This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Communication Failure with oregon sensors

Ok, so I've got 6 Oregon sensors talking to the RFXCOM receiver hosted by the ACRF2 plugin (Yes... still on HS2 )
    Once in a while I get a comm failure and it will pass after a while. Now I've got about 4-5 comm failures. I take it that it is caused by collisions. Nevertheless, I've got one to two still reporting. However, all the others have been reporting failures for over a week. Does any one have any suggestion on re-establishing communication? It's getting annoying and up to now, I've never seen this.
    Could it be my RFXCOM receiver? I've got the old one which I know doesn't work with Blades plugin for HS3 so will need to buy a new one then... still...

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

It probably has more to do with where the devices are located(far away sensors getting inferfered with closer ones(with stronger signals) and how many "channels" your devices have.

What kind of OS sensors are you using? 1 channel, 3 channel or 10 channel? The THGR 810 has 10 channels--I've used 5 devices for years and NEVER see collisions. I used to use the 3 channel devices and would see collisions every few days with 5 devices.

The "collision" problem occurs when 2 or more devices that are running at the same frequency(the channel number determines frequency) or very near the same frequency and get in sync so that every reporting cycle(1-2 minutes) occurs at the same instant in time and repeatedly over a long period so that they interfere with each other such that the receiver keeps missing the signal and finally reports a "comm failure".

So with a one channel device you can only run one device, with a 3 channel-only 3 devices, and with a 10 channel-only 10 devices to get reliable operation.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob... The devices in question have been at the same location for about 5 years and while they are the 3 channel variety, for the most part, they've been fine. One difference in the mix however was the addition of a WIFI extender. I'll unplug it to see if that makes a difference. Though, I think the frequency of that would be way higher than the RFXCOM range. There are only 2 devices max per channel...

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Using sensors of the type with the same channel selected will result in a sensor loss for several hours. If sensors are lost for a longer time it is expected that there is another problem.
        If you changed the USB connection it could that the powering device introduces a small RF noise to the receiver. Sensors on a greater distance will be more influenced.
        It could also be an external RF noise signal. In most cases I have seen this is an X10 MS13 sensor with almost empty battery or a weather sensor with empty battery or the sensor was filled with water.

The old RFXCOM USB and RFXLAN receivers and the W800 are supported by the HS2 and HS3 RFXCOM plug-ins. But another plug-in will not solve the problem in this case.

Comment

Interesting about the MS13. I've got one that I haven't changed the battery in a long time. I think I'll try that too. I've got a couple more back... but perhaps this would help.

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
          X