Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, I would like to get started in using blue tooth technology, But I would like to ask, what is every body using hardware wise (on the receiver part)?? or in others words which gives better performance?

How many recievers do you need?

What distance do they cover?

What is the commen use for the plug in?

what is a stack?
    Last edited by Rotech; June 8, 2008, 02:53 PM.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by laserchris View Post
      he there , is it possible to get this to work on windows 2003 server? this plugin looks excellent .. but I cant get it to work..

I understand that windows 2003 does not come with a bluetooth stack, but wondered if anyone has managed to get it to work

cheers
      chris
      Plugin has been developped on a Windows 2003 Server computer (MSI key with Widcomm stack), and has been tested on another 2003 Server (dell laptop with Dell integrated bluetooth hardware and widcomm stack).

So it should work.
      --
      stipus

Comment

thats excellent news.

so on a w2003 server did you just install the bluetooth drivers that come with the dongle? or was there more to it then that?

i get the following error
        08/06/2008 23:13:35 - Error - Cannot access plug-in (may need to be re-installed): HSPI_BT.HSPI ->

although I havent managed to get my current dongle to work in W2003 itself yet

cheers

Comment

Just by installing the software driver that came with the key... or maybe I downloaded and installed the latest driver I could find on the MSI site.

The dongle (or other Bluetooth hardware) has to be recognized by windows first. Then you can try the plugin.
          --
          stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
            scorbett,

I just made a change to force the stack to widcomm.

Shutdown HS, rename current hspi_bt.dll to hspi_bt.old, copy the new hspi_bt.dll to the HS directory, restart HS and tell me if it worked.

Note to others: don't try this version with the MS stack... as stack is forced to widcomm and it may fail...

Best regards,
            I've just begun to work with this and installed this version. Am I to understand that devices should not be paired with the computer in order to work with the plugin?
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              I've just begun to work with this and installed this version. Am I to understand that devices should not be paired with the computer in order to work with the plugin?
              If you want to use the auto-discovery mode, devices should not be paired... as they are always found (even if they are turned off and away) when paired.
              --
              stipus

Comment

OK. This was semi working last evening, but now no go. I have to keep this short as I'm off to the dentist to have an abcess teken care of... owwwww.
                I'm using the later version posted here to force usr of the WIdcomm stack but my problem exists with either version.
                The root of it seems to be Windows, naturally so maybe someone with a little more BT experience than I can assist.
                There are two Bluetooth icons in the system tray, one white, the other red. I am able to discover devices using the smaller, white icon, but the larger red icon is telling me the Dongle can't be found.
                The plugin can't seem to discover anything.
                Any ideas?

Comment

I have just started using the Bluetooth plug-in and I am also experiencing similar problems. I am using the D-Link DBT-120 and started by loading the drivers that came with the adatper (I am using XP embedded on a Hometroller). I can get the hometroller to recognize and pair with the adapter through the BT software utility, but the devices are not recognized by the plug-in. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

Color me reckless, I'm about to try this:
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889814

Comment

Color me successful!

After following these instructions (above), including deleting ALL of the BT radios listed in Devicemanager and uninstalling and reinstalling the Widcomm drivers from the disk, several reboots later Windows began to complain (expected) that it couldn't find a driver for the device. I selected "install from disk" and pointed to the CD which came with the dongle. For the first time, I was presented with a Bluetooth setup dialog, which I foolishly ran.
                      Must have done something right because now everything is working.. including the plugin.

It seems uncharacteristic of Microsoft to provide instructions on removal of their components, and even more unlikely that such instructions would actually work!

Comment

Maybe working a little too well.
                        Using WidComm stack and the plugin configured for signal strength.

I've tried AutoDiscovery, Connect Service and Discover Service all with the same results.

Each time my Lifedrive (PalmPilot) is polled, it displays a "Connection in Progress" message. This is making it very difficult to do anything on the Palm.

I hope there's some way to prevent this without sacrificing functionality with the plugin.

Comment

Auto-Discovery should work without any on-screen message on the palm.... but you don't get signal strength using auto-discovery.
                          --
                          stipus

Comment

That would fall under the "sacrificing functionality" category.

Comment

Ditto

I'm with Wadenut on this one - the Palm "Connection in Progress" popup every poll interval is not only annoying, but the ring tone for that event cannot be turned off so far as I can tell, making this utterly useless on my Palm Treo. Turned of sound last night so I could sleep, but like Wadenut says, this is sacrificing functionality also as I make heavy use of SMS alerts as part of my security strategy.

Looks like I either gotta give up the Palm (not likely any time soon) or give up BT Connect in lieu of RFID.

BTW - all other phones (Samsung, Mot's) are working fine with my POS Dell dongle. Was going to go buy a 100m dongle today, but seems it won't buy me much capability given the Palm issue. Nice plugin though I must say - config worked well given my POS dongle, and my whole family uses their BT, so I wouldn't have the "she turns it off to save battery power" issue. Oh well. Lots of other toys to play with yet in HS!

- Ed K.

Comment

Second try, new device

OK, I removed my POS Dell dongle and replaced it with the highly touted Azio Class 1 (CSR chipset) from NewEgg (128 reviews, all mostly raves). Unfortunately, it came with the Toshiba stack. I have tried every combination of stacks (MS, Widcomm, Toshiba) and drivers (what came with the device) to try and get both the system and the plugin to recognize this thing. No Joy!!! I tried deleting all BT related stuff and reinstalling pieces in various sequences. No joy!!!

Can someone <b> <u> please </b></u> outline the correct sequence for installing the Azio device drivers, removing the Toshiba stack without removing the drivers, and getting the device to use either the MS or the Widcomm stack? This is driving me crazy!!! At this point I'm not sure I really care about the signal strength - I just need presence.

- Ed K.

Comment

Working...
                                X