No announcement yet.

Etherrain support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I replaced my rainbird with my rain8net+'s I didn't bother to connect the sponge sensor thinking that I didn't need it if I was using weather data from WU or Accuweather. Would it be worth just connecting it anyway - though, I'm not sure how to configure the rain8net+ to use it?
    The sponge sensor is connected between the 24VAC and the Rain8Net when used in a classical setup or used as the switch input to mcsSprinklers. The former will remove power from the Rain8Net so it is not a good idea for an automated system. The switch input would be configured as a discrete input inhibit. It would have the effect of delaying irrigation cycles if the sponge remains wet when mcsSprinklers calculates the need for an irrigation cycle based upon either moisture calculation or time calculation

But now I worry about condensation blocking morning programs. Down here in FLA, its pretty muggy in the mornings...
    I doubt if humidity will affect it the degree you are concerned. mcsSprinklers is not expecting to have the sensor connected so either mcsSprinklers will try to irrigate and the valves will be disabled due to the EtherRain sensor input when it show the sponge to not be dry. This means mcsSprinklers will have assumed its control was working and reset the soil to 100% moisture or the protocol with Etherrain will not be as expected and mcsSprinklers will declare the valves failed. It may be possible to detect this situation in mcsSprinklers software, but was not considered a useful configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      The sponge sensor is connected between the 24VAC and the Rain8Net when used in a classical setup or used as the switch input to mcsSprinklers. The former will remove power from the Rain8Net so it is not a good idea for an automated system. The switch input would be configured as a discrete input inhibit. It would have the effect of delaying irrigation cycles if the sponge remains wet when mcsSprinklers calculates the need for an irrigation cycle based upon either moisture calculation or time calculation

I doubt if humidity will affect it the degree you are concerned. mcsSprinklers is not expecting to have the sensor connected so either mcsSprinklers will try to irrigate and the valves will be disabled due to the EtherRain sensor input when it show the sponge to not be dry. This means mcsSprinklers will have assumed its control was working and reset the soil to 100% moisture or the protocol with Etherrain will not be as expected and mcsSprinklers will declare the valves failed. It may be possible to detect this situation in mcsSprinklers software, but was not considered a useful configuration.
      Michael did you get my email?
      I had some ether rain questions for you if you had a moment...
      HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Working...
      X