Adjust zone times by actual rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjust zone times by actual rain?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I was just thinking it would be great to adjust my watering times based on the amount of rain received in the last x days.

Here's an example. I aim for 1 inch coverage when I irrigate each zone. I have my inhibits set to "Don't with 1 inch rain in last 2 days." Today we got 0.75 inches of rain, so my inhibit rule won't kick in, and my normal schedule would have me watering tomorrow morning for one inch. It would be great if there was some way I could set a rule such that it would only water for enough time tomorrow to make up the additional quarter inch.

I'm not sure if that's really practical, since I don't know much about UV factors, ET, etc. but to me it seems logical that since I got some rain today I might shorten my watering times tomorrow.

EDIT: I realize I can probably do something similar by watering based on soil moisture, but we are under restrictions here and can only water 2 days a week. The calculated schedules don't really fit well into that.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Your computed soil moisture will account for the rain that you have and the next irrigation cycle will be later due to it. It goes to the philosophy of your plants will do better if their roots are encouraged to go deeper to get to the moisture. Frequent shallow watering will make them lazy.

Comment

I certainly like and agree with the approach, but our local gov't seems to think they know better. Any idea how to balance the water restrictions (2 days per week) with what's best for the plants?
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Set your moisture threshold higer than you normally would without govt restrictions. For example you may want to cycle 20%, but use 40%. If weather is cool or you get rain then you will not get to 40% on one of your two watering days. If weather is warm then you will irrigate to the maximum allowed.

Comment

Great suggestion. I'll try that. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X