Master Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Valve

So I installed a Homeseer Water Valve (3522 in my case) in front of my sprinkler to fully turn off the water when not irrigating. No matter what, there is always some leakage on the heads (and I had the water guy increase the pressure this year so it is bound to be worse this year).

Last year, I somehow set up this with MCS SprinklersP so that the program would turn on the valve prior to watering and after it finished. Off is value zero, on is 255.

I re-enabled the irrigation system for the spring, and the device status is showing up as "failed". I can control the valve (3522) from the open/close buttons just fine. MCS Sprinklers is not controlling it.

I have updated the plugin, but I don't think I change anything. I think I did notice the master valve wasn't set in the picture below (second one- HS 3522).

Anyways, regardless of how I got here, any pointers for fixing this?

I wan't to turn on 3522 prior to a watering cycle and turn it off afterwards....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.04.24 AM.png
Views:	76
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1614547Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.05.34 AM.png
Views:	42
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1614548
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

I am not clear what your setup is for Master Valve. mcsSprinklers supports two related capabilities. One is the "Valve Protect" device that is turned ON before any other valve is turned ON and then OFF after all valves are turned OFF. This is setup on the Other Page.

The second is a valve that is not assigned to an Area that can be activated under user/event control from HS. I think this is what you have setup by adding it as a valve on the Wiring page.

In both cases, the best way to debug is with the debug file when Ref 3522 is being used.

Comment

Ok, it sounds like I want the protect. It is just an in line water valve that is Z-wave controlled. I added 3522 to that protect value on others and saved it.

I am having a hard time deleting a wiring harness that inadventently has the 3522 in it. Should i edit the sprinkler.ini file?

Do I need to add 3522 (or in my case keep) to the page for device MCS sprinklers uses?

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 11.54.58 AM.png
Views:	39
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1614564Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 11.55.03 AM.png
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1614565
      Attached Files

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

If you used the interview to setup your configuration then you will likely need to go back to the interview step to change it there. What I do is use Expert mode setting at the bottom of the Other Page and this gives me visibility and control of everything without considering interview answers. Editing the .ini file is another options.

I would need to experiment about specifics of Valve Protect device setup. It is not very often used and the HS Ref capability was added relatively recently. My guess is that it is only needed on the Other Page.

Comment

Ok- I unchecked the site setup on the interview and I removed the HS device and the harness.

I entered the reference into the others tab and only there.
          ------------------------------

Using the general status page, I was able to turn on a valve, but the water did not kick on.

I turned on the master valve from HS and it watered. When I turned the zone off, HS reported the Master Valve (3522) to be closed. Half way there I believe.

I turned a zone back on, and the status graphic for the master valve went to unknown. After a little digging, I discovered that the valve values are 0 for off and 255 for on, BUT the plugin is using 0 and 100 respectively I believe. A mismatch.

I could create an event where if the valve is set to 100 (by the plugin), it sets valve to 255... but I am wondering if there is something I am missing? Seems an unnecessary step. Might be a good debug step.

-----------------------------------------
          Another thing I failed to mention since I last used the plugin was I was on Windows and I am now on Linux. I run in a docker container.

The reason I bring this up is I tried to open up one of the General Debug logs on the other page, and I got a 404 error. I noticed the permissions here were different. I can access the files with a docker bash session.

root@homeseer:/homeseer/html/mcsSprinklers/data# ls -al
          total 105800
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 13 15:19 .
          drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Feb 16 19:34 ..
          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31402672 May 13 00:00 mcsSprinklers_GeneralDebug5_12_2023_4_54_26_PM.txt
          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 583686 May 13 10:18 mcsSprinklers_GeneralDebug5_13_2023_10_14_36_AM.txt
          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28672 May 13 10:21 mcsSprinklers_GeneralDebug5_13_2023_10_21_09_AM.txt

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

So when I do this (open the value when the value is set to 100), it works great.

For some reason, the value getting set to zero reports it in the status but doesn't ACTUALLY close it?!?!
            I had to do the inverse to close it. (ie. when value is set to 0, close it)

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 3.49.13 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1614621

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 3.53.02 PM.png
Views:	36
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1614622

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Look at the controls available for 3522. When mcsSprinklers receives a request to control the Ref it looks in the CAPI definition that is available on the HS Devices Page, Status Graphics Tab. A view of mcsSprinklers General Debug file will show the logic the plugin is using in response to control requests.

Comment

Here is the status page (the is a HS Water Valve- I have two of them). I am a little confused why "control use" is on for close.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 9.52.10 PM.png
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1614658

I see these in the log file with regards to my valve. Not sure what they mean-- but I have a couple of events that have everything working for now.

5/13/2023 2:50:26 PM 638195862265908060 | mcsSprinklers Debug | Zone Manual On=False, zones ubound=11, alias zone=-1, StatusRespone=False, iX10CommandedZone=6, iX10CommandedStatus=2, iStatus=17, iZone=-1
                5/13/2023 2:50:27 PM 638195862272004910 | mcsSprinklers Debug | Commanding 397 to 17, is an Ailias=False,LastChange=5/13/2023 2:50:27 PM, Status=17gInternallyCommandedDevice = 3522
                5/13/2023 2:50:27 PM 638195862272005030 | mcsSprinklers Debug | Zone Manual On=False, zones ubound=11, alias zone=-1, StatusRespone=False, iX10CommandedZone=6, iX10CommandedStatus=2, iStatus=17, iZone=-1​

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Looking at the source I see there is not specific debug for sending commands. What mcsSprinklers is doing for the Master is sending a "on" or "off" command. Your device is defined as "open" and "close" for the controls accepted. I do not see why it will work at all, but I am glad it does.

I can make the CAPI handler smarter to fallback to 0 and not 0 if the label on or off is not found. Let me know if you want me to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    Looking at the source I see there is not specific debug for sending commands. What mcsSprinklers is doing for the Master is sending a "on" or "off" command. Your device is defined as "open" and "close" for the controls accepted. I do not see why it will work at all, but I am glad it does.

I can make the CAPI handler smarter to fallback to 0 and not 0 if the label on or off is not found. Let me know if you want me to do this.
                    Huh, the on/off versus open/close seems odd.... I am not sure why it works either.

I'd say don't make any changes for something we don't understand

This is the HS Z-wave water valve..

https://homeseer.com/z-wave-water-valves/

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                    X