Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could you please test this and report if you have a BT key ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you please test this and report if you have a BT key ?

Zip File attached.

It's a bluetooth proximity scanner I built. I intend to make this a HomeSeer and/or xap plugin.

I need to know:

- If your BT devices are detected OK.
    - If it works with the Microsoft BT stack as well as with the Widcomm stack
    - If the scanner doesn't prevent normal BT operation of your device.
    - If you have the Widcomm stack, if the signal strengh (RSSI) seems consistent.
    - If there is any annoyance at the device (screen turning on every 30 secs... beeps... etc)

Thanks,

stipus
    Last edited by stipus; December 4, 2009, 06:43 PM.
    --
    stipus

Yes, Headset, Mouse, and PPC

Widcomm is the only one I tested so far.

It seems fine, normal operations all worked.

RSSI only shows at (0) for me on all devices, however they are working and were all detected.

- If there is any annoyance at the device (screen turning on every 30 secs... beeps... etc)
    Nothing that I noticed.
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

If your BT devices are detected OK.
      Yes, Mobile Phone

Microsoft BT is the only one I tested so far. (works)

It seems fine, normal operations all worked.

N/A

Nothing that I noticed.

TrOjAn

Comment

That's good news !

It seems to work on both BT stacks, and discover all devices without error or secondary effect. A little more feedback would be good before going to the next step.

Now my problem is really simple:

How many are ready to pay $20 for a BT proximity plugin for HomeSeer 2 ? I really fear that I can loose a lot of money in this because the Bluetooth lib is not cheap !

Considering there was a 5 page thread asking for a Gamepad / Joystick plugin; I built one with a lot of features, full web configuration interface and so far there has been very few downloads and I never received any feedback.

Considering there was also a 5 page thread asking for an instant messenger plugin, I built one, and so far there have been very few downloads.

I can spend some time coding many plugins for the HomeSeer community, but I can't afford loosing money if I buy the BT lib, then get $60 of it.

It's up to you.
        --
        stipus

Comment

For me personally, a BT proximity plug-in is not worth $20, or even $10 for that matter. I am the only one in the house with a BT-enabled phone, and I don't have anything that really needs locking down at this time.

What I really wanted was a positioning capability... but as discussed previously, that's not something that's going to be feasible with BT.

I should also probably confess I have NO commercial/shareware plugins for HomeSeer. I'm a cheap bastard.

Dan

Comment

In a completely off-topic question, where the hell did you get HS2.0.2052 from? Why do I feel like everyone else knows how to get the latest updates but I don't?

I checked the updater, not there. I checked the release forums, not there.

Who do I have to have sex with around here...?

Dan

Comment

Latest version is 2053 (not tested)
              ftp://ftp.homeseer.com/updates/hs2/H...Update2053.exe
              It's not a public release. I think it's beta as long as it's not in the updater.

To come back on topic, the BT plugin would allow homeseer to know you are home, then you can modify some scripts to act in a different way based on that piece of information.
              Last edited by stipus; January 27, 2006, 07:57 PM.
              --
              stipus

Comment

yep 2 phones (xda mini, se T630), headset, palm T3, laptop running toshiba stack, desktop running linux with bluez stack

both worked tested on the same computer, Widcomm stack seemed quicker at finding devices. Also tried toshiba and bluesoeil stacks neither worked.

limited testing ok

RSSI always 0 not matter what stack used.

palm pilot beeps and comes up with making connection when powered on, assuming your plugin will allow you to pick which devices to scan for this wont be a problem for me at least.

the above was tested using a bluetooth 1.1 compliant dongle
                using a 1.2 compliant dongle and the microsoft stack gave erratic results, with devices taking a long time to be found then disappearing.

Nick

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report.

The lib is not compatible with the toshiba and blue soleil stacks. Only Microsoft and Widcom stacks are supported.

RSSI should show other values than 0 but only with the Widcomm stack > v1.5.0.0. At least this works when I test here.

The usual RSSI is 0, that means the signal strengh is OK.

RSSI < 0 means the signal strengh is too low. I can get this if I put my BT devices far away from my BT dongle.

RSSI > 0 means the signal is too strong. I can only get this with some BT devices when they are very close (too close) to the dongle.

using a 1.2 compliant dongle and the microsoft stack gave erratic results, with devices taking a long time to be found then disappearing
                  I will report this problem to the BT library developer and see what he has to say. Do you have more info about this BT 1.2 dongle (brand, model ?)
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus
                    That's good news !

It seems to work on both BT stacks, and discover all devices without error or secondary effect. A little more feedback would be good before going to the next step.

Now my problem is really simple:

How many are ready to pay $20 for a BT proximity plugin for HomeSeer 2 ? I really fear that I can loose a lot of money in this because the Bluetooth lib is not cheap !

Considering there was a 5 page thread asking for a Gamepad / Joystick plugin; I built one with a lot of features, full web configuration interface and so far there has been very few downloads and I never received any feedback.

Considering there was also a 5 page thread asking for an instant messenger plugin, I built one, and so far there have been very few downloads.

I can spend some time coding many plugins for the HomeSeer community, but I can't afford loosing money if I buy the BT lib, then get $60 of it.

It's up to you.
                    I would have no hesitation in paying $20 (even more depending on features, xap etc) for this plugin. I really hope you go ahead with it.

most of my freinds and familly have some sort of bluetooth enabled device and the ability to be able to customize greetings and lights when they come over would be fantastic.

to be honest guys the real reason I want this plugin is for mother in-law detection, just imagine the mother in-law approaches house curtains close lights turn off door locks - how much are you willing to pay for the plugin now

Nick

Comment

to be honest guys the real reason I want this plugin is for mother in-law detection

I have been looking carrefully at XAP and XPL this afternoon. It should be easy to implement at least one of them... My technical preference would go to XPL, but I think I'm going to choose XAP because it seems to be more widely used than XPL...

Another point is that the XPL .Net lib license is not very clear... I have been reading it several times, and I'm still not sure if I can sell a plugin based on this lib. It's released under GPL with one exception for independant modules that would link to the lib. Would a BT proximity program broadcasting xpl messages considered an independant module ???
                      --
                      stipus

Comment

RSSI should show other values than 0 but only with the Widcomm stack > v1.5.0.0. At least this works when I test here.
                        my widcomm stack version is 1.4.2 build 12, it came with the dongle and was the latest I could find. Where did you find v1.5 ?

I will report this problem to the BT library developer and see what he has to say. Do you have more info about this BT 1.2 dongle (brand, model ?)
                        Company: Blue Expert
                        Model name/number: BED-002
                        Key features & specifications: Bluetooth 1.2 Class 2, 10m to 20m operating range, point-to-multipoint connection, 79- channel FHSS, 7 devices paired, USB power, USB 2.0, supports Skype VoIP wireless call pick up

I have been looking carrefully at XAP and XPL this afternoon. It should be easy to implement at least one of them... My technical preference would go to XPL, but I think I'm going to choose XAP because it seems to be more widely used than XPL...
                        I personally hope you go with XAP

Nick

Comment

I got my Widcomm stack from the Dell support site (Windows files for a Latitude X300). However, I'm not sure you can install it on another computer than a Dell.

Thanks for the model info. I sent this to the lib developer.
                          --
                          stipus

Comment

using a 1.2 compliant dongle and the microsoft stack gave erratic results, with devices taking a long time to be found then disappearing.

Here is the answer from the developer:

If you make a device discovery from the Control panel, or some other tool. Do you still get the same effect. Maybe this is a MS stack limitation, and not a limitation of the BT lib ?

--
                            stipus

Comment

Stipus,

I'm using the Microsoft BT stack, installed last night for a new BT keyboard & mouse. Your exe gave some interesting results:

The Microsoft keyboard & mouse were detected, my BT phone & PDA weren't.
                              Probably not surprising, the Motorola V525 seems to broadcast BT when it first switches on, then goes 'silent'. The PDAs' BT is switched off, so not much of an issue there.

Software works

It did stop the keyboard working, but I've just rerun the .exe and its working now.

See above for the keyboard

Comment

Working...
                              X