Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soaking inhibit behavior

Michael,

I'm using "Time delay after cycle to allow moisture sensor to register moisture" (soaking inhibit) for two areas using Measured control strategy. I've noticed that the soaking delay is enforced not only between cycles of a single zone, but also between cycles of separate zones in the area. For example, I have two zones in an area that were below the trigger moisture content at the time my overnight time inhibit concluded this morning. The first zone cycled and then the soaking inhibit prevented the 2nd zone starting until the inhibit expired. With relatively long soaking periods and several zones, this has significant impact on watering schedule.

Would you consider changing the soaking inhibit to be applied zone by zone rather than across zones in the Area? One soaking inhibit duration for the entire area seems sufficient (as opposed to allowing separate durations for each zone), so not requesting that each zone be configurable with separate values.

Thank you for considering it.
    -Wade

I think you are asking for an Area page setting for the user to select applying the soaking delay on an Area or on a Zone. This means that as long as the Area remains On and the setting is set to Area, then only one soaking delay will be applied. Please confirm.

Comment

Not avoiding your question as much as likely not fully grasping it, but to put my request another way: I would like the soaking delay to apply to each zone individually. I.e., after a zone completes it can only run again once the soaking delay has expired. I would like the soaking delay to *not* apply between zones within an area. I.e., when 2 (or more) zones are calling for water (moisture below trigger threshold, no other inhibits), I don't want the soaking delay after the 1st zone completes to prevent start of the 2nd zone. I then want the soaking delay to apply to the 2nd zone independent of the soaking delay on the 1st zone. Etc.

I suppose I'm asking for the soaking delay to be a zone setting rather than an area setting, although I don't have an opinion on where it's actually configured in the settings menus nor whether there's one setting (value) that applies to all zones within an area, or an individual setting for each zone.

Hope this is more clear.
      -Wade

Comment

Let us visualize this. Assume an Area exists with three zones and all run for 20 minutes. It is now time to irrigate two of these. The settings for Round Robin are

Click image for larger version

Name:	0.png
Views:	63
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	1549632

With this setup I would expect Zone 1 to run for 5 minutes. A delay of 1 minute. Zone 2 to run for 5 minutes. A delay of 1 minute. Another delay of 10 minutes. Zone 1 runs for 5 minutes, etc. for the four round-robin cycles.

What variance in this scheduling would you like to see?

What would you like to see if Zone 3 reaches the moisture threshold after Zone 1 and 2 have been running for two cycles?

Comment

I believe you explained previously that round robin doesn't work with sensor control strategy, although I haven't found our exchange on the subject in briefly searching. Is that incorrect? If it does work, then perhaps round robin and no soaking delay will work for me.

If I'm correct that round robin won't work in this case, then I would hope for the following to occur (combining your example with mine above, and add a 30 minute soaking delay):

1. Time inhibit (overnight in my case) expires, and Zones 1 & 2 are below moisture threshold (no other inhibits active).
          2. Zone 1 runs for it's programmed 20 minutes.
          3. Zone 2 starts its 20 minute cycle immediately after zone 1 finishes.
          4. If Zone 1 moisture threshold still isn't met, it starts 10 minutes after Zone 2 finishes (after 30 minute soaking delay expires).
          5. If Zone 2 moisture threshold still isn't met, it starts again immediately after Zone 1 since its 30 minute soak delay will have just expired.
          6. This continues for each zone until the threshold is met.

If Zone 3 drops to trigger moisture while the above is happening, then it simply becomes part of the cycle in its turn. E.g.,

1. Time inhibit expires.
          2. Zone 1 runs 20 minutes, during which Zone 3 drops to trigger threshold.
          3. Zone 2 starts immediately after Zone 1 ends.
          4. Zone 3 starts immediately after after Zone 2 ends.
          5. Zone 1 restarts immediately after Zone 3 ends (assuming moisture is still below trigger threshold) because it's 30 minute soak inhibit will have cleared.
          6. Continue for each zone until threshold is met.

I don't pretend to understand how the complex programming logic works in the plugin, nor do I know anything about verbally describing software logic/actions. But for this small part of it, I'm *think* I'm suggesting that the soaking inhibit be applied to individual zones independently and for each cycle of that zone. Currently it appears to be applied to the Area, so a soak inhibit is applied anytime any zone in the area runs, thus delaying other zones in the area from running.

I just remembered that a single sensor can be used for an Area, or each Zone can have its own sensor. I have separate sensors for each zone. The functionality I'm requesting isn't meaningful when a single sensor is used for an Area. It's also increasingly important as the soak delay increases. I.e., with a 60 minute soak delay, Zone 3 above wouldn't start until over 2 hours after Zone 1 is complete.
          -Wade

Comment

I was thinking about round robin when referring to soaking delay. You are likely correct about Moisture sensor and Round Robin not being compatible. I believe the setup your are referring to is

Name:	0.png
Views:	65
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1549679

vs.

Name:	1.png
Views:	55
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1549680

where you are using the second with a sensor for each zone. In this case it does make sense that the logic should apply for the zone since each zone has its own sensor. Let me look into how to accomplish this. I had forgotten I later provided zone-level sensor inputs.

Comment

Thank you Michael.
              -Wade

Comment

Please confirm this is the behavior you desire. Setup is two minutes for each of three zones in Area 1. Moisture sensor by zone and 5 minute soaking delay. Two of three zones have moisture sensor @30% with threshold @40%. Two zones run in sequence then first zone starts again after it has been OFF for 5 minutes. Same for the second zone. After changing the sensor to 50% then the cycle stops.

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1550826

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1550827

Comment

Yes that is the behavior I'm looking for. Thank you.
                  -Wade

Comment

I put the update at 2.22.0.7 at http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsSprinklers_22207.zip. It goes into the HS folder.

Comment

Thanks Michael. I've installed the new dll and will report back if any issues.

One note...the dll was in <HS root>/bin/mcssprinklers/ rather than the HS folder on my system.
                      -Wade

Comment

<HS root>/bin/mcssprinklers/ is a better location. On early installs it was in the root. The search path starts with the root so if it was also in the root it would not find a new one in the<HS root>/bin/mcssprinklers/. At a convenient time remove it from the root and put it in <HS root>/bin/mcssprinklers/

Comment

Done, thanks.
                          -Wade

Comment

Working...
                          X