROM Stargate, which is then decoded and acted upon by setting HS device values or triggering HS events. Its rudimentary, but works very well.

I can easily modify Stargate to update the I1 Device Value or Status to reflect that the relay is now On/Off so that part is not an issue. What I'm missing is how to respond to mcsSprinklersP valve request so I can send the right text to Stargate.

What I am confused about is your first post where you show device with code I12 and this device is owned by mcsSprinklersP and mcsSprinklers is updating the status. Since I12 was listed on the Devices/Interface page of mcsSprinklers as one of the HS devices being used as a valve control then I would not expect it be created by mcsSprinklers. I do see that the Other page has "I" listed as the valve house code, but this should only apply to hardware corrected to mcsSprinklers such as a Rain8Net or Etherrain.
          The HS Devices I1 to I12 were all created by mcsSprinklersP. The Other Page house code was changed by me from R to I yesterday while I was trying to get the "I" device values to update. I've changed it back to R now.

In case it is pertinent to this issue, the plugin also created 12 other valve devices during the interview:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-25 112138.png
Views:	222
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	1476219

They don't seem to show up in the setup anymore, so I assume they were just part of the learning/sample process. Can I just delete these devices in HS?

Can you provide a screenshot of a Stargate relay such as I1 or I12? Of specific interest is the Value Status Pairs where the label and value are shown.

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-25 114449.png
Views:	139
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1476220

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-25 114706.png
Views:	138
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1476221

Any ideas or workarounds?

Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

The essence of the problem is with I1 (and likely others) being owned by mcsSprinklerP plugin. You can do a script to make the Interface property blank for these or you can delete them and create the same set of devices as standard virtual devices with the default two buttons of On and Off. Attached is a script to change the interface property for I1 through I12.

When mcsSprinklers controls the device it will be HS that knows it owns the device (due to interface property blank) and it will set the DeviceValue to 100 or 0. Your event trigger will recognize the change and do the communication with Stargate. There is no further need to update status since this was already done by HS.

I do not know why the interview resulted in the devices being created when HS was identified as the hardware source. You can delete the R devices from HS.
            Attached Files

Comment

Michael, Your script worked perfectly and my valves are now responding properly to mcsSprinklersP. And you made it far less work that I feared it would be.

Your support is outstanding! Thank you, thank you!!!

Next step: Convert trial license to purchase!..

Comment

Working...
              X