2 Relay8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Relay8's

I want control some pool valves in Homeseer. I am aware that the draw is about .75 amps. That pretty much makes it so I have to use a Relay 8 with some 24 volt transformers. I do have more then 8 zones though. I checked with WGL and you cannot daisy chain a relay 8. Does anyone know if I can run 2 Relay8's on different com ports (or UPB based).

mcsSprinklers PRO supports a configuration of multiple serial ports for the Rain8Net/Relay8 so this is an option.

Seems like there should be other hardware interfaces other than Relay8 that can hanlde the amperage so it could be done with a single interface. I do not have any specific suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
      mcsSprinklers PRO supports a configuration of multiple serial ports for the Rain8Net/Relay8 so this is an option.

Seems like there should be other hardware interfaces other than Relay8 that can hanlde the amperage so it could be done with a single interface. I do not have any specific suggestions.
      I would think so also, but in all my searching I have come up empty so far.

Comment

We use two of these for our pool, with relays for the pumps and valves. There is also two analog in which we use to get the temp of the pool. This has been stable so far.
        http://www.smarthome.com/31273/Smart...troller/p.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by JHughes View Post
          We use two of these for our pool, with relays for the pumps and valves. There is also two analog in which we use to get the temp of the pool. This has been stable so far.
          http://www.smarthome.com/31273/Smart...troller/p.aspx
          Are you driving it with Insteon or X10? My current setup it is all UPB and Zwave. I was wishful to avoid a new technology in my mix, but ultimately it may be the best answer and avoids me running a serial cable out there. What kind of pump are you running? If Insteon (which I have never messed with) how is the latency and which PLM are you using?

Comment

You can daisy chain Relay8Net. I use three for my irrigation.

Comment

Originally posted by jbbtex View Post
              You can daisy chain Relay8Net. I use three for my irrigation.
              You sure you dont have a Rain8net which most would use for sprinklers (.25amps Relay8net is 1amp))? I just sent this email to WGL last week and got an answer from them as follows. Can you confirm your model.

"Sorry to say but the Relay8net only works as a standalone module. No expansion, no adding on to a Rain8net. It will have to be connected to its own com port.

Warren"

Comment

2 Relay8's

This what I have. They are a couple of years old.
                EDIT: I have one Relay8Net and two Relay8Net Expansion modules. Looks like the expansion modules are no longer available. Sorry.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by jbbtex; May 6, 2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper76Man View Post
                  Are you driving it with Insteon or X10? My current setup it is all UPB and Zwave. I was wishful to avoid a new technology in my mix, but ultimately it may be the best answer and avoids me running a serial cable out there. What kind of pump are you running? If Insteon (which I have never messed with) how is the latency and which PLM are you using?
                  We use no X10, everything in the house is Insteon. The more devices the better the signal. The pool shed is a long run from the house, I have a Insteon receptical plugged into a outside plug closest to the pool shed. At one point had a separate USB PLM for the pool to do direct serial calls, the Insteon plug in has since been upgraded and handles the analog data now. Just have the one USB PLM, seems to handle all of the devices fine.
                  There is almost no delay between commands sent and the pumps reacting. We have 5 Jandy 240v pumps, 3- 24v three way valves, 2- 120v light systems, 24v control for the heater, 24v auto fill valve, 2 analog temp sensors. Everything is wired through standard Din rail components.
                  If I was building it new, I would consider a Raspberry Pi instead of the Insteon devices.

Comment

What I have done in the past is to use a UPB IO module to provide the interface that controls an independent relay(s). Same could be done with Appliance Module if you want to use a relay with 120V coil. A relay from Radio Shack or anywhere online will satisfy your need. If I remember the UPB IO module has two discrete outputs. Zwave should have a similiar unit if you are in Zwave range.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will piece something together here. I am going to build it with UPB though and 2 Relay 8's. I found this cool little power supply to drive the relays. Should be able to run lots of channels on at same time if needed.

Altronix ALTV248 Eight (8) Output CCTV Power Supply, 24/28 VAC, 4.0/3.5 Amp, Fused Outputs

Comment

Working...
                      X