Change the stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change the stack

Not that I know what a stack is but how do I change it, can I change it and the dongle will still work. This is driving me nuts. Help please.
    Mike

Depends on whether the stack has support for your dongle.

Most (all?) Bluetooth stacks are licensed and come bundled with a particular hardware device. i.e. You'll have to pay money to get a different one, unless it is the one that came bundled with your device, or the Microsoft BT stack that comes with XP, etc.

I believe that there are 3 main flavours of stacks (Code that implements Bluetooth functionality); the MS stack, the Widcomm stack and the Broadcom stack, although if memory serves the last two are now the same company.

Many hardware manufacturers license the Widcomm/Broadcom stacks and tweak them for their devices, so you'll see Belkin, Logitech, TDK "stacks" etc., but under the covers they are pretty much the same product.

Different stacks support different Bluetooth profiles (functionality). e.g. Some have HID, advanced Audio and BT personal area networking support, others, such as the MS stack have limited functionality.

Other than that, yes, you can change your stack, but it is usually a nightmare unless you can completely uninstall the old one and install the new one without Windows butting-in to try and install it's own stack.

Comment

Thanks Fuego, that makes it a little clearer.
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X