2021 Internet Weather Data Providers for mcsSprinklers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Internet Weather Data Providers for mcsSprinklers

Several changes existed with Weather Data Providers in 2021. Version 2.21.4.0 http://mcsSprinklers.com/MCSSPRINKLERS_22140.zip contains all updates. I expect to submit to updater within a week.

1. Accuweather forecastfox feed was removed in June. This was a free feed with good data and no API key requirements. It has been replaced by a Accuweather API which does require a key and also requires that a location key be specified as well. The API key is available after an account is setup at AccuWeather APIs | home The location key is found at AccuWeather APIs | Locations API. It will be a six digit number for a site in world. There is a download limit of 50 per day with the free license. Current conditions and Forecast count as separate downloads so the default of 48 current conditions and 24 forecasts exceed the license so both cannot be used for the full suite of data. Rainfall is reported hourly and then in 3, 6, 9, 12, 18 and 24 hour summaries. mcsSprinklers uses the most current one for the daily total and then integrates each hour at other times of the day. It is a reasonable precipitation provider.

2. OpenWeatherMap has consolidated the three downloads for current conditions, forecast and UV into a single download using a new API. Same license key can be used and will provide 32,000 downloads per day. In general the data is good. No rainfall is reported for current conditions. It does provide an minute-by-minute rainfall forecast for the next hour. mcsSprinklers integrates these to accumulate a daily total. Since it is a forecast it is not as good as a provider that has measured precipitation reporting.

3. WeatherBit was added for both current and forecast. An API key is needed which is obtained after account signup at Weatherbit | Weather API Documentation It provides 500 downloads per day so not a constraint for mcsSprinklers use. It reports precipitation as a rate of mm/hr or in/hr. mcsSprinklers will integrate at this rate for each of the 48 daily samples downloaded. I was unable to find any site worldwide that reported a non-zero value so I would not recommend selecting rain from this site for mcsSprinklers.

4. WeatherStack provides current conditions in their free license. The signup for the needed API key is at weatherstack - Real-Time World Weather REST API. It has the most restricted download count of 8 calls per day. It does appear to provide a good report on daily rainfall accumulation. It may be desirable to use it as a Rain-Only download if WeatherBit or OpenWeatherMap are the providers for current conditions.

5. NOAA/NWS forecast server access requirements have changed for improved security. No signup needed. All required changes were handled within mcsSprinklers.

6. EPA change the download URL and uses same type security at NOAA/NWS. No user changes needed. All required changes were handled within mcsSprinklers

7. To support the issues with finding a good daily rainfall accumulation provider a new feature was added that allows a provider to be selected for rainfall only and to have a download count monitor for just rainfall. The count value will be used to determine how often to do a download. For example if WeatherStack is selected for rain only and 8 is entered for the download max then the download will occur every 180 minutes and will also occur just before midnight to assure the daily total has been recorded.

Separate download max text boxes were added for current conditions and forecast to best match the limits the selected providers impose. The download monitor device contains the count of each of the three and the on/off buttons apply to all three.

I have received no weather forecast info from WeatherBit since 5/11. Is there something I need to update?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I just did an evaluation and also fail to receive either current or forecast. I sent the following to support@weatherbit.io

I have been a user for more than an year and on May 11 the service download fails. I can log into my account and confirm my API key has not changed, but each time trying URL https://api.weatherbit.io/v2.0/curre...21.78&key=xxxx
      I receive message {"error":"API key not valid, or not yet activated. If you recently signed up for an account or created this key, please allow up to 30 minutes for key to activate."}

I receive a similar error code 403 forbidden when requesting the forecast.

What do I need to do to reactivate the service?
      ‚Äč

Comment

Thank you. I hope you get a quick response.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I did not get a direct reply to my inquiry, but I began receiving forecast data from WeatherBit again today. Have you heard anything? Any idea what happened?

Comment

I have had no response to my inquiry. It looks like they lost the user login information or other server issue for a period of time so access was forbidden until they fixed it.

Comment

Working...
            X