This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon scientific temp sensors

I am trying to connect a Oregon scientific temp sensor THN132N to homeseer using a WGL W800USB RF receiver and the ACRF plugin. I can go into the add devices page and select my THN132N from the drop down menu. I presume the device ID is the 1,2 or 3 selected from the switch inside the device? After I add the device I get communication failure come up on the status page. Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong? I have tried the auto fill button on the add device page but nothing is registered. I tried removing batteries ans starting again but still same issue. The sensor is located next to the receiver also. From what I can find this device is supported by the w800 or is this my issue??

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has.

To receive the Oregon sensors, you'll need a RFX 433Mhz receiver, which is also supported by ACRF2. The W800 is not capable, as it's 310Mhz and receives only 32 bits of data whereas the RFXCOM receiver supports 48 bits. In addition to the Oregon sensors, it can be used with a wider variety of RF devices.
    The 1,2,3 switch selects an operating band and has nothing to do with the device ID.

Whe W800 is fine for receiving X10 RF devices such as the DS-10 (Door/Window Security sensor), the MSxx (Motion Sensors) and PalmPads.

OH! And by the way. Welcome to the community fellow Canuck.
    Last edited by Wadenut; November 8, 2011, 05:21 AM. Reason: added details.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will look into switching to the RFXCOM.

Comment

All part of the learning curve.
        You should know as well, the W800 is better suited to the North American X10 RF devices than the RFXCOM 310MHz receiver. You can use both simultaneously with ACRF.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
          All part of the learning curve.
          You should know as well, the W800 is better suited to the North American X10 RF devices than the RFXCOM 310MHz receiver. You can use both simultaneously with ACRF.
          i never hear that before.. i though of getting rid of my w800 and getting an rfx 310 slave for my 433 master...

but to OP.. yes i have the RFXCOM plugin, RFXCOM 433mhz receiver and 10 THC-138's.. in attic (of extreme temps of 135F reported) and all the way down in my garage freezer to a bone chilling -18F...

they work great...

have one in my fish tank and in some rooms..

in addition if you can find it.. you can even integrate a bathroom scale!!!!
          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Jeff,
            Before you do that, you should know that the RFXCOM 310Mhz receiver has a narrow band pass filter on it's input. Most North American X10 RF products use LC type tuning and don't usually transmit right on frequency. The European versions use Crystal tuning and are more apt to be On frequency. You can tune them up by manipulating the coil but to get accurate results you'd need a spectrum analyser.
            The result is that, as you'll find (I did), for instance, a DS10 may not seem to be all that reliable, if it works for you at all with the RFX Rx.

I think I read somewhere on here recently that the 310Mhz RFXCOM receiver module isn't currently available. There was talk once of removing the notch filter; perhaps that's what's up.

See here:
            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ghlight=filter
            http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...35&postcount=6

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              Jeff,
              The result is that, as you'll find (I did), for instance, a DS10 may not seem to be all that reliable, if it works for you at all with the RFX Rx.
              I don't know how your system works, but...

I have lots of DS10s around the house and I have no problems with them or my 310 MHz slave receiver from RFXCOM.
              HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
              Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
              on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
              WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
                I have lots of DS10s around the house and I have no problems with them or my 310 MHz slave receiver from RFXCOM.
                I have a 310 MHz RFXCOM too, and as you note it picks up my DS10s, but I get significantly more range (2-3X on some DS10s) with my WGL 800 RF receiver.

I don't think the problem is black and white. The more an individual transmitter is off nominal frequency, the more the signal is attenuated to the RFXCOM. So, some of the problem may be related to the luck of the draw on where in the distribution a particular DS10 transmitter falls, and some of it will depend on the distance from the DS10 to the antenna.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                X