connection advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connection advice

I just installed the Pro plug-in and I'm starting to configure things. I have 2 Rain8 to start with. I know there are several different ways to communicate with HS but not sure which is best for me. I am moving everything from an old Vista OS to a Win7 which has no on board serial ports, USB only. I've run in to several issues with Win7 and finally figured out that the serial to USB converter has to be Win7 compliant.

My primary question is this: If/How can I get from Rain8 module to the Win7 machine reliably? I prefer not to use wifi. I can get an ethernet cable between the two but I've never researched converting from one to the other. Also keeping in mind whatever I use has to be Win7 compatible.

does anyone have suggestions?

I see where some of this was covered in another post today.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=148887

Since I already have a GL-100 I think I can use that as the interface but I'm unsure of the IP/Serial conversion.

Comment

I am not familiar with GL-100, but I assume you mean the GC-100 with the RS-232 interface. You should be able to go the same route as your referenced post using a Win 7 Driver from Global Cache to make the RS-232 look like a local COM serial port on the PC. You can also go the route of bypassing the driver and setting up mcsSprinklers to talk directly IP to the device. I do not know if the port structure is the same as with their iTach series. What you are looking for is how to setup the GC-100 to act in RAW server mode so any byte sent to it via IP it will put on the RS-232 interface and the same in the other direction.

Comment

Working...
      X