Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System locking up and very odd messages being posted to HS log - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System locking up and very odd messages being posted to HS log - Solved!

The system has been locking up forcing me to restart HS every day or so. When I check the HS log there are tons of what look like database equations being posted. (attached filtered output).

When I restart hs system seems to work for a little while.

Using HS3
    Attached Files

The messages seem to indicate that the computer resources are not sufficient to run the application

Twoexamples
    1. GetCSVWeatherThread Line 0 Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

2. ExecuteScalar Select RunTime FROM tblState WHERE DC="$23" Line 0 System resource exceeded.

If you have a large database then the second example may be able to be overcome by starting with a clear database that would result in loosing your historical data.

The first one is just reading a text file. Some Davis imports use the large data form while others use the Ambient csv format that is much smaller.

mcsSprinklers does run on a ARM processor under linux with total RAM of under 0.5M without using swap space and if I recall correctly the EPROM needs are 600K inlcuding the OS. This indicates to me that either your platform is very small or you have other things that have claimed the resources.

Comment

Follow up

I started looking at Resource issues and am not finding anything obvious. I have checked the system logs and am not seeing any memory issues with anything else and started a logging program to see whats happening re sprinklers and am not seeing any abnormal "spikes". Per below I'm running win 7 with 3 GB memory and AMD 64 processor. Per windows resource monitor ssytem memory usage is not fluctuating much beyond nominal values.

Here is some info:

Number of Devices: 247
      Number of Events: 27
      Event Last Ran: HVAC : Button Press Econ, Ran at 6/24/2014 7:30:10 AM
      Number of unique event scripts used: 0

Plug-Ins Enabled: BLShutdown:,Restart:,UltraM1G3:,Insteon:,MCSSPRINKLERSP:,BLC puAdvisor:,UltraLog3:
      Processor Type and Speed: AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2 at 2.61 GHz
      Modules/Threads: 139 Modules, 71 Threads
      System Processes/Load: 87 Processes, 23% Load
      Free / Total Physical Memory: 1.08 GBytes / 2.75 GBytes (39% free)
      Free / Total Virtual Memory: 4.08 GBytes / 6.87 GBytes (59% free)
      HomeSeer Memory Used: 76 Mbytes
      Plug-In Memory Used: 7 EXE Plug-Ins using 314 Mbytes

Specific re MCSsprinklers process:
      Process Id: 9032
      Priority: Normal
      Started: 6/23/2014 10:05:36 PM
      Uptime: 11 hrs, 2 mins, 37 secs
      Physical Memory: 114,811 K
      Thread Count: 17
      Module Count: 109
      CPU Usage: 0.37%
      CPU Usage over 1200 mins: 0.61%

I have also attached a log (Also from BLCPU plug in) that logged the process performance. For some reason the size of the process fluctuated over the logging period but then started to grow overnight.

Follow up 6/24 9:38am
      restarted HS and here is process info. Memory usage is way down...

Process Id: 7212
      Priority: Normal
      Started: 6/24/2014 9:35:43 AM
      Uptime: 2 mins, 12 secs
      Physical Memory: 59,867 K
      Thread Count: 22
      Module Count: 109
      CPU Usage: 0.00%
      CPU Usage over 1200 mins: 1.69%
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jbonja; June 24, 2014, 08:22 AM. Reason: post reboot update

Comment

Still having issues

The database was 31 MB and was in the wrong location (still in hs2directory) so I renamed and restarted hs. System is still locking up.

If there is a system resource issue it's not showing up in any other process

I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin...no effect

I have also noticed that there is a local and web version number that do not line up??? I have updated to the latest via plug in mgr and it reports the latest but local is up to date but old date. Web says .4 and is current date.

How do I do a uninstall and clean reinstall. I'll re enter everything as it would be far less than what I'm doing now.

Comment

Now have mcs disabled and it's stable

Disabled mcs and installed a trial version of another product. Had to manually setup scheduling but so far no problems.

Comment

Ended up being bitdefender as the culprit

After I disabled mcs another memory problem showed up in the hs main program re getting a wan address. Did a search and found one post that referred to bitdefender causing problems.

I have had bitdefender for a while and remember seeing that error a while ago but it disappeared. Assumed it was just fixed in an update.

The issue with mcs started when I enabled the system this year from seasonal shutdown.

Anyway uninstalled bitdefender and system has been stable for 5 days or so.

Comment

Good to hear you identified the source of the issue. Such interdependencies are hard to predict.

When anti-virus software first came into play I had used Norton and found it to be too intrusive. AVG has been what I have been using form many years.

Comment

Working...
              X