Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in the ability to send/receive SMS from the Bluetooth Plugin ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any interest in the ability to send/receive SMS from the Bluetooth Plugin ?

The ability to send and receive SMS from the Bluetooth plugin has been planned since I began coding the plugin.

You would need a phone compatible with the standard AT command set to send and receive SMS over Bluetooth (most recent bluetooth enabled phones - honestly, I don't know which ones)

I have a piece of test code around, who does just that, and I was wondering if this feature would interest anyone.

I see this feature as a plugin API that you would be able to call from any script:

SendSMS( bluetoothDevice, phoneNumber, message )

..and SMS reception would trigger a script or event

SMSReceived( phoneNumber, date, status, message )

Are you interested in such a feature ?
    --
    stipus

Darn cool Stipus...throw it over...and I'll have a play...

Comment

Hello Stipus.

Do you still plan to include the ability to send SMSs from the Bluetooth plugin?

Comment

Yes it's possible.... I was waiting for a few more user feedback about this feature.
        --
        stipus

Comment

I would be interested in that. I'm just coding a script to send SMS via Skype (because it's relatively cheap for each message and I already have a balance/account for that), but I would prefer to have a method to send an SMS without relying on whether the WAN connection is up.

Don't currently have the BT plugin, since I did not see it as worthwhile without the SMS functionality (even though I could probably code it, there are only so many hours in the day ).

Comment

The Skype plugin is going to allow sending SMS messages.
            --
            stipus

Comment

Originally posted by stipus View Post
              The Skype plugin is going to allow sending SMS messages.
              Maybe, but like I said, you're still tied to the telephone line. For an alarm alert, Skype is not really any good since your line is easily cut. A BlueTooth mobile, on the other hand will send the alert more reliably.

I'm looking to use both methods, since Skype SMS is cheaper than mobile SMS. So the cheap SMS for regular alerts and the more expensive route for alarms.

SMS through Skype is fairly easy with a script (I already use it from outlook), so I guess a Skype plugin's real value would be as a VoIP HS Phone type interface?

Comment

SMS through Skype is fairly easy with a script (I already use it from outlook), so I guess a Skype plugin's real value would be as a VoIP HS Phone type interface?
                I didn't find any way to hook skype audio in/out (yet). Currently, the Skype plugin is just going to control as much as possible of the skype client.

I'll work on Bluetooth SMS soon. I already have a piece of code that works, so it shouldn't be long.
                --
                stipus

Comment

+1 for the SMS over BLUETOOTH feature - not a user yet - but recent phone purchases for kids has made "who is home" a lot easier with BTH. A phone with pre-pay sim in texting would be cool.

Malarcy

Comment

Not all BT phones support sending SMS via bluetooth.... just checked with my Treo 650 and
                    --
                    stipus

Comment

I don't think I have a phone which supports this either and I have 4 of the buggers!

Comment

I think I'll release a small test windows application first.

This will be a lot easier to test this feature. Once we are sure the code works, I can integrate the feature to the plugin.
                        --
                        stipus

Comment

Here is a Test SMS Bluetooth application I just built.
                          Please try it and tell me if your phone does support SMS via Bluetooth.

I didn't try to run the app on the same server as the plugin. I'm not sure if the plugin and this app can run simultaneously.
                          Last edited by stipus; December 4, 2009, 06:43 PM.
                          --
                          stipus

Comment

Thanks for this Stipus...will give it a try and let you know the results.

Comment

Stipus,

Did not work with my O2 Exec II but with my trusty old nokia 6210 work np.

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X