How to connect directly Davis Weather Link Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to connect directly Davis Weather Link Live

I would appreciate some help in configure mcsSprinklers to connect and ready weather data from a newly purchased and installed Davis Weather Link Live (WLL) unit.

On the general setup screen there is a space to enter the IP address for the WLL which I did. The WLL is configured with a static IP which I entered here but with no luck.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Details of my setup:

Date/time=14/06/2021 18:47:45 South Africa Standard Time
    Version=HS4 Pro Edition 4.1.16.0 (Windows)
    License=Registered
    Confguration File=C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\HomeSeerData.json
    In Virtual Machine=No MFG: gigabyte technology co., ltd.
    Antivirus=Windows Defender
    OS=Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    OS Version=10.0.19043
    Uptime=5 Days 10 Hours 34 Minutes 55 Seconds
    Device Count=511
    Event Count=88
    Processor:=AMD64 Family 23 Model 113 Stepping 0 at 3.35 GHz
    Modules/Threads=127 Modules, 92 Threads
    Available Threads=1023
    System Load=240 Processes, 21% Load
    Free/Total Memory=7.28 GBytes / 15.95 GBytes (46% free)
    Free/Total Virtual Memory=9.23 GBytes / 23.56 GBytes (39% free)
    HomeSeer Memory Used=59 Mbytes
    Plugin Memory Used=10 EXE Plug-Ins using 168 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=BLLAN 2.0.45.0,BLRussound 2.1.18.0,DSC Security 3.0.0.56,iAutomate RFID 3.0.0.17,mcsMQTT 5.15.7.0,MCSSPRINKLERSP 2.20.4.34,MQTT 1.5.0.0,MyS0mfy 1.0.2.0,PHLocation 3.0.1.125,Pushover 3P 0.0.0.48,UltraSighthoundVideo3 3.0.5960.36744,Zodiac Iaqualink 1.4.0.0,Z-Wave 3.0.2.0

mcsSprinklers includes the integration of the Davis WeatherLinkIP. According to the Davis site this product was discontinued in 2019 and replaced with the WeatherLinkLive. I did not notice an API for local integration of WeatherLinkLive, but I did not look very hard. Perhaps you have the API specification and are willing to work with me to add this integration.

It appears that WeatherLinkLive has a WeatherUnderground integration which allows data to be uploaded to WU. I know of at least one mcsSprinklers user who uses WU as the means to get their data into mcsSprinklers. This puts a dependency on the internet for your local station.

Comment

Thanks Michael. The API is documented here: https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/

But it seems like that is for getting data of weatherlink.com. I have also installed CumulusMX which is open source I think, and they have implemented the local API. If I look at the Cumulus log files it seems like it is a case of somehow authenticating against the cloud service but then you can get local updates via an http request and real time updates on wind an drain via udp broadcast on port 22222.

Very happy to work with you to get this implemented.

Comment

I think here is the official documentation for the local API: https://weatherlink.github.io/weathe...ive-local-api/

Comment

It looks like two versions with V2 having additional security provisions. For local use V1 should be fine. In the the reference page is the URL
          http://10.189.36.37:80/v1/current_conditions where I assume 10.189.36.37 is the IP of the Davis WeatherLink interface. You should be able to change the IP to yours and do the query with a browser. Is it as simple as this to get the data?

Comment

It seems it is indeed. Here is the response I got back:

{"data":{"did":"001D0A715480","ts":1623820482,"conditions ":[{"lsid":426239,"data_structure_type":1,"txid":5,"temp":nu ll, "hum":null,"dew_point":null,"wet_bulb":null,"heat_index" :nul l,"wind_chill":null,"thw_index":null,"thsw_index":null,"wi nd _speed_last":3.00,"wind_dir_last":19,"wind_speed_avg_last_1_ min":1.00,"wind_dir_scalar_avg_last_1_min":27,"wind_speed_a v g_last_2_min":1.37,"wind_dir_scalar_avg_last_2_min":26,"wind _speed_hi_last_2_min":4.00,"wind_dir_at_hi_speed_last_2_min" :24,"wind_speed_avg_last_10_min":1.37,"wind_dir_scalar_avg_l ast_10_min":32,"wind_speed_hi_last_10_min":7.00,"wind_dir_at _hi_speed_last_10_min":17,"rain_size":1,"rain_rate_last":0," rain_rate_hi":0,"rainfall_last_15_min":0,"rain_rate_hi_last_ 15_min":0,"rainfall_last_60_min":0,"rainfall_last_24_hr":0," rain_storm":null,"rain_storm_start_at":null,"solar_rad":null ,"uv_index":null,"rx_state":0,"trans_battery_flag":0,"rai nfa ll_daily":0,"rainfall_monthly":0,"rainfall_year":0,"rain_sto rm_last":null,"rain_storm_last_start_at":null,"rain_storm_la st_end_at":null},{"lsid":426240,"data_structure_type":1,"txi d":8,"temp": 55.1,"hum":94.0,"dew_point": 53.4,"wet_bulb": 54.1,"heat_index": 55.5,"wind_chill": 55.1,"thw_index": 55.5,"thsw_index": 53.5,"wind_speed_last":3.00,"wind_dir_last":19,"wind_speed_a vg_last_1_min":1.00,"wind_dir_scalar_avg_last_1_min":27,"win d_speed_avg_last_2_min":1.37,"wind_dir_scalar_avg_last_2_min ":26,"wind_speed_hi_last_2_min":4.00,"wind_dir_at_hi_spe ed_l ast_2_min":24,"wind_speed_avg_last_10_min":1.37,"wind_dir_sc alar_avg_last_10_min":32,"wind_speed_hi_last_10_min":7.00,"w ind_dir_at_hi_speed_last_10_min":17,"rain_size":2,"rain_rate _last":0,"rain_rate_hi":0,"rainfall_last_15_min":0,"rain_rat e_hi_last_15_min":0,"rainfall_last_60_min":1,"rainfall_last_ 24_hr":3,"rain_storm":0,"rain_storm_start_at":null,"solar_ra d":0,"uv_index":0.0,"rx_state":0,"trans_battery_flag":0," rai nfall_daily":1,"rainfall_monthly":11,"rainfall_year":11,"rai n_storm_last":5,"rain_storm_last_start_at":1623113520,"rain_ storm_last_end_at":1623204061},{"lsid":426204,"data_structur e_type":4,"temp_in": 67.4,"hum_in":57.5,"dew_point_in": 51.9,"heat_index_in": 66.9},{"lsid":426203,"data_structure_type":3,"bar_sea_level" :29.972,"bar_trend": 0.027,"bar_absolute":29.117}]},"error":null}

Comment

This makes it easy. Today is a travel day, but should be able to get it added tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

http://mcssprinklers.com/MCSSPRINKLERS_22120.zip contains the update for this interface. Unzip to replace mcsSprinklers_2009.dll. This will be in \bin\mcsSprinklers or HS root folder.

Weather Setup Page has a text box added in Local Interfaces for Weatherlink. Download occurs every 5 minutes.

The data you posted and the real time access of your station returns several null entries such as for temp and hum. This does not seem correct. The API for current conditions also does not include ET measurement. Since the station has all the other parameters from which ET can be determined I would expect ET to be an available sensor. It is available with the IP Logger.

Comment

Thanks Michael, I will try that now.

In terms of the data structure, you will see that there are two units transmitting and connected to the WLL.

The first data set is for transmitter ID 5, which is a sensor transmitter unit, but the only thing connected to it is a wind meter.

Then the main ISS is connected to transmitted ID 8, and is the second set of data. There you will get all the other data (like temp, hum, solar and UV, but no wind).

Last set is in the internal temperature and humidity.

I am not sure why this protocol does not give ET, as it is displayed on the weatherlink website for the station. Perhaps a shortcoming of the v1 protocol? But I assume mcsSprinklers can caculate it using solar radiation, humidity and wind?

Comment

So I tested it and only wind picks up correctly. I assume this is because of the 2 transmitter ID issue discussed above. If I may suggest, it would be great if it would be possible to specify the transmitter ID for each weather variable, e.g. temp comes from 8, wind from 5, etc. Almost the same as you do for the CSV file.

Comment

I updated http://mcsSprinklers.com/MCSSPRINKLERS_22121.zip to look for the sensors that are reporting in the different lsid. For the data set you are showing this approach works and minimizes setup complexity. Will there be situations where a specific sensor will have two valid reports but only a specific one should be used?

Comment

Thanks Michael, I tested and it works for me. I think for 95% of users this will work, but there may be more advanced users that have multiple temperature and wind meters. I will continue to monitor it over the next couple of days and compare it with the actual weather station readings on the console and on weatherlink.com

On another note, what data do you use to calc ET in homeseer?

Comment

Sunllight, Temperature, Wind, Humidity. I ignore pressure because of its small contribution. The best sunlight measure is Solar Radiation but often not available. UV is then used for sunlight. Use the ET radio on the Weather Setup to make this selection.

Comment

Thanks, I already set it to calc ET using solar radiation. When I look at the end of today, Davis Weatherlink & the console on my desk reports an ET of 1.8mm while your calc returns 1.65mm, so not too far off.

One other option would be to get all the data from weatherlink.com using api v2. But as you mentioned that is a bit more involved with settings up API keys.

Comment

Working...
                              X