Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stipus
    replied
    I really want to use this for triangulation...
    Do not expect miracles from Bluetooth triangulation.

Bluetooth signal strength is often not very consistent, and the triangulation you get from this data is a bit approximate.

For example, if you divide your house into 4 large areas, you can easily find in which one is the phone, but don't expect a very good precision. And if you have several floors, this complicates things...

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    replied
    Dang!

That's the MAIN thing holding me back from buying!

I really want to use this for triangulation...

Thanks for keeping on top of this Stipus!

As soon as my new house is built, I'm going to have to try out the newest version (finally try the demo) and make certain that it works with my BT dongle (I have the Belkin one that's mentioned in a few places your BT forums).

Is there anything you think I can do to help the author of the library to ...hurry along with his developments? I hope you get a "free" upgrade when he add this in??

--Dan

Leave a comment:

• stipus
    replied
    It's a restriction of the Bluetooth library the plugin uses (Bluetools).

The author of the Bluetooth library said long ago he would support multiple dongles in the future. All the functions in the Bluetools API have parameters to select the dongle... however only dongle0 is currently supported.

I just checked the Bluetools library support forum here:
    http://www.franson.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=20

... and there is still no support for multiple dongles !

Leave a comment:

• drozwood90
    started a topic Multiple Dongles?

Multiple Dongles?

Stipus,

Did you ever determine with the new stack (which I saw that you mentioned a while ago) you were able to run multiple BT dongles on the same PC?

I have taken a generally centralized take over how I configured my network.

That is, all my cameras go to my 1 server, all my serial devices go into the same server. This allows me easier control over my system and allows a single machine to do all the work.

I wanted to use USB extenders to put the BT dongles at various areas of my house. Then use the software to try to help triangulate locations.

I know you had mentioned in the past to just put the client on a seperate computer in the area to be monitored. However, in my case, would I be able to put 3-4 dongles on one PC, then install the plugin, and clients on the same machine?

This has been scratching at the back of my mind for a LONG time...which the last time I asked, you mentioned it was actually a restriction of the BT stack (if I am remembering correctly!!).

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

--Dan
Working...
X