X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetools V1.20b issue

Hi Stipus,

I'm trying out v1.20b just in case it might resolve the connteciton issues.
    After copying the files into the HS dir and restarting HS, I discovered that all of my BT devices (in the Belkin BT manager) needed to be re-paired due to a "security issue."

I also noticed that my HDD is constantly being accessed under v1.20b (light is on almost steady) and this did not happen using v1.20.

Just some more info...
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

I just hope we don't have to wait too much for Bluetools 1.20c or 1.3....

The plugin uses the Bluetools lib in a a correct way. There is no bug in the way the plugin uses the Bluetools Lib.

The Bluetools lib itself seems very buggy with some Bluetooth stacks. With other stacks it's fine. Some Bluetooth stacks are also buggy when they are requested all the time.

In short... this plugin can work very well if you are lucky with the stack you got with your hardware/dongle... but it can also be a nightmare...

I don't know what I can do... I thought several times I should remove the plugin from the updater... then a few users reported great success and I decided to keep it. Hopefully there is a trial period, and users have a month to see if the plugin is compatible with their hardware.
    --
    stipus

Comment

Stipus,

I'm willing to keep testing, but can't justify a purchase unless it works for me. I sure appreciate your efforts and I'll keep at it until the trial runs out in 9 days.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

Comment

The success or not depends on several factors...
        1. The make of the BT dongle. I use several from one which is supplied with the Microsoft BlueTooth keybaord and several Belkin models (all of which work great)
        2. It depends on your phone...now my Nokia 6210 is the most reliable thing ever....it never skips a single discovery. My wife's smartphone does occasionally miss a discovery (but then even paired with Windows it does the same)...but my XDA...well that's a joke the BT is nearly unusable after 10 mins.
        3. Also depends on your house layout and construction like any wireless transmission protocol
        4. Also depends on wi-fi use in your home I have seen some dongles interfere/get interfered with by Wi-Fi equipment.
        Once I got this all figured out (which took me several weeks) I have been using the plugin successfully for some time...and I think its one of the great plugins on the board.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

darren,

Thanks for your input.
          1) I am using the Belkin 100meter dongle. I was using the D-Link DBT-120 but it had poor range (about 3m).
          2) I am using only 2 phones: a Motorola v710 and a xv6600 (HTC BlueAngel)
          3) I have a 2 story home and the BT system can reliably 'see' the phones anywhere in the house.
          4) Yes, I am aware that WiFi and BT share the same frequency spectrum. I have moved the two transcievers away from each other and both are working well.

The main issue I seem to have (in my system) is that once the BT connector fails one of the connections, it's all over for all devices. What is curious its that most of the time I can still connect to the devices via the Windows BT interface (file transfer, etc.) while the BT connector is failing.

A couple of questions for you...
          For each phone, what have you set for:
          1) Poll Delay
          2) Lost Confirm
          3) Poll Method
          4) Poll Service

Also,
          5) Which version (file date) of BlueTools are you running?
          6) When you 'install' a new phone do you pair it with the PC?
          6a) If so, do you do this before or after discovery from the BT conn?

Thanks for your help!
          Best regards,
          -Mark-

Comment

I think Darren uses Bluetools 1.10 (the original lib distributed with the plugin)
            --
            stipus

Comment

mfisher,

1) Poll Delay
              2) Lost Confirm
              3) Poll Method
              4) Poll Service

OK...lets take for example my Nokia

Poll Delay --> 10
              Lost Confirm --> 1
              Poll Method --> AutoDiscovery
              Poll Service --> 1

Also,
              5) Which version (file date) of BlueTools are you running?
              6) When you 'install' a new phone do you pair it with the PC?
              6a) If so, do you do this before or after discovery from the BT conn?

Version of BT DLL --> As Stipus states I am running the orginals...however the 1.20b does work for me whereas any of the previous 1.20x builds did not.

Pair with phone --> NO not unless I intend to use that device with the PC and I always pair first.

However, I do tone down the AutoDiscovery Cycle on the networks settings which have BT stacks which have other BT devices on them...eg BT keyboard/ mouse...I find the default settings interfere with the use of these devices.

I have read that the xv6600's BT implementation was only designed for headsets? (hope I am wrong)

I find that with my XDA Exec II the BT stack goes to sleep even when its paired with the PC...the bluetooth LED flashes but there's no-one home!

Hope this helps

Comment

darren,

Thanks for your info.
                I've been pairing both my phones prior to discovering w/ the BT plugin.

Regarding the xv6600 BT implementation, it supports everything - including OBEX, which Verizon claims they've disabled on all their other phones for security reasons. I'm surprised they didn't cripple this one too.

BT on my xv6600 continues to function correctly even when the unit is "asleep". I can access it from my PC anytime.

I'm going to give a newer version of the Widcomm stack a try and see if that makes things better or worse.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

Comment

Did you try the new stack?

Comment

Working...
                  X