This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uses for Bluetooth Connector

I was scanning posts looking for some ideas on how Bluetooth is integrated and used within HS. So far it seems that this is similar to RFID and HS where presence/absence of a device is used to control other devices.

So, like the RFID plug-in that can open garage door when an RFID tag within a vehicle is recognized the Bluetooth Connector plug-in could be used to detect presence of bluetooth signal coming from a vehicle and open garage door. Or would this be too slow to work effectively?
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

I want the pictures on my walls the change when I walk into the room
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
      I want the pictures on my walls the change when I walk into the room
      What, you got embedded bluetooth? I bet that hurt .
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

Hurt just a little... Actually it hurt my pocketbook when I purchased the HTC TyTn

I carry my cellphone in my pocket pretty much everywhere I go.

If I could embed rfid under my skin, and implement sensors that could track me in my house down to a few inches I would... I doubt that kind of sensitivity will be available anytime soon.
        Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

It'd be cheaper, better for the economy, and much much more accurate if you simply hired a midget servant...

Comment

yesterday at CES, I saw this robot that follows you arround, and has some pretty serious speakers in it, I thought that was pretty cool, give you good sound anywhere in the house.

There were a few other robots that looked pretty cool, one with a nice touch screen built in. I can't imagine leaning down to the floor level to turn on my lights though
            Joe (zimmer62)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Doolittle View Post
              I was scanning posts looking for some ideas on how Bluetooth is integrated and used within HS. So far it seems that this is similar to RFID and HS where presence/absence of a device is used to control other devices.

So, like the RFID plug-in that can open garage door when an RFID tag within a vehicle is recognized the Bluetooth Connector plug-in could be used to detect presence of bluetooth signal coming from a vehicle and open garage door. Or would this be too slow to work effectively?
              Jim,

I guess you never got an answer to your question. I was also thinking about using it (as some do with RFID) as a way to determine who is and is not present. Sounds a lot cheaper than the iAutomate solution. Did you ever get an answer elsewhere?

Thanks

Rob

Comment

No answer. Ended up going with CheaperRFID for now. If I am correct, I do not consider these competing technologies but rather complementing technologies. They seem have similar uses involving the presence/absence of a signal.

So, I will get some of the CheaperRFID transmitters and use ithe CheaperRFID plug-in. If I get a bluetooth device that I want to know status, I will use BlueTooth Connector. I do have a bluetooth enabled cellphone but I do not want to leave bluetooth enabled because I prefer to maximize battery usage. My PocketPC is bluetooth enabled but it is also WiFi enabled and I use network connectivity for status of it.
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't answer this but honestly I don't know. BT detection depends so much on the BT devices (dongle and device being detected) that's it's very hard to answer.

The best way to get the answer is to try if it works with your devices.
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

So Jim. What cheap RFID unit did you find?

Thanks

Rob

Comment

Working...
                    X