This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the BC4???

The BitWise Controls BC4 is an IP-enabled device which allows interaction with various hardware systems via an installed BCX Module. The first available BCX module is the BCX-1. It has the following connection types:

IR - For control of infrared devices like TVs, DVD players, etc. We have a huge built-in IR library with codes for thousands of devices. Once you have installed the BC4 plug-in, you can add an IR device to your project, complete with all IR keys, in about 10 seconds. And if you can't find your device in our library, there's a built in IR learner. The BCX-1 has 4 routable IR ports, and 1 IR "blaster" output, which doubles as the IR learner.

GPIO - The BCX-1 has two GPIO ports which can be configured as Digital inputs, digital outputs, or even analog inputs. That means that you can sense contact closures, and even line level audio (straight into the GPIO connector, no sensor required) for use in event triggers and conditions.

Relays - There are two SPDT relays on board.

RS232 - The BCX-1 has a configurable three-wire serial port, which can be used with the BC4 Plug-In's scripting interface to allow two-way communications with remotely located equipment.

Temperature - The BC4 has a built-in temperature sensor which monitors the BC4's internal temperature. This is handy for keeping an eye on rack temps, etc.

So there are a lot of cool and useful things you can do with a BC4. I'll be posting some application examples in this forum which show some of the functionality. The BC4 hardware and plugin are both available in the HomeSeer store.

Using BC4 to receive IR remote signals

Does the BC4 have the capability to receive IR signals from my remote and transmit them to HomeSeer (via Ethernet) for initiating automation events? If so, how is this done? Is this supported by your plug-in?

Thanks,

Comment

As soon as we release our RS232 IR receiver, the BC4 will support that functionality. And as it stands, the plug-in could currently support it using the scripting interface. We may create a separate plug-in for it, but only because it can operate standalone as well. I would want to make sure the BC4 plug-in supports it as well, for no additional cost. That way, if you only need IR input, you just buy the IR receiver and its plugin. If you need both, you buy the BC4, the IR receiver, and the BC4 plugin will support both.
      The IR receiver should be released in the very near future. We're in the final testing stages of the design now.
      Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

What would be the cost to buy the BC4 and the IR receiver (when it come out). Are they different unit that you must buy both or the can be combine together. I looking for Both Options to control tv and receive IR from the remote. Should I wait to buy until the Receiver come out.

Thank You

Gregory Mack.

PS. I was looking into sending IR signal through Cable Line. Does Cable Company send their own signal through the same line which may prevent the IR signal to be recognize

Comment

The IR receiver is a separate unit. The current estimate is that it will be released within the next month or so. When it is released, the BC4 plug-in will be updated to take advantage of it. The BC4 plug-in will work with both the BC4 and the IR receiver. So there's no danger in getting started with the BC4 now and adding the IR receiver when it becomes available.
          Regarding the cable/IR distribution, I'm not a Xantech representative, so I can't offer detailed support on their products. I do know that I've used their IR injector system in the past with no detrimental effect on the cable signal. If you have specific concerns, you may want to contact Xantech support.

Comment

Does the unit available from the HomeSeer store include a DC power adapter?

Comment

Trebor,
              Power Supply included.

Comment

I am trying to understand how the "ir Blaster" works. Would I need to have it facing my equipment? Can the BC4 and my av equipment be facing the same way?
                James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

jasv,
                  It really depends on the installation. In some situations, such as inside a cabinet, the Blaster output could be used to bounce IR around the inside of the cabinet and might not require the BC4 to be directly facing the equipment. In my office, I can bounce IR off the walls and control equipment that way. It's not going to be as reliable as using the IR emitter ports, but it does provide some additional flexibility, and may be fine for many applications. It really depends on the room, cabinet, equipment, etc.

Comment

Dumb question

Hi,

Comment

Or you can use devices like the Powermids to wirelessly transfer your IR commands.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Another option would be to utilize a "Wireless Gaming Adapter" (as they are often marketed), which allows a hard-wired device to function on a wireless network. These are pretty inexpensive these days, and are generally easy to set up.

Comment

Working...
                        X