Plug Computer Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug Computer Update

Michael, Can you give us a update on how things are progressing with the software for the 5 watt Linux plug computer? I believe that at one time you thought that it might be out this summer. Thanks for all of your help and support.

Jim

I have an image that is available for a repurposed Pogoplug and for a SheevaPlug. The SheevaPlug can be installed in the internal nand eprom while the PogoPlug runs off of a USB stick. I have not yet pursued pricing for the SheevaPlug. The marketplace is dumping the PogoPlug so the hardware is under the $50 price point. Contact me mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net if you are interested in deploying.

Comment

I purchased a "Pink" PogoPlug for $33 last week with free shipping. Small footprint.

It was some sort of coupon combo; do a search. I just went to the site and its $39. (same as Buy dot com).

mcsSprinklers works well; speedwise I can't really tell the difference between the HS mcsSprinklers plugin and the Linux version running on the Pink PogoPlug.
      Attached Files
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

This is an interesting toe in to linux. How is this talking to the sprinkler controller? Is there an interface from linux to devices defined in homseer via XAP?

Thanks

Paul
        Paul

Comment

It is the same interface to the valves as the Windows version. Either ethernet or USB out of the plug computer and then to RS-232, UPB or X10 via USB/Serial or Ethernet/Serial adapter. No adapter is needed for Etherrain rather than Rain8. xAP output is also possible for other valve controller hardware that can speak xAP via ethernet.

Comment

Working well here. Switching over from the HS to the PogoPlug this week for some "live" testing. Same interface that I have been used to with the HS version now for years.

The PogoPlug is almost small enough to fit inside of the old Rainbird box with the two Rain8Net's.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

So what's the advantage going this route?

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The size of the Sheeva Plug, one device for just mcsSprinklers, one USB dongle is running the application. Using HS and XAP you can integrate it and use it with HSTouch. Its the same touchscreen whether its on HS or not.

ArchLinux never breaks and you actually have to shut it down; it won't on its own ever shut down.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,
                  What version of PogoPlug are you using? Seems there are several available - P01, P21, P02. All of various prices. Can you mention where you got yours?

Comment

I have ported it to SheevaPlug, PogoPlug P02 (Pink), PogoPlug PRO (Black) with configurations I'm trying to support with ArchLinux which is the same as will be used by HST when they release their new SheevaPlug-based product. I have also done it to Dockstar using Debian, but dont expect to maintain Debian linage.

Pete is a special person who has helped me and many. I have been working with him with development files in the linux environment. In general I do not expect to release the files for users to install mcsSprinklers in their linux environment, but I will provide a configured platform. There is just too much of a support issue with just providing software and then trying to figure out why there are issues on a user's hardware. If you are interested in a configured PogoPlug IP or PogoPlug WiFi then email at mcsSolutions at CenturyTel dot net.

I do not know what the HST policy is going to be for developer support of plugins in their new linux platform. If it is attractive then I will port mcsSprinklers to it since the work has been essentially done for the ArchLinux environment. If developer provisions are not available then I will pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                      I do not know what the HST policy is going to be for developer support of plugins in their new linux platform. If it is attractive then I will port mcsSprinklers to it since the work has been essentially done for the ArchLinux environment. If developer provisions are not available then I will pass.
                      Thank you Michael. That is a great answer and explains a lot.

Paul
                      Paul

Comment

Here is picture of two setups.

One with the Pink PogoPlug and the other with the Seagate Dockstar. The Dockstar is small enough to fit in the Rainbird box with two Rain8Net's.
                        Attached Files
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I was able to plug in the two memory sticks from the Pink Pogo Plug into the Seagate Dockstar to run ArchLinux on it. Started right up.

I did notice that the installation instructions for Archlinux with Jeff's Uboot were identical to the Pink Pogoplug. Originally I was running Debian Linux on the Seagate Dockstar. It has been getting live and ancillary weather data via XAP from Cumulus and Homeseer. Working fine. Historically I've added a Midon Temp08 device via a USB to Serial connection. Right now though have used up all of the Seagate Dockstar USB ports except for the top one; so I would have to go to a USB hub to add more.

My goal is to take the Seagate Dockstar network/power/serial to USB to the inside of the Rainbird box. The Seagate Dockstar only has 128Mb compared to the Pink Pogo Plug having 256Mb. Not really seeing a performance hit yet. Now in search of the smallest USB to Serial device that I can find. I am using the small micro HP memory sticks; which have a very small footprint. Once completed will take a picture. Right now just the Rain8Nets, Cheaper RFID and one DS10A is inside of the Rainbird box.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have seen the limited RAM become an issue over time as gargage collection does not occur sufficiently soon before swap memory is used. The default setup for the linux client is to have the mcsSprinklers process restart itself at each midnight and then also restart mcsSprinklers if for any reason its process disappears. Pages that can use much ram, such as the Sprinkler Status page that has the HTML moisture graphic will place high demands on RAM with all the HTML requests to serve the components of the HTML moisture graph.

Comment

Pete,

Do you like running ArchLinux better than Debian? I've been trying to get all my dockstars setup with Debian.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X