This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smallest cost stand alone device

So for a car pulling up you could go off of that person's cell phone, but what is the least expensive device that you could put into a car, example: cheapo BT earbud, that would still have some range and doesn't rely on that person having their cell phone on.

I don't mind hooking into the car power, I am looking for examples of an inexpensive device you might just leave in that car.

Thanks for the input,
    Bill

~Bill

How about a wireless security system sensor. I am not familiar with current security systems, but I would assume they have some indication if their devices are not reporting; and then when the car comes home the device would start reporting.

Pete

Comment

Fry's had a BT mouse on sale for around $30 a couple of weeks ago. This kind of device might be an alternative?
      http://www.midondesign.com

Comment

There is an excellent How To either on this forum or Cocoontech that speaks to putting a X10 RF motion sensor in car connected to car battery. Then with DooMotion or similar HS plugin, when the car gets in range of the corresponding X10 RF receiver, your leg motion trips the motion sensor and DooMotion registers "Mike is Home" or whatever. Very cheap solution. Put on in each car and reuse the same X10 receiver for both. Plug the receiver into an outlet near the garage.

Don't think bluetooth is the right solution for this problem. too short range and possibly longer handshake time.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothtlk
          Don't think bluetooth is the right solution for this problem. too short range and possibly longer handshake time.
          Might work for accurate reporting and identifying you once you are pulled into the garage.

Comment

Using Motion Sensor in Car

Originally posted by smoothtlk
            There is an excellent How To either on this forum or Cocoontech that speaks to putting a X10 RF motion sensor in car connected to car battery. Then with DooMotion or similar HS plugin, when the car gets in range of the corresponding X10 RF receiver, your leg motion trips the motion sensor and DooMotion registers "Mike is Home" or whatever. Very cheap solution. Put on in each car and reuse the same X10 receiver for both. Plug the receiver into an outlet near the garage.

Here is the link to cocoontech on this,

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=52
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Answering the orig question,

I frequently see inexpensive bluetooth devices like headsets on www.bensbargains.net
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
              X