This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Network?

This may be a stupid question, but I have to ask it anyway.

Can the Caddx data be sent over a wireless network? After the ribbon cable, could the ethernet cabling be plugged into a wireless router and sent to the Homeseer PC that way?

The reason I ask is that Homeseer isn't anywhere near my Caddx box and all of the ethernet and phone runs to that room are already in use. I really don't know how the nx-8e communicates with the PC, so thats why the question might be really foolish. :-)

It's serial port 9 pin connection that's used, so I don't know how you'd send it wirelessly. Cat5 only uses 2 of the 4 twisted pair for ethernet, are you sure you don't have any unused ethernet pair?

Comment

There is the ethernet add-on board (NX590-E), but last I heard was that the current firmware on it didn't support the "automation" API. Once I hear different I'm planning on getting ahold of one and adding support for it into my plugin.

-Nitrox

Comment

I have a 590e with the latest software. I have both the RS232 interface and the Ethernet interface to my Homeseer PC. Of course the Homeseer interfaces with the NX8e via the RS232. The Caddx DL900 software will use either interface. I have found that the RS232 interface to be about three times as fast as the Ethernet. However, the Ethernet allows me to connect remotely via the web.
        Jim

Comment

ka7gzr,
          I understand that they were first going to implement an embeded web server on the 590. Is that implemented on your board -- or are you just connecting with DL9000 over the web?

Thanks

Comment

I am connecting to the 590e via the dl900 software. I also had heard there was going to be an embedded web server on the 590e. I will check with my caddx sources.

Jim

Comment

I'm referencing the cable configuration diagram found at http://board.homeseer.com/attachment...achmentid=4035.

Where it shows the Cat5 cable is what I'm talking about. Could that be connected to a wireless router instead of directly to the pc and then the data sent over RF to the computer?

To the room in question I have a VOIP/Asterisk phone run on the Cat4 wiring, then two fax lines run on the extra Cat5 twisted pairs. I possibly could put Caddx on the remaining pair on the Cat4.

There is also another wireless hub in that room which is why I am wondering about wireless (or possibly over the network to the hub and then to the PC?) Again, I don't know much about Caddx so I'm in the dark about how it works. I've read all the manuals but they pretty much just tell you how to turn things on and off, not how they actually work.

Comment

Working...
              X