Need 24vAC relay device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need 24vAC relay device

I've been trying to get my RLY8xa to function properly to switch my hvac dampers on/off, but it is too sensative to emi created by the 24vac transformers, and rather than continue trying to fix that with TONS of troubleshooting and various things, I'm thinking I may have better luck with a different device

I know the upbRain8 supports 8 24vac zones, and there is a plug in avail for HS, but it is made for sprinklers (not that it should matter, though, right?). what about Relay8Net and Rain8net?
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    I've been trying to get my RLY8xa to function properly to switch my hvac dampers on/off, but it is too sensative to emi created by the 24vac transformers, and rather than continue trying to fix that with TONS of troubleshooting and various things, I'm thinking I may have better luck with a different device

I know the upbRain8 supports 8 24vac zones, and there is a plug in avail for HS, but it is made for sprinklers (not that it should matter, though, right?). what about Relay8Net and Rain8net?
    All the Rain8 devices support 24vac switching, but my gut feeling is that the RLY8xa will provide the best results. Have you tried the ADicon's forum? They usually have some pretty sharp electronic guys there.

http://www.appdigusers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
    -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
    VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
    Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Yeah, i spent 8 months on & off talking with Guy L over there. Very helpful, but nothing seems to work...i had the RLY8xa working well switching one, maybe two relays, but when I put 3 or more on it, none of the snubs/isolators or anything seem to help it.

at this point, i want to abandon the RLY8xa and go with something more reliable...either a upb 110v switch (which I would use to cut power to the transformer, and wire the 24vac direct to the transformer) or something else, like the rain8 series.

there is much discussion about the lack of reliability of the RLY8xa, and i have heard virtually nothing negative about Rain8 series.

so...if i were to purchase a rain8 device...which one would be best suited for a non-sprinkler 24vac application?
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

The Rain8 devices are not relays, I believe they use a SCR's or similar silicon to switch with, which seems to me would be more sensitive to EMI or other interference. Although I am no expert on the subject. Maybe someone else would care to comment. And you may need to post in a different thread to get more response, like electronics or something.

By the way, I only wrote a plugin to support the Rain8, I do not have any expertise in there capabilities or construction.
        -Larry

Plugins:
        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

I have both the rain8 and the rain8relay. I actually had the rain8 take a ligthing strike so I hot wired my rain8realy to use the relays to turn on/off my sprinkler system. There are 8 relays in the device and they are separate from the system unlike the triacs in the rain8.
          Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
            I have both the rain8 and the rain8relay. I actually had the rain8 take a ligthing strike so I hot wired my rain8realy to use the relays to turn on/off my sprinkler system. There are 8 relays in the device and they are separate from the system unlike the triacs in the rain8.
            Stuart
            Oh OK, I do not have any experience with Rain8Relay devices, but sounds interesting.
            -Larry

Plugins:

Hardware:

Comment

Stuart,
              do you know what the difference is between the rain8net or the rain8relay? which one would i want for switching 24vac hvac dampers?
              Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                Stuart,
                do you know what the difference is between the rain8net or the rain8relay? which one would i want for switching 24vac hvac dampers?
                The rain8net provides switched 24 VAC on each of it's zoned outputs. You would have to verify that this supplied voltage could handle the current required for your dampers as it was originally designed to switch solenoid valves on sprinkler system.

With the relay version (there are two, serial controlled and X-10 controlled) you would have to supply the voltage device (via wall wart probably) and switch that via relays, just like you had to do with the ADI RLY8XA box.

I'm wondering though if this would work in your situation. The RLY8XA unit has quality Potter Brumfield relays in it (i.e. not cheap) and I'm surprised they don't work for you.

FYI, I did a review of the orignal Relay-8 (X-10 controlled) from WGL on CocoonTech.
                --------------------------------------------------
                **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

BSR,
                  There were two main ways I tried connecting the damper transformers to the RLY8xa. First, just to make sure we're all on the same page, i'll describe the setup.

the damper transformers receive power by standard 110 wall outlet/wiring, then have an "output" of 24 volts ac. I tried switching the 24vac w/ the relay8xa, but it kept "dying"...it would go nonresponsive after a short period of use...i was told it was due to the emi build up. i tried all sorts of snub capacitor/resistor combos recommended by Guy at ADI, but non worked. so then i tried switching the 110 source to the transformers...with the same response. i think the reasons this is so difficult is because of the following information i got from the manufacturer of the dampers:

Dampers use a hysteresis synchronous gear motor.
                  The hysteresis part being that the motor can be indefinitely powered "on" when the damper is stopped in the open, or closed position, without damage.

anyway, it may be that the only 100% reliable method would be to use a upb appliance module to swith the 110 source to the damper...unless i'm missing something.

is it your opinion that if the ryl8xa can't handle it, the rain8 wouldn't either?
                  Plugins:

Comment

Not to be a wet rag here or anything, but this is not the correct thread for this disscussion. I would suggest it be taken over to "General Hardware"

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=711

This forum is for support of the Raon8Net Plugin!

Thx.
                    -Larry

Plugins:

Hardware:

Comment

Woops, sorry, Larry! I had actually posted the issue in the electronics section, after you mentioned this yesterday...I thought this conversation was happening there!

Here it is:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123762
                      Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                      X