Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it make sense to upgrade my version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it make sense to upgrade my version?

Hey, long time no see! ... mcs sprinklers really brings back some good memories ... esp. discussing these features with you during the best testing.

Anyways, I'm still running standalone version 2.9.35 for the last couple years and finding it very stable and reliable. I do have a davis weatherstation with ET, but have just been uploading the weather data to wunderground and having mcs sprinklers use the data from there (i.e. not using ET).

I'm still use (3) Rain8Net controllers which communicate via. the Lantronix EPS1 you helped me with.

What I'd like to do (eventually) is get the latest version of mcs sprinklers (standalone) installed on my new (main) computer ... but use my daughters (existing) as the backup machine, or fallback should things not work out during the migration/upgrade.

Is the process still to just install on my new machine, then copy over files from the old ... and then work out the issues I might encounter?

I'm just a little (ok, a lot) worried about messing with something thats been working great for me for a couple years now. I know you must have made lots of improvements since ... but I'm afraid ... lol

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

p.s. by the way, I got into a new hobby in the few years ... check it out: http://www.rockinchristmas.com

There is a dramatic change in the internals between V2.9 and V2.11 so if V2.9 does what you want I see no reason to use this year's model. V2.11 is headed for execution in a 5 watt linux plug computer and be divorced from the PC world where it needs to coexist with Windows and other applications. If you have your setup.exe installer from V2.9 then run it and then copy files.

Where minor functional additions have occurred along the way the two main things that come to mind are associated with water use managment and the focus of 100% browser access such as for debug access and software upgrades.

If you have problems with scheduling logic or whatever then you find the support for V2.9 is restricted. In the future Microsoft will be selling OS's that no longer support the underlying capabilities that are used in V2.9. VB6 is at end of life so no new operating systems will have any need to continue to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      There is a dramatic change in the internals between V2.9 and V2.11 so if V2.9 does what you want I see no reason to use this year's model. V2.11 is headed for execution in a 5 watt linux plug computer and be divorced from the PC world where it needs to coexist with Windows and other applications. If you have your setup.exe installer from V2.9 then run it and then copy files.

Where minor functional additions have occurred along the way the two main things that come to mind are associated with water use managment and the focus of 100% browser access such as for debug access and software upgrades.

If you have problems with scheduling logic or whatever then you find the support for V2.9 is restricted. In the future Microsoft will be selling OS's that no longer support the underlying capabilities that are used in V2.9. VB6 is at end of life so no new operating systems will have any need to continue to support it.

Michael, You mention above that your software is headed for a 5 watt linux plug computer and that has peaked my intrest, do you have a timeline for when this may take place? I would love to get my computer out of the irrigation loop and just let the plug computer handle that job. If you are looking for testers I would be happy to help, I may not be the best as I am not as computer savy as some, but I am certainly interested. Thanks for all of your continued support.

Jim

Comment

It is probably about the same timeframe as the HS plug computer. I have two hurdles. First is I want V2.11 stable and the second is I need to port what has been running in a Dockstart/Debian varian of the plug computer on a SD card to the EProm of the plug computer. I was also hoping for the plug computer version announced at Comdex, but they have not yet hit the street. The 1.2G dockstar version is plenty fast enough for 100 zone system.

Comment

Working...
        X