More accurate system / area watering status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More accurate system / area watering status

Hi Michael. I'm struggling to find a way to monitor general system status--i.e., whether the system is in a watering phase. More specifically, the System Status device turns off anytime no valve is open (as best I can tell) so it goes off with each delay programmed between round robin watering cycles. Is there another status device that I'm overlooking that would show the system is in a watering phase throughout the phase, including during round robin delays? I'm not at all opposed to creating a virtual device and associated logic to track it outside mcsSprinklers, but I've not been able to come up with logic that does what I need.

Related, it would be nice if there were an Area status available that remains "on" the entire duration of watering the area. As it is now, the area status changes not only with round robin delays, but every time a zone turns on or off in the area.

Use case: I have other water use systems that I need to coordinate with mcsSprinklers. In some cases I can use other systems simultaneous with the irrigation system depending on which Area is active. In most cases I need to avoid simultaneous running altogether. The system and area statuses cycling on/off throughout the watering phase have made coordination problematic.

Can these statuses be changed to remain on throughout a watering phase? Or do you have other ideas how I might approach this?

Thanks.
    -Wade

I understand the question. I will need to dwell on it as there currently is no combination of existing devices that will provide what you want. In essence what you want is a means to know if watering could be happening now if there are otherwise no restrictions preventing it. The runlist forecast should be close to what you want with the equivalent information in the set of predict devices that are optionally created.

There needs to be some thought into what is really needed to satisfy your use case. For example, if a wind, weather forecast inhibit or external inhibit exists then should they be considered or not considered as part of irrigation active status. One never knows when these inhibits will go away. If a manual pause inhibit is active then is irrigation active or not?

I display the running zone on my message sign and use the starting zone status device to display it and the ending zone status device to clear it. Round robin cycles will result in different zones being displayed over the round robin period so this approach does not work for you.

I should be able to make the Area and Site devices persist as long as the Area and Site have pending irrigation. The complexity occurs when inhibits occur in the middle of a cycle. If I do make a change then the inhibit would turn the Area and Site devices Off and this may not satisfy your use case. I may also have internal logic in place that looks at these statuses to make some scheduling decision. It is something I would need to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      In essence what you want is a means to know if watering could be happening now if there are otherwise no restrictions preventing it.
      Thank you for the thorough reply. For my use case I only need to know status of watering or not watering, taking into account inhibits of any type. I.e., if irrigation is inhibited, then the system status is inactive (off, idle, whatever). I'm looking for a persistent status of what is actually happening: irrigation is either happening or not. If inhibited, it's not. If delayed between round robin cycles, it is. If switching from one area to the next, it is. Likewise for an area (obviously can only be active if system is active), persistent status for the duration of that area's operation regardless of cycling of of zones, round robins, etc.

Although I don't have use for it, I suppose there might be value in the system and area statuses being 3-state: active, active but inhibited, inactive. For my planned automations I would use "IF status <> active...", etc.

Thanks.
      -Wade

Comment

It seems the only inhibit you do not want to consider as part of your "watering" status is the Area-specific delay inhibit. This becomes active during a round robin schedule to modulate the valve for the delay periods that have been setup. You know Area 1 is running if status device S45 is ON or if S11 contains DeviceString of "Delay" and no other inhibits. I do not think you can have other Area-specific inhibits if "Delay" is present, but to be safe the test should confirm only this one is present. All site inhibits would have already been considered in S45 status. The same logic would be used for other Areas in use and then the site "watering" status is the composite of the others.

If multiple zones in an Area are irrigated in sequence then the Area status device will remain ON and not turn OFF and back ON as the transition between zones occurs. Same for the Site status that may span multiple Areas and Zones.

It will be a small script to populate your virtual device(s) with this logic. Will this do it for you?

Comment

Yes, that sounds like what I need. I'll give it a try. Thank you!
          -Wade

Comment

Working...
          X