X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with 2.6.10 and HS1

Regards, Bob

Michael,

Any thoughts on this. Spring is here and I need to start watering soon.
    Regards, Bob

Comment

This internet access thing has become a real hassle. The earlier versions you were running used an Window's API capability to download internet data that I have been using for years. Some were indicating that they were not getting updates so I moved over to use an invisible instance of IE.

What is interesting about your observation in Task Manager is that IE memory utilization is growing. I destroy each IE object and recreate a new one for each new access. Task manager seems to indicate that IE is not really being destroyed, but its reused and memory grows.

The other bad thing is that IE is off doing its own thing and the error is raised at the user window and not within the application that created the object. I do have event handlers for IE errors, but these do not appear to be firing in your case.

I suspect my next step is to provide both mechanism to download data and make it a user option. I will also look again at the IE implementation to see if I can do anything else to avoid this problem.

Comment

Thanks for looking into it. I'll just wait for a solution before reverting back to the older version - provided it won't be too long a wait.
        Regards, Bob

Comment

I did find some reports of ill-behaved IE operation when multiple IE objects are used. The solution is to open a new window for each IE, but I was unable to find any way for IE to open a new window and keep the window hidden. I implemented a IE-use queue so only one instance was active at a time. I also put in a switch on the Other page to select between IE and API. I would like you to evaluate with the IE use to determine if this queing solved the problem. If not then select the API method. I'm on the road and cannot do too much testing, but I wanted to get some feedback since I did not have the same IE problem that you have. The update for evaluation is attached here.
          Last edited by Michael McSharry; July 11, 2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Michael

The new version seems to have fixed the problem with the periodic crashes. Thanks for the help. BTW version number still reads 2.6.15.
            Regards, Bob

Comment

Working...
            X