Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a couple of questions

Hi,

I just installed MCSSprinklers standard and I have a couple of questions.

I only have 3 sprinklers, 1 of which is disabled for maintenance.

I am using a Zooz ZEN16 as the controller, I have zero issues with the ZEN16and has been working without issue.

I am currently set to water based on ET.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.51.50 AM.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1526404

The first issue/question is why when I turn on any of the valves manually at the ZEN16 why does MCS immediately turn them off?
    I have a value of 5m set in the manual field, shouldn’t that take over when I manually turn on the valve?

My second question is it would appear that there is a temperature inhibit currently, yet the average temp is far outside my limit.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.57.24 AM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1526407

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 11.57.46 AM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1526408
    Attached Files

The first issue/question is why when I turn on any of the valves manually at the ZEN16 why does MCS immediately turn them off?
    I have a value of 5m set in the manual field, shouldn’t that take over when I manually turn on the valve?
    mcsSprinklers is managing the irrigation. If it sees that a valve is not in the position that it believes to be correct then it will take action to correct it. If you want to manually operate the values then put mcsSprinklers in Seasonal Shutdown.

My second question is it would appear that there is a temperature inhibit currently, yet the average temp is far outside my limit.
    A 40 degree limit is showing for Temperature. I suspect your setup for weather data is either not yet complete or the selected source is not reporting temperature so it likely looks like the temperature is 0. Look at the Weather Setup page for this setup. Also look at General Status for the Temperature sensor value currently being used by mcsSprinklers.

The problematic sensor is Rainfall as some stations do not report it. Temperature, however, is usually well reported as long at the site from where Temperature has been properly identified.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

mcsSprinklers is managing the irrigation. If it sees that a valve is not in the position that it believes to be correct then it will take action to correct it. If you want to manually operate the values then put mcsSprinklers in Seasonal Shutdown.

A 40 degree limit is showing for Temperature. I suspect your setup for weather data is either not yet complete or the selected source is not reporting temperature so it likely looks like the temperature is 0. Look at the Weather Setup page for this setup. Also look at General Status for the Temperature sensor value currently being used by mcsSprinklers.

The problematic sensor is Rainfall as some stations do not report it. Temperature, however, is usually well reported as long at the site from where Temperature has been properly identified.
      Is there anyway to get MCS to recognize a manual ON of a device as a manual watering start?
      I frequently have my gardener work on my drip system and for that he needs to be able to manually start each head. I never know when, so setting a seasonal shutdown is not a workable answer.

I have had a ton of issues getting MCS to recognize any weather service, no idea why as I have a license/API key for PWS and WU.
      I did skip those and point directory to HS devices that reliably get their data from my local weather station and WU.

If I look at the general tab as suggested I do not see any temp
      (no idea where the backyard, flower bed, front yard and garden came from, and would love them gone)

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.15.02 PM.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1526502

My regular HS device page does appear to have temp

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.21.41 PM.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1526503

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.41.48 PM.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1526507

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.42.00 PM.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1526508

some new errors in the log... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.25.35 PM.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	1526504

I am seeing odd behavior in other areas; for example I enabled the "create Predict Devices" option, hoping to get more data, but MCS created 2,500 new devices - essentially the same three repeated over and over. I have turned that off and deleted those devices.

Perhaps a uninstall, delete, and reinstall and reconfigure?

I only have a couple of days invested and the weather here is nothing to worry about for watering needs.
      Attached Files

Comment

I would not suggest starting over. You can email /config/mcsSprinklers.ini to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net so I can observe the setup and operation.

mcsSprinklers provides a remote setup page where you define a means to manually control valves with a remote interface. The X10 palmpad was well suited for this with 16 zone control via RF. A 4 button key fob also works well for small installs, but you need a way for HS to recognize the key fob. I use Sonoff RF or SDR for this. It can be any technology that can be used by your landscaper that is recognized by HS and then subsequently mcsSprinklers. A keypad mounted outside is another idea.

I likely could also provide option to turn off monitoring.

Comment

I would not suggest starting over. You can email /config/mcsSprinklers.ini to mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net so I can observe the setup and operation.

mcsSprinklers provides a remote setup page where you define a means to manually control valves with a remote interface. The X10 palmpad was well suited for this with 16 zone control via RF. A 4 button key fob also works well for small installs, but you need a way for HS to recognize the key fob. I use Sonoff RF or SDR for this. It can be any technology that can be used by your landscaper that is recognized by HS and then subsequently mcsSprinklers. A keypad mounted outside is another idea.

I likely could also provide option to turn off monitoring.
          I will send over the config this morning.

I have used a x10 palmpad years ago, but now it is just not an option. I used the ZEN16 because I could use momentary switches to control the on/off, and I was assuming a manual on from there would translate to a manual on the MCS, using the manual time setting I already have, preventing the gardener from leaving things on all day - installing a second device or panel is really not what I am looking for at this point.

thanks,

Scott

Comment

mcsSprinklers primary identification method for devices is the Code (e.g. r1). Ref was added as an extension, but there are some limits. For example, the predict device for the zone with device r1 is device r101. This methodology does not work when not using Code for identification. The easiest way to proceed to to give your valve devices a Code using the HCDC nomenclatures. Suggest "r" as the House Code as that is the default as shown in the below example of the HS /deviceutility page.

You should not need to do this for the sensors. Only for the zones.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1526651

I looked at your setup for WU and PWS. The PWS license resulted in "not authorized". I also did not have success with WU. A few years ago IBM bought out WU and the only option then became a commercial license. They backed off and provided a PWS service where downloads could occur at no cost if you have a PWS that is uploading data to IBM. I have not revisited this in a few years. Others that are using the IBM servers may be able to provide more input.

It is possible to have direct remote control of valves as long as mcsSprinklers is aware that the direct control is happening. If your landscaper is manually controlling the valve at the valve box then mcsSprinklers has no way to know what actions he/she may be taking. If your landscaper has some electronics control that goes through HomeSeer then mcsSprinklers should be able to be setup to recognize this remote control. Can you expand upon the provisions that you are providing to the landscaper?

Comment

mcsSprinklers primary identification method for devices is the Code (e.g. r1). Ref was added as an extension, but there are some limits. For example, the predict device for the zone with device r1 is device r101. This methodology does not work when not using Code for identification. The easiest way to proceed to to give your valve devices a Code using the HCDC nomenclatures. Suggest "r" as the House Code as that is the default as shown in the below example of the HS /deviceutility page.

You should not need to do this for the sensors. Only for the zones.
              I am unsure what this actually means, but I did change my valves to be W1-W3, in HS.
              Their address is still not just that code:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.18.35 AM.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1526732

I looked at your setup for WU and PWS. The PWS license resulted in "not authorized". I also did not have success with WU. A few years ago IBM bought out WU and the only option then became a commercial license. They backed off and provided a PWS service where downloads could occur at no cost if you have a PWS that is uploading data to IBM. I have not revisited this in a few years. Others that are using the IBM servers may be able to provide more input.

It is possible to have direct remote control of valves as long as mcsSprinklers is aware that the direct control is happening. If your landscaper is manually controlling the valve at the valve box then mcsSprinklers has no way to know what actions he/she may be taking. If your landscaper has some electronics control that goes through HomeSeer then mcsSprinklers should be able to be setup to recognize this remote control. Can you expand upon the provisions that you are providing to the landscaper?
              It this point I am not really concerned about the weather stuff, I know the codes are correct as I have a weather station that uses both to populate data 24/7.
              I have resorted to using HS device codes, I am just not sure they are in a format that MCS is looking for., looking here it does not look correct.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.22.05 AM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	1526733
              here are all the values I am using for my HS weather data.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.26.28 AM.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1526735Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.27.19 AM.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1526736Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.27.53 AM.jpg
Views:	96
ID:	1526737Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.28.28 AM.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1526738Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.28.49 AM.jpg
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	1526739Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.30.10 AM.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1526740Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.30.50 AM.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1526741Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.31.10 AM.jpg
Views:	97
ID:	1526742Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.31.34 AM.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	1526743Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.32.02 AM.jpg
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1526744

Also there are some stock/default looking entires that are not relevant to my system and I cannot figure out how to get rid of them:

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.23.39 AM.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1526734

I know the code sent from my Zen16 when the valves are manually operated are different than when MCS operates them - can you just key on those?
              A separate keypad or device is not what I want to do at this point as it would defeat all of the work I have done with the ZEN16.

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to look at this, I used your software MANY years ago under HS1 and HS2 - but I have forgotten all of that for now.

Comment

Well it looks like the manual control is now working as expected and how I need, I am not yet sure why...

I did change the valve devices to use a W1-W3 codes, I then put those codes in the remote control section.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.56.26 AM.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1526757

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 8.59.43 AM.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1526758
                Now when I hit the momentary switch at the ZEN16 it will water manually for the time I have set in the manual box.
                This is PERFECT - now I need to test if the switches will turn off an automatic cycle once it is going...

yay!

Comment

Michael McSharry I have a couple of open questions at this point:
                  1. Are my weather settings correct?
                  2. How can I get rid of the odd stock items, garden, flower bed, etc
                  3. how do I purchase the plugin?

thanks,

Scott

Comment

It is not clear to me where the "Rx" device came from. There is nothing in the code that provides names such as "Flower Bed". I will trace through the execution with your .ini flie to see what I learn a little later.

For the weather setttings I know the forecast is a problematic area. mcsSprinklers uses a forecast array while typical HS weather plugins use scalars. This means that where mcsSprinklers goes to look at the forecast two days in the future, the HS reference device will not contain such a forecast.

What I would like to do is understand why mcsSprinklers is not getting the weather data using the credentials that you have provided. The first guess is that WU and PWS licenses are swapped. What is the specific source of weather data that is populating your HS devices?

You have two options for licensing. One is to buy a HS license through HST store. The other is to run the standalone verison of mcsSprinklers and then integrate it with Homeseer. There is no cost to the second approach, but in your case I do not think it would work because you are depending upon HS to manage the Zen16. The only Zwave device that mcsSprinklers can natively manage is the GoControl irrigation. GoControl irrigation is not longer available from either HS store or GoControl.

Comment

I use UltraWeatherWU3 to pull data from WU. I have another server that actually populates that data from my local weather station. I found this easier than trying to pull data directly. However my current temp is pulled directly from my weather station xml.

If I send you the xml my weather station outputs could you check and see what values would work for where? I already have a script I could use to pull data into devices.

I will double check the license codes as I know they work as I am using them in multiple places.

Comment

What weather station are you using?

After IBM purchased WU (and Weather Channel data) I implemented what was documented at that time. It easily could have changed as IBM more completely completed the purchase.

The issue with the XML file vs. mcsSprinklers will be how the forecast is represented. It is usually structured over multiple days with individual items for each day. Sometime separate data exists for daytime and nightime. When mcsSprinklers pulls the data from a weather site. It strips all the data that is not used and all that is left is an array of five elements for max, min and forecast icon. This is why it is best to have mcsSprinklers pull forecast data. For current conditions it should not matter the source.

Comment

I use a Davis vantage station with WeatherSnoop software.

I can reformat the xml into a HS device or other however it is needed.
                          I have emailed you a copy of this xml.

I hope the data you need is there otherwise I have to solve the weather lookup blindly as I was before.

Comment

What is the interface on the Davis? mcsSprinklers supports two direct interfaces to Davis. The user manual contains information on this.

Comment

What is the interface on the Davis? mcsSprinklers supports two direct interfaces to Davis. The user manual contains information on this.
                              My WeatherSnoop is reading this data using a USB interface, I can't get that connection to HS, not without killing my current weather feeds and setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X