mcsSprinklers Version 2.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcsSprinklers Version 2.11

From a feature perspective there is not that much new for V2.11, but under the hood there is a signficant change to allow mcsSprinklers run in an embedded traget under Linux. The embedded version is not yet released. The prototype embedded environment in which it is running is a Seagate dockstar which is a scaled down version of the Marvel SheevaPlug that was announced for the Hometroller 3.

There is some movement of capbilities between the setup pages. Picture entry now has its own setup page. There is a Site Setup page that replaces the prior Restrictions Setup and includes some of the site-oriented setup that was previously on the Other Page.

New Capabilities
    Significant internal update for Mono/Linux target
    Optimizations for small client targets
    Improve remote orientation to support embedded (Plug Computer) target such as with pictures and debug
    Internal updater for beta and new releases
    EtherRain support for 100% IP connectivity
    SSL option for email
    SQLite option for database
    Additional water use management
    Additional protections for invalid inputs
    Various bug fixes uncovered during updates
    XML format for WeatherUndergroud
    Utilize solar radiation as input for soil moisture calculation

Homeseer Issues
    1. HS Server does not support multipart forms to upload picture. To overcome this use internal mcsSprinklers server to upload new pictures.
    2. Hometroller/PRO-100 does not support annual graphics. To overcome this select HTML charts or upgrade to .NET 3.5SP1 if you have a USB stick with at least .NET 3.0.

Linux Issues
    1. Pictures of greater than 8192 bytes not uploaded. Mono returns only first block of multi-block HTTP downloads prior to declaring the stream complete.
    2. Security credentials not handled for username/password WAN access. Mono is not dealing with credentials.
    Last edited by Michael McSharry; May 5, 2011, 02:05 PM.

Micheal,
    Is there/will there be a stand-alone version of v2.11?

Comment

Yes and Yes. http://mcsSprinklers.com/setup_v211.exe

Comment

Wow, that was fast! Installed it and so far, seems stable. Because of recent weather, I have it manually paused, so am anxious to see how it runs. One issue that I had before was that occassionally, after updating to a newer version, the program couldn't find some/most of my images associated with areas and some zones. Really like the way you have a separate page to manage these images.

Comment

Im excited to see that the latest version supports EtherRain. In another thread however, you mentioned that EtherRain had some limitations. What features are and are not supported. Thanks.

- Jim -
          My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

The Pro version has the EtherRain support. All of mcsSprinklers features are supported, but there are some limitations due to the hardware. Only one of the 7 or 8 valves of an EtherRain module can be run at a time. This affects the abilty to run zones based upon trying to maximize water volume use for such things as keeping a well pump from cycling.

The pump is also affected in that mcsSprinklers will no longer be able to manage a pump, but the user must rely on the 7/1 version of the EtherRain where the eighth valve of the module is slaved to the other seven. The same is true for Fertigation.

The EtherRain has no input provisions so any water flow input or discrete inhibit (e.g. rain sensor) cannot be processed through this hardware as it could with the Rain8Net/UPB.

mcsSprinklers will allow two areas to run in parallel if desired as long as different EtherRain modules are assigned to the different areas. This does provide a mechanism to reduce run times when sufficient water pressure is available.

Comment

Hello Michael,

I updated mcsSprinklers this morning to current version. On boot up it shows the following:

4/28/2011 9:03:10 AM - mcsSprinklers - Version 2.11.0.1 | V2.11.0.1/2.11.0.1 (Professional) Copyright 2004-2011 mcsSolutions Registered with Homeseer
              4/28/2011 9:03:10 AM - Plug-In - Initializing Plug-in: mcsSprinklersP
              4/28/2011 9:03:22 AM - Plug-In - Finished initializing plug-in mcsSprinklersP
              When I check the setup though it appears to show it unregistered.

I've installed the TS piece now into HSTouch screens and it works well.

It would be nice to see what it is that's running though on HSTouch (IE: like mcsSprinkler title and version number in very small print maybe?)

Last edited by Pete; April 28, 2011, 11:58 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The registration is based upon the .lf file and if it is running then it appears HS has recognized it as registered. There is not much I can do at that end of it.

The touch page is very dense so there is not much real estate that can be used for a dedicated position. What may be an option is to allow one of the 6 user-selectable status devices to be the version info.

There are some issues with V2.11 related specifically to the multi-module Rain8Net that I need to work through and should be able to get to it now that I have returned from my recent travels. There is also additional analyis of data that kvebo has provided for initialization in particular and some of the earlier issues.

Comment

Thanks Michael.

Regarding the registration, I clicked on the trial button and re-registered it and all is well.

I was able to fit a return to the main screen on a smaller button. One of the two will have the version # on it.

I have not enabled the sprinkler system yet with the two Rain8Nets. It'll probably be around middle of May or so.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; April 29, 2011, 12:40 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    The EtherRain has no input provisions so any water flow input or discrete inhibit (e.g. rain sensor) cannot be processed through this hardware as it could with the Rain8Net/UPB.
                    Hi Micheal,
                    Just a quick correction: EtherRain does have a rain sensor input that can work with a commercial rain sensor, and will report the status of the sensor back to a central controller. EtherRain doesn't have analog/pressure or counter inputs as you have correctly stated.

Thanks for taking the time to integrate ER in!
                    Cheers,
                    Jim

Comment

Jim, You are correct about the rain sensor capability of the EtherRain hardware, but it was not integrated with mcsSprinklers.

The rain sensor can be used with the EtherRain to work in the same way that the standard rain sensor works with non-automated controllers by cutting the 24VAC off from the valve. It was not integrated with mcsSprinklers because mcsSprinklers does not have the ability to change anything based upon the rain sensor input. The rain sensor it more than a sensor when viewed via the EtherRain, but a switch as well. It will always inhibit the valve from operating.

While the input is available, it was not included with mcsSprinklers to know that the inhibit was active. This is probably something that can be added, but I would think that a HS user that wants a rain sensor would wire the rain sensor to another available input processed by HS and then provide this status as the standard discrete input for mcsSprinkers to use. This then allows the user the abilty to enable/disable logically via web page. The soil moisture calculation will provide a better measure of moisture level that is provided by a rain sensor so it is questionable if such a sensor should be used with mcsSprinklers.

For those interested in the EtherRain... I will report back that Jim has been very responsive and proactive in helping get mcsSprinklers and the EtherRain working together. The EtherRain was designed to satisfy a different market niche than the Rain8 so it was a little difficult for me to get my head around as to how it should be controlled. Jim was very patient and also constructive on making the interface as easy as possible for the end user.

Comment

Working...
                      X