This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are we with Win7 64 bit

I've purchased this plug in and have purchased what is now a small pile of USB Bluetooth adapters trying to get Widcomm drivers to work in Windows 7 and still more coming in the mail.

I've gotten as far as to get them installed but get a signing error. The Widcomm drivers from Broadcomm run through a validation check before the drivers will even begin to download, but none of the dongles I have purchased pass the test.

According to product descriptions I've read before purchasing, Widcomm drivers do work. I guess this is on everything besides 64 bit operating systems older than XP.

I think there IS Widcomm Windows 7 64bit drivers out there. But, do they report range information?

Granted they all work with the default Windows 7 stack, but I want range information.

How do I get range information in Windows 7 64 bit?

Also read somewhere the range information stopped being reported after a certain version. Is this true?

Can we get an update to this plug in? I'm happy to send the pile I have purchased to the author in hopes to find something that works. Can send along a windows 7 64 bit OS too if needed????

Please help, it would be so cool to have this working.

Well, after much trial and error and money down the drain, I think I finally found something that will work. At least I am one step closer...

Jabra A320s (google a place to buy one AND MAKE SURE IT SAYS IT COMES WITH SOFTWARE! You will not need it, but is a licensing thing). Before plugging into computer I went to Broadcomm and downloaded the latest Widcomm drivers - the one that launches the validation before actually installing them -
    The drivers identified the device and installed windows 7 64 bit drivers on a test machine.

I wonder if this version will report signal strength.

At least it is nice to have a real Widcomm friendly device.

Can't wait to test it out on HS.

Comment

Boo. Signal strength -2147483648
      Always says that.

Why?

Comment

Hello? Stipus?

Comment

Dear Eddie,

This plugin has been coded "years..." ago, using a Bluetooth library called Bluetools to access the operating system Bluetooth API, or specific bluetooth API such as the Broadcom/Widcomm bluetooth stack.

Unfortunately, this library is not very well supported anymore. There has been no update for years.

If you go to the lib presentation page:
          http://franson.com/bluetools/

You'll see in the upper left corner:

1. December 2007
          NEW! BlueTools 1.21 released!

The plugin can only support operating systems, bluetooth stacks and bluetooth devices that are compatible with this lib. Many plugin users had great success with specific bluetooth stacks and dongles, but unfortunately this is not the case with all os/bt stacks/bt dongles/bt devices combinations.

As far as I know, only the Broadcom/Widcom 32-bit Bluetooth stack does support signal strength reporting. I haven't tested anything else.
          --
          stipus

Comment

Ok.

So I deleted my BT devices through the Plug-in config. Re-added and configured them to work as detected and away devices.

This worked! Had to put the iPhone on Discover Service (1) so it would get detected when the screen was locked / etc.

Cool.

Went to bed, got up this morning and the device was "away".

Looked at the HS Log window and see messages saying Discovery aborted because there is already one pending. (or something like that).

Could not get rid of the messages so shutdown HSPro and restarted.

HS Log says Microsoft BT Stack not found, BT disabled.

I am not using the MSft BT stack, I am using the WIDCOMM stack. It was working.

How does your plug-in determine which stack to use? How can I force it to always use Widcomm and not Microsoft?

The last resort I guess is to uninstall the Widcomm drivers and go back to Microsoft stack if this is even possible.

Don't understand how it could work for a while then stop working forever (?) a few hours later.

I rebooted the computer too.

Don't want to give up on this.

Thank you.

Comment

Also, that link, they say their Lib works perfectly on a 64 bit machine under a 32 bit process. (some people say it)

I suppose all of HS is running as a 32 bit process... Not sure where this is breaking down

I have access to developers if that helps at all? They might help me out. Or their computers will suddenly slow down until they do. hehe

Comment

The problem is that some Bluetooth stack versions are buggy.... the developers didn't test scenario such as sending hundreds or thousands of service discoveries one after the other...

The service discovery function is something you usually call manually from the Windows Explorer Bluetooth Neighborhood... the function is called once when you select a BT device, to discover its services.

With some stack versions, it can work fine for months.... while some other stacks will crash after a few hours... I have seen cases with the BT stack .exe process stuck taking 100% CPU and not responding.

Yesterday I had a look at another professional Bluetooth Library I could interface with the plugin, but it cost $500, and when I had a look at their support forum, they also have the same kind of problems... they say they support Widcom but not Broadcom... too many problems with different BT stacks...

Sometimes I think I should remove the "signal strength" feature from the plugin, and access the Windows Bluetooth stack directly without any lib.
                --
                stipus

Comment

My guess is you also put your iPhone on the charger. When the iPhone is charging, immediately I was getting iPhone away. As soon as I removed it from the charger, it came back to signal OK. Just an FYI

Originally posted by Eddiie View Post
                  Ok.

So I deleted my BT devices through the Plug-in config. Re-added and configured them to work as detected and away devices.

This worked! Had to put the iPhone on Discover Service (1) so it would get detected when the screen was locked / etc.

Cool.

Went to bed, got up this morning and the device was "away".

Looked at the HS Log window and see messages saying Discovery aborted because there is already one pending. (or something like that).

Could not get rid of the messages so shutdown HSPro and restarted.

HS Log says Microsoft BT Stack not found, BT disabled.

I am not using the MSft BT stack, I am using the WIDCOMM stack. It was working.

How does your plug-in determine which stack to use? How can I force it to always use Widcomm and not Microsoft?

The last resort I guess is to uninstall the Widcomm drivers and go back to Microsoft stack if this is even possible.

Don't understand how it could work for a while then stop working forever (?) a few hours later.

I rebooted the computer too.

Don't want to give up on this.

Thank you.

Comment

I have never been able to successfully track my iPhone with the BT Connector.

The iPhone Bluetooth stack has special features to lower battery drain, and it stops answering the BT Connector after a while.
                    --
                    stipus

Comment

I have finally successfully got this to work with my iPhone. Well, 24 hours now and success.

Using the Microsoft stack, but I don't care. The signal strength is just strong enough to pick up my phone as I am walking up the short sidewalk, turns my porch light on for me. That's all I ever wanted. haaa

I'm going to let it ride another day or so and make sure it is not just a lucky streak.

Charging, Settings->General->Bluetooth->Discoverable, lock screen, call screen, ipod screen, it doesn't matter. Almost too good to be true.

No errors in the log, BT Debug enabled everything polling.

I need to stop or I'll tear up.

Comment

which iPhone do you have?

in your steps, what do you mean by Lock Screen? quick push of the OFF switch on top?

Comment

I have 3GS jailbroken.
                          My wife has a 3GS unbroken, will test over the weekend.

This just crapped out after 2 days. Rebooted the phone and it was detected again.

Comment

After running this for a few days, I am happy with the settings for the plug-in.

The issue now seems to be the iPhone and its Bluetooth device. This is different than before when I was getting all sorts of errors in the HS log after a few hours of polling.

Here are the settings and steps I used to detect my iPhone in Win 7 64 bit, using the Windows Stack successfully.

First, I have settled on the Jabra A320s (photo attached) purchased from a seller on Amazon for about $19.00 USD. It came with the Widcomm software and passes the validation check on the latest Widcomm driver installer. It took many USB dongles to make it past this check, but this brand/model did the trick. It is also rated for 30 meters (or whatever the long distance versions are rated for). It is connected to a powered USB Hub and shares the line with the CM11A.

Second, I installed all the software, ran updates, etc etc.

Third, pair the phone with the computer !!!

Fourth, edit the BT Connector plug-in settings...
                            The First tab, Interface:
                            I have "debug" checked.
                            Interface version 2.48.2.2

Second tab, BT Networks:
                            Paying attention to the text on this page -
                            Enabled
                            Network0
                            Local is checked
                            AutoDiscovery is NOT checked
                            AutoDiscovery Interval 30

Third tab, BT Devices:
                            Enabled
                            Device0
                            name of device
                            POLL DELAY 20
                            LOST CONFIRM 3
                            POLL METHOD AUTODISCOVERY
                            POLL SERVICE 11 (I looked this up on the Wiki, it is the keyboard service!)
                            HS Device P3 (for some reason I chose that)

It works!! My device is detected in reasonable time, a little faster would be good, and maybe can find the right setting with a bit more tweaking.

Have not added the wife's iPhone yet or had time to tell if any Cydia apps out there might help.

In the past I had some crazy settings, poll every second with 5 second time out or something which seemed to over fill a buffer of some sort. These new settings seem to calm everything down. It only takes one successful poll for the device to be detected in HS. Cool.

I think the Widcomm stack thing is a dead-end on the Broadcom side. Although signal strength would be awesome, Away / Detected is good enough.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for posting your settings. I am trying the same ones, and i have two detectors running: one on the HS machine and the other on a remote laptop.

on the remote laptop, even with the phone right next to the PC, after about 10 minutes of being detected as found, I get this message:

17:03:45 Error while polling Kates iPhone4: Service lookup timed out

do you ever see this? it then stays with that message each poll for quite a time.

simon

Comment

Working...
                              X