Communication Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Problem

I recently purchased a new Startech NETRS232 http://us.startech.com/product/NETRS...hernet-Adapter

So that I could move my computer away from my Rain8net modules and into a more central location. I guess that I thought that installing this device would be simple and within my capabilities but I fear that I am in over my head and I am hoping that someone on here may be able to offer me some insight.

First I installed the Startech device as per the instructions and activated it and I could see the device and I could see it in Windows device manager with a comm port number of 5, when I type in the IP address that I assigned to the Startech device it opens the dialog box for the device, I can also do this from other computers on the LAN so I believe that it has been installed correctly. I have left the Startech device in the driver mode as I don't know enough about it to risk changing, although I would if that could be the issue.

So when I start the mcsSprinklers software I see on the Serial IO page "No open serial ports" and "No serial communication" On the Rain8 Interface Setup page I have changed the comm port to 5, but still no communication. I have tried entering the static IP address that I assigned to the Startech device but still it doesn't work. I have probably gone as far as I can with this and I'm hopeful that someone else has a similar setup and can shed some light on the situation for me. Thanks in advance

Have you tried to control a valve such as manually from the General Status or Zone Status pages? mcsSprinklers does not open the port until there is a need.

I believe mcsSprinklers will produce an error if something else has the port open and you try to use it with mcsSprinklers too.

mcsSprinklers PRO does support the Raw mode where you are not dependent upon OS drivers, but the Device mode should be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      Have you tried to control a valve such as manually from the General Status or Zone Status pages? mcsSprinklers does not open the port until there is a need.

I believe mcsSprinklers will produce an error if something else has the port open and you try to use it with mcsSprinklers too.

mcsSprinklers PRO does support the Raw mode where you are not dependent upon OS drivers, but the Device mode should be OK.
      Thanks Michael, After digging into this a little more there's a chance that I have a issue with the hardware. Thanks again for your help and support.

Comment

I guess that I am going to have to ask once again for some help with this issue as I have now tried two serial adapters and both have behaved the same way. Here is where I am at.

1. I can see the adapter on my lan and I can open the web interface on the adapter from any computer on the lan, I know what the IP address is and I know that the adapter uses port 4098
        2. I get an error message. OpenRain8Net_Socket 10.0.0.111:4098 Line 103 A connect request was made on an already connected socket
        I don't know what that means but I'm sure that it is important
        3. The adapter allows for many different modes of operation. I have tried Raw Server Mode, Raw Client Mode and Driver mode, without any success. This seems like the likely reason that I can't communicate with the Rain8 devices.
        4. The green lights on the Rain8 devices never flash so I am fairly certain that nothing is getting through to them
        5. On the raw IO log I see the following entry at the top: Rain8 Net(0) opened on 10.0.0.111:4098
        Does this mean that the port is open?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

I utilize the Rain8Net tester application provided by company such that I can test the Rain8Net before connecting it to MCS Sprinklers. Gives me a fast visual of connectivity.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            I utilize the Rain8Net tester application provided by company such that I can test the Rain8Net before connecting it to MCS Sprinklers. Gives me a fast visual of connectivity.
            Thanks for the reply Pete. Do you mean the Rain8 software that you use to provide the initial parogram? And if so how do you make it so that it works on a port number > 4000? Thanks for your help

Comment

It looks to me as if you are trying to use the device in Raw Server Mode per Section D of their manual which means you need to confirure the device for this mode of operation. When you do this you also need to specify 4800 baud, no parity, 8 bits, no flow using their configuration utility.

This also means that you will not have a virtual COM port driver installed (or at least active) that is trying to make a connection to the device. Only one connection to a port can be used at the same time. I get the impression from Section C of their manual that the COM driver is automatically installed during setup, but you do need to enable the ports. In your case, you will not be enabling these.

I did not see port 4098 in their manual. I also did not see the HTTP or Telnet ports specified either. You just need to be certain that 4098 is the raw data port and not used for something like setting up the configuration.

The indication that 4098 was open at the top of the Serial IO page means that it was able to connect to port 4098. The message in the log seems to indicate that 4098 was already connected to something else. This seems like inconsistent feedback.

After trying to turn a valve ON or OFF from the General Status page you will see communications in the Serial IO Page. This is valuable diagnostic.

If you want to use the device in Driver Mode then you will be entering the COM port (e.g. 5) in your original post and leaving the IP part of the setup blank in mcsSprinklers. This means the device needs to be configured for Driver Mode. What you cannot do is try to use it in both modes together.

Comment

Here's what you'll see with the diagnostics Michael is mentioning using MCS Sprinklers.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Pete; March 12, 2011, 09:36 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.

I am still struggling with the serial adapter and now I am getting a new message coming from mcsSprinklers.

3/16/2011 10:57:02 AM | OpenRain8NetPort Line 30 Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

I suppose that I will need to deal with that before I move on to the next issue, can anyone help me out on what it likely causing this error message?

Comment

3/16/2011 10:57:02 AM | OpenRain8NetPort Line 30 Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
                    You are not being clear on how you are trying to use the serial adapter. The above message looks as if you are trying to connect not via IP, but but using a COM port. The driver for the COM port emulation is reporting back the resources message.

Please identify the mode you setup your serial adapter and the settings used in mcsSprinklers to connect to this device.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                      You are not being clear on how you are trying to use the serial adapter. The above message looks as if you are trying to connect not via IP, but but using a COM port. The driver for the COM port emulation is reporting back the resources message.

Please identify the mode you setup your serial adapter and the settings used in mcsSprinklers to connect to this device.
                      Michael - I'm not very good with this stuff I guess so I aplogize for the fundamental questions. I currently have the following settings.
                      Mode: driver - Is the driver mode the best to use for this application?
                      Http Port: 80
                      Telnetport:80
                      Assigned TCP port:4098
                      Baud Rate:4800
                      Data Bits:8
                      Parity: None
                      Stop Bits: 1
                      Flow Control: None
                      I have com33 entered into mcsSprinklers in the Rain8 Setup page with no IP adress, the com33 number came from device manager.

Comment

The error message that was given by mcsSprinklers happened when it tried to open the port mapped via the Windows driver. In the mcsSprinklers setup you should use 33 and not COM33. If you continue to have problems with the driver then you will need to try to get help from tech support of the device as the driver is their software.

The other appoach is to configure the device for raw server rather than device driver mode. In this case, however, I do not know what the port number would be since that was not disclosed in the manual that I reviewed. If you do find the port then you would enter it and the IP in mcsSprinklers setup. It is unlikely that 4098 is the raw data port as it looks as if this port is the one that is able to communicate with the protocol used by the driver. This protocol typically includes things such as setting up the baud rate. You also may need to deal with deselecting the mapped COM port as both the driver and mcsSprinklers may be trying to talk to the device at the same time.

Comment

Thank you Michael for your help with this. Can you suggest a serial adapter that can be utilized by someone without a lot of technical networking experience? Some of these devices seem very confusing and difficult to setup and I really don't have the experience to properly configure them, or at least the one that I had. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

If you are talking IP/Serial then the GlobalCache iTach WiFi/RS-232 from the HS store is known to be workable and used recently by a few in the mcsSprinklers threads.
                            If you are talking USB/Serial then I use the two port Byterunner. They use the FTDI chipset which is well supported in the Windows OS world. The Edgeport is also very popular in for a surplus solution. I have used those as well with good result.

Comment

I'm having similar problems. I'm using a Global Cache WIFI2SL unit with version 2.10 of Mcssprinklers as a plug-in. It seems to work very well. If the Wifi connection is interrupted at all, however, the plug-in seems to be unable to reconnect without a restart of HS. The error message is as follows:

OpenRain8Net_Socket 192.168.1.157:4999 Line 103 A connect request was made on an already connected socket

When in this state, I can ping the Global Cache device and open a web browser to it. It seems to be an issue with the plug-in. This is a major problem for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X