Filtering to get only the RainMachine Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtering to get only the RainMachine Devices

The only way I can get only the RainMachine Devices to show on the Device List is to select Check All on the Group and Room/Device drop down menus and then select the RainMachine Types. By creating a Group "Sprinklers" I can do it by selecting Sprinklers on the Group drop down and "All" on the the others. If you were to create a Group called "Sprinklers" or some other name like "RainMachine" when creating the devices in the Plug-in it would make it easier for the user.

When installing a new version, I always have to delete all the devices, disable and then re-enable the plug-in instances to create all the devices properly otherwise there are problems. Then I struggle to get them to show. For some reason selecting the group "Unknown" in the Group list doesn't work but by giving them all a group name as above does the job.

Originally posted by noopara View Post
    The only way I can get only the RainMachine Devices to show on the Device List is to select Check All on the Group and Room/Device drop down menus and then select the RainMachine Types. By creating a Group "Sprinklers" I can do it by selecting Sprinklers on the Group drop down and "All" on the the others. If you were to create a Group called "Sprinklers" or some other name like "RainMachine" when creating the devices in the Plug-in it would make it easier for the user.
    I think I figured out what you mean here. Those columns are labeled "Floor" and "Room" in my configuration. My understanding is that those are user defined categorizations for the device and not something the plug-in should define. You like "Sprinklers" someone else may like "irrigation" while someone else may like "outside" or "front" or .... As you noted, you can display just the RainMachine devices using the device types. Once you do that, it is trivial for you to assign whatever works best for you to the group, floor, room, etc.

When installing a new version, I always have to delete all the devices, disable and then re-enable the plug-in instances to create all the devices properly otherwise there are problems. Then I struggle to get them to show. For some reason selecting the group "Unknown" in the Group list doesn't work but by giving them all a group name as above does the job.
    I'd like to understand better what kind of problems you see when you don't delete everything and start over. Having to delete and re-create the device records should only be needed in rare cases where something significant changes in the device configuration. I rarely delete the devices and haven't noticed any issues. If I believe the devices will need to be re-created, I try to note that when releasing a new version.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Don't know if this input helps or not but in mcsSprinklers I use Device Type with is a sort/filter field on HS Device Management. A similar thing could be done automatically if HS provided Interface property on Device Management.

Comment

I think I figured out what you mean here. Those columns are labeled "Floor" and "Room" in my configuration. My understanding is that those are user defined categorizations for the device and not something the plug-in should define. You like "Sprinklers" someone else may like "irrigation" while someone else may like "outside" or "front" or .... As you noted, you can display just the RainMachine devices using the device types. Once you do that, it is trivial for you to assign whatever works best for you to the group, floor, room, etc.
        I forgot that I had customized the columns "Location 1" and "Location 2" and labeled them "Room/Device" and "Group". That was a looong time ago. Anyway, most of the other plug-ins I have installed all assigned some identifier in one or both of those locations which made it easier to find the devices among the 800 or so that I have now. What I usually do is rename them to fit my configuration. All that I am suggesting is to name them automatically when you create the devices as a convenience so that a user can locate them quickly and then rename them if desired. I don't recall ever having to only rely on sorting devices by type to locate them, but who knows, I probably did. Growing old has the advantage of forgetting what you did in the past and then experiencing it again as something new and exciting...getting the satisfaction of solving a problem you solved before again...over and over. It probably drives you plug-in programmers crazy...so sorry.

I'd like to understand better what kind of problems you see when you don't delete everything and start over. Having to delete and re-create the device records should only be needed in rare cases where something significant changes in the device configuration. I rarely delete the devices and haven't noticed any issues. If I believe the devices will need to be re-created, I try to note that when releasing a new version.
        Well my procedure is probably because of the repeated issues regarding the 2nd instance problems where I was seeing zones in the RM 1st instance turning on in response to my action of trying to turn on a zone in the 2nd instance. This and the fact that the list of devices was jumbled and that when I disabled the instances and then deleted the devices and enabled the instances the device list seemed to be properly organized. I did this so many times that now, using Jon00's device list, I see that my list of devices goes from 1 to 803 in sequence and then it jumps to 1149 for the first RainMachine device and ends at 1197. So, apparently I deleted them and started over 7 times. But, now I am glad to report that all is well in Gig Harbor with the RainMachine Plug-in 1.0.0.5. It's working just fine now. I can now revive my deer defense system to scare the deer away from eating our landscaping...my wife is happy again...yeah!

Comment

Working...
        X