This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THWR800 sending range

I bought one of these - threw it in the pool and for a couple of weeks, got constant updates. Lately, I was getting communication errors - seemed that the ability to send was falling short. I thought perhaps it was the distance, then the batteries. I placed the unit in the shallow end of the pool closest to the house, and refreshed with 2 new durocells... same issue.

Has anyone else experience this? I know the unit transmits because when I brought it in the house, it updated just fine. I'm not sure what I can do - seems a waste at $65 Canadian and the thing can hardly send updates...

Is there anything else anyone onec can recommend. I have the RFXCOM USB recieved. Can one change the antenna?

Rob
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Did you try changing channels. It could be interference.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Did you try changing channels. It could be interference.
      No... would that make a difference? There's only one other device on the same channel so collisions should be low.
      I don't know what the transmitting frequencies are for each channel - though, I'll give it a try.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Had the same issue here. I guess that pool is acting as a kind faraday trap and depends on where the sensor is placed in the pool you see transmissions or not.

In my case the solution was to have a second receiver (rfxcom lan version) that I placed in a closest place to the pool in first floor. Additional benefit I got was better coverage of home with two receivers one in the ground floor and one in first floor

Comment

Thanks juande,

I changed the channel and that didn't make any difference either. Strangely enough, it worked for a couple of weeks fine just after I bought it. Mind you my water level was a bit higher as well...
          I also have a chain link fence around the pool as per by-law...
          I wonder if there's a way to extend the range of the antenna by extending the cable so it's closer to the outside wall nearest to the pool.

Is there any caveat with running two receivers? Perhaps I could do exactly what you did.. though had I known this was going to be an issue, I would have settled just for the LAN version instead of both USB and LAN...

Rob
          Last edited by langenet; June 21, 2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Rob,
            You didn't mention whether your pool was poured reinforced concrete or fiberglass. The water level WOULD make a considerable difference in the range if the pool was reinforced concrete. The rebar would make a great RF shield and likely would reduce the range by acting like a grounded reflector. I bit that bullet several years ago and installed two W800 RF receivers. After experimenting with receiver antenna location, I was able to settle on a configuration that gives me full coverage for my entire property with the lowly X10 PalmPads.

You might try putting the THWR800 at different locations in your pool and retesting its ability to update. You may find a "sweet spot" where it works fine. If you find one, it is telling you that the RF path has some obstructions. You may be surprised to discover that simple doors and lawn furniture can impede the signal.

There is yet another potential problem with interference. At 433MHz, that potential is there in Canada - particularly with common dispatch vehicles like taxis, some trucks, etc. While the THWR800's channel assignments actually change the time between transmissions to avoid collisions with other devices, I don't believe it actually changes the frequency as it implies. See the Operating Manual at: http://us.oregonscientific.com/ulima...2/THWR800A.pdf

A second RF receiver remoted via either LAN or wi-fi may ultimately solve this problem. Good Luck!

Bob

Comment

Thanks BobT,

While the pool has a vinyl liner, I don't know what is behind it - the pool is an in ground BTW.... Though, I did move the sensor closer in the shallow end which meant the sensor was right next to the wall of the pool.As you had mentioned finding that "sweet spot", I returned the sensor back to where it was originally (3/4 to the deep end by the latter) and sure enough with the new duracell's in it, it has been transmitting ever since.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions..

Comment

Rob,
                I am glad you were able to locate that RF "sweet spot" in the pool. The nature of the omnidirectional antenna on the sensor and the fact that the water functions as a ground plane tells me that you will have this problem surface once again when the winds move the sensor. RF propogation is a tricky business at best. Being a retired RF & electronics engineer does have its advantages occasionally. I would recommend that you install a second RF receiver much closer to the water sensor if possible. This could be linked to HS2 via a wi-fi link on your computer. The ACRF2 software plug-in for HS2 can digitally multiplex up to four independent receivers. The RFXCom software plug-in can multiplex up to eight remote receivers and up to four remote transmitters.

Good Luck!

Bob

Comment

Thanks again..

Do you know if I added an LAN based RFXCOM receiver to the ACRF-2 plugin that the receiver can be configured with a virtual com port as it seems the plugin will only accept that rather than an IP address.

Rob

Comment

I do not have any RFXCom receivers, so I cannot speak from experience. But, I presume that is the way that RFXCom receivers communicate with HS2. Others may wish to correct that assumption.

Comment

In my configuration, I have the ACRF-2 plugin manage both the W800 and RFXCOM usb receiver. What I don't know is if I use a RFXCOM LAN receiver, is it accessable via a virtual com port or IP only...

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        In my configuration, I have the ACRF-2 plugin manage both the W800 and RFXCOM usb receiver. What I don't know is if I use a RFXCOM LAN receiver, is it accessable via a virtual com port or IP only...

In my case I'm using RFXCom plugin. It has native capabilities to connect to the IP address of the LAN RFXCom directly without any virtual com port

Comment

Working...
                        X