WIFI232 for Rain8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIFI232 for Rain8

Has anyone had any luck getting a 232 over wifi adapter working?

I bought one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/USR-WIFI232-6.../dp/B00QWYW8E4

I when I run the config from Rain8 it shows that the module is found, but I notice it is not popping up the dialog box for setting the number on the device like it normally would. I also run the demo program and I show first 4 off and last 4 on. I am not able to control any of the valves.

Anyone else had luck with something like this?

Thanks!

(I am using the Rain8net Pro2 fyi)

I do not have experience with this specific RS-233/Wifi adapter, but in general have had success with a variety of adapters. Issues I have experienced is with units that use 0/5V rather than -12/+12 and the COM emulation software that is very OS dependent.

mcsSprinklers is able to communicate directly via IP and avoid the COM emulation/OS dependency. Without documentation of the unit it may be difficult to find out the specific IP Port that is used and how to configure the baud rates etc.

Comment

Yeah I was able to get in and set the baud and turn off the autosensing. One thing that isn't clear in the plugin is if it is using TCP or UDP for the connection. I tried with virtual COM and the IP interface and just didn't have much luck. I noticed with Hardware Flow Control on i was able to get better results, but it still isn't great.

If you have some devices that you have used and know that they will work I would love to see a list!

Comment

Welp, as an update, I actually got that unit to work. I am honestly not sure how or why it started, but it is working.

I did pull it out of the case and solder the power jumper so that it would pass it to the rs232, and I also bumped up the power supply to 12 volts.

I manually set the Baud to 4800 8,N,1, and disabled the flow control, and the RFC2117. You have to have it set to TCP for mcsSprinkler, and that seemed to work. I will say the Rain8 config and demo program will not work with any of the virtual com ports (they will say a module is found, but then die after that).

Comment

Just as a follow up to this for anyone that uses a unit like this. I am not sure what causes the faults to generate, but if you make any changes to the wifi adapter you need to power cycle the wifi adapted and the rain8net unit. Even if you reboot the wifi adapter you continually the timeout error.

Comment

Working...
          X