This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timeout errors

I went by Home Depot today and purchased the 3M-50 thermostat. The wiring installation to my HVAC system was very easy, but the wireless network configuration was a bit of a pain. I could connect to the thermostat, scan for wireless networks, and enter all of my network settings. When I pressed Submit to connect to my wireless network, the yellow led went out as expected. I was expecting to see the green led, but the thermostat began beeping. There were all zeros scrolling in the upper left of the display. After several attempts at the wireless provisioning I had nothing but nothing but zeros and beeping. I became frustrated and went to get something to eat. When I came back, the thermostat was connected to my wireless network. Go figure.

I have the plugin installed and have started testing. So far, I've been mostly successful using the plugin. The plugin will change the temperature setting of the thermostat. I have seen a couple errors. The first error was when restarting HomeSeer. It looks like the clock sync failed. I have restarted HomeSeer several times and have been unable to reproduce this error. However, the thermostat clock is not synced with my computer. This setting is enabled on the config page.

3/2/2012 8:09:19 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat: Caught exception processing response: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd() at HSPI_BEAKERSTAT.RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat(String uri, String command)
    3/2/2012 8:09:19 PM BeakerStat ERROR Could not set thermostat 192.168.1.201 clock

This error was returned when setting a setpoint. I'm also unable to reproduce this error.

3/2/2012 8:28:03 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat: Caught exception processing response: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd() at HSPI_BEAKERSTAT.RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat(String uri, String command)
    3/2/2012 8:28:03 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.CmdSetHeat returning failure. result=

I'll continue testing on Saturday.

(moved post to a new thread)

Normally you shouldn't get timeouts like that. Let me know how often they're occurring. How frequently are you polling the thermostats? Do you have any other software that's communicating with them such as Thermostat for Windows, or one of the mobile apps from Radio Thermostat? If some other piece of software (even the cloud service) is trying to communicate with the thermostat at the same time it could cause timeouts.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I haven't seen any additional timeouts since yesterday. The polling is set at 300 seconds as recommended in the help file. I don't have Thermostat for Windows or any mobile apps. This occurred soon after I initially configured the wireless on the thermostat, so the cloud service could have been communicating with the thermostat. I noticed that the firmware was automatically upgraded from 1.04.64 to 1.04.77. I'll keep an eye on the log file for any other timeout issues.

Comment

It very well could have been during the firmware upgrade that you saw the problems. That would be expected.
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by regm View Post
          However, the thermostat clock is not synced with my computer. This setting is enabled on the config page.
          I tested this again and the thermostat clock is successfully being synced with the computer clock.

Comment

Good to hear regm.

Comment

I have one other question related to the wireless provisioning and connection. One thing I would like to test is the ability of the thermostat to rejoin my wireless network after a power outage. I'm a little bit nervous about doing this because of the challenges I had initially provisioning the thermostat. I would like to turn off the wireless broadcast on my router to simulate an extended power outage that lasts beyond the battery life of my UPS. Have you had any issues with the thermostat reconnecting to the network after losing connection? Will I need to reset the thermostat, or should it reconnect to the network automatically?

Comment

Well, I took the plunge and tested a loss of the wireless connection. When the thermostat can't connect to the network it goes back into provisioning mode. The yellow led blinks and a new provisioning code is displayed. When the wireless signal returns, the thermostat automatically reconnects and the green led blinks. Before I performed this test there were no led lights on, but "LINK" was displayed on the touchpad. After the thermostat reconnected, the green led is continuously blinking and "LINK" is dispalyed. I believe this is correct behavior. I feel more confident about the wireless connection after performing this test.

Comment

I experienced the timeout error again. I'll send the verbose log file to the beakerstat email.

3/4/2012 10:08:24 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Setpoint Heat setpoint to 64

3/4/2012 10:08:27 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat: Caught exception processing response: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd() at HSPI_BEAKERSTAT.RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat(String uri, String command)
                  3/4/2012 10:08:27 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.CmdSetHeat returning failure. result=

Comment

I'm still seeing an occasional timeout error, so I came up with a workaround that has been successful in my testing. I have events that send a device command to change the thermostat setpoint. This command will sometimes fail and the plugin will return a timeout error. I added a second device command to the event with a one minute delay. So far in my testing, the second device command does not timeout. It acts like the first command wakes up the thermostat so the second command can successfully change the setpoint.

Here's an example:

3/8/2012 12:30:00 PM Device Control Device: Thermostat Current Setpoint (\5) Value set to 6300
                    3/8/2012 12:30:00 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint Heat setpoint to 63
                    3/8/2012 12:30:03 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat: Caught exception processing response: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd() at HSPI_BEAKERSTAT.RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat(String uri, String command)
                    3/8/2012 12:30:03 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.CmdSetHeat returning failure. result=
                    3/8/2012 12:30:03 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint hold mode to on (alwaysSetHold)
                    3/8/2012 12:30:12 PM BeakerStat User or system initiated poll of thermostat Home
                    3/8/2012 12:30:12 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4820 Thermostat=Home
                    3/8/2012 12:30:16 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home

3/8/2012 12:31:00 PM Event Event Trigger "Current Setpoint (delayed action)"

3/8/2012 12:31:00 PM Device Control Device: Thermostat Current Setpoint (\5) Value set to 6300
                    3/8/2012 12:31:00 PM Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Current Setpoint (delayed action)"
                    3/8/2012 12:31:00 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint Heat setpoint to 63
                    3/8/2012 12:31:03 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint hold mode to on (alwaysSetHold)
                    3/8/2012 12:31:03 PM BeakerStat User or system initiated poll of thermostat Home
                    3/8/2012 12:31:03 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4820 Thermostat=Home
                    3/8/2012 12:31:09 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home

Comment

In my previous testing, the first device command to change the setpoint would sometimes fail with a timeout error, but the second attempt would succeed. Today, I had the opposite result. The first device command succeeded, but the second attempt failed. Oh well, at least one of the attempts succeeds in changing the setpoint. It's still a reasonable workaround for now.

3/8/2012 10:07:58 PM Device Control Device: Thermostat Current Setpoint (\5) Value set to 6400
                      3/8/2012 10:07:58 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint Heat setpoint to 64
                      3/8/2012 10:08:03 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint hold mode to on (alwaysSetHold)
                      3/8/2012 10:08:03 PM BeakerStat User or system initiated poll of thermostat Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:04 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4820 Thermostat=Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:12 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:13 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4889 Thermostat=Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:34 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:35 PM BeakerStat User or system initiated poll of thermostat Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:35 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4820 Thermostat=Home
                      3/8/2012 10:08:38 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home

3/8/2012 10:08:58 PM Event Event Trigger "Current Setpoint (delayed action)"

3/8/2012 10:08:58 PM Device Control Device: Thermostat Current Setpoint (\5) Value set to 6400
                      3/8/2012 10:08:58 PM Event Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Current Setpoint (delayed action)"
                      3/8/2012 10:08:58 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint Heat setpoint to 64
                      3/8/2012 10:09:01 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat: Caught exception processing response: System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out. at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size) at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer() at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadToEnd() at HSPI_BEAKERSTAT.RadioThermostatWiFi.PostThermostat(String uri, String command)
                      3/8/2012 10:09:01 PM BeakerStat ERROR RadioThermostatWiFi.CmdSetHeat returning failure. result=
                      3/8/2012 10:09:01 PM BeakerStat Setting thermostat Current Setpoint hold mode to on (alwaysSetHold)
                      3/8/2012 10:09:05 PM BeakerStat User or system initiated poll of thermostat Home
                      3/8/2012 10:09:05 PM BeakerStat HSPI.PollDeviceManual: devref=4820 Thermostat=Home
                      3/8/2012 10:09:12 PM BeakerStat Successfully polled thermostat Home

Comment

I've seen these timeouts on one of my own thermostats. Doing some manual testing outside of HomeSeer the thermostat sometimes would not respond for 30 seconds or longer, but it would eventually respond. This was with HomeSeer and the cloud service shut down, so I'm not sure what's going on inside it that causes this, but I see it pretty regularly on that one thermostat. Interestingly, it's also the newest hardware revision of the three I have (v1.94). I'm hoping a thermostat firmware update will resolve this.

In the meantime I'm looking at some options to lengthen the timeout period. I think I need to move all the set operations to a new thread though so HomeSeer doesn't bog down waiting for a slow thermostat to respond. Polling is already done on its own thread, and polls will retry one time after a 10 second timeout.

Comment

Working...
                        X