This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dim/Bright Device numbers inconsistent

I have a bunch of StyleSwitch SS13A wireless x10 controllers that I'm starting to use to control my whole house audio. I've programmed each one for each room to turn that zone on/off, source select and using the dim/bright for volume. HS gets the x10 codes through the plug in and then events fire controlling the receiver. It works great ith one small problem....

I have two keypads. Keypad 1 is set for x10 codes A1-A3. Keypad two is set for A4-A6.

When I turn on zone 1 with keypad 1, it works great. goes on and I can control the volume. If zone 2 was already on and I just go to control the volume it actually controls zone 1. What is happening is that it is sending out a DimA1 command instead of a DimA4-6 command. When the Dim/bright is sent is it using the house code for the device sending the command, but the device number of what ever was the last X10 on/off command. so, if I use another palm pad and say hit E9 On then go to the other keypad and press dim/bright it sends an A9Dim.

Does this makes sense? Is this just the way that X10 works or is it something in the way the plugin works? Someone is holding on to the last device number used, it must be the plugin, no?

Thanks.

Originally posted by chadg View Post
    I have a bunch of StyleSwitch SS13A wireless x10 controllers that I'm starting to use to control my whole house audio. I've programmed each one for each room to turn that zone on/off, source select and using the dim/bright for volume. HS gets the x10 codes through the plug in and then events fire controlling the receiver. It works great ith one small problem....

I have two keypads. Keypad 1 is set for x10 codes A1-A3. Keypad two is set for A4-A6.

When I turn on zone 1 with keypad 1, it works great. goes on and I can control the volume. If zone 2 was already on and I just go to control the volume it actually controls zone 1. What is happening is that it is sending out a DimA1 command instead of a DimA4-6 command. When the Dim/bright is sent is it using the house code for the device sending the command, but the device number of what ever was the last X10 on/off command. so, if I use another palm pad and say hit E9 On then go to the other keypad and press dim/bright it sends an A9Dim.

Does this makes sense? Is this just the way that X10 works or is it something in the way the plugin works? Someone is holding on to the last device number used, it must be the plugin, no?

Thanks.
    X10 dim commands are actually sent as two commands - the device code (A1 or A4 in your case) and then a dim command. The dim is just that - a dim command. Whichever device code was last sent before the dim command is the device that will respond to the dim command.
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

My first X10 controller had a wheel for setting the House Code letter, some number buttons for selecting the address, and more buttons for On, Off, Dim, Bright, All Lights On, and All Off. Sending an X10 signal to a single address involved at least two button presses unless you wanted to send the command to the last address previously sent. (For example, turning on a light to less than full brightness involved sending the On command - requiring two key presses - then repeatedly tapping the dim button - and then the bright button when you overshot - to get to the light level desired.) The dim/bright keys on current controllers are a legacy of that architecture.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
      X