This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CheaperRFID - Other Uses

Starting a new thread here as an offshoot of the CheaperRFID package.

As we come up with new ideas please post them here.

Thanks!

~Bill

Mailbox Signal

My first project will be to put a switch in series of the two batteries.

When the mailbox opens, it will broadcast.

~Bill

Comment

Security System Add-on

I figured this would also act as a good door monitor.

It could be used to monitor gates, windows, whatever.

Just wire a magnetic switch in series so the RFID will transmit under the conditions you want.

~Bill

Comment

40 Meter Board

This is the diagram on how I would hook a switch (either magnetic or manual).

If the normal position for the door would put the switch in an open position the batteries would last for a very long time.
        Attached Files

~Bill

Comment

Hey Bill, just a note that I posted on the other forum as well. I have been told by the manufacturer that a new version is coming out that has terminal blocks instead of batteries built in. It is much smaller and this will give you and easy way to add your switch. He is sending me a prototype this week. I'll take some pictures when I get it.

PiperPilot

Comment

I need to get a potentiometer and wire it in series to 12v to see if I can use the pot as a voltage dropper, but make sure the series circuit still has enough current to power the board.

Normally resistors don't make good voltage droppers because if the load of the source changes, so does your voltage drop.

This circuit should be pretty consistent, maybe put a cap parallel to the load to keep the voltage up during the very quick xmt pulse.
            Last edited by Bill Brower; January 12, 2007, 02:01 AM.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
              My first project will be to put a switch in series of the two batteries.

When the mailbox opens, it will broadcast.
              I had a great mailbox announcer from Radio Shack (clearance price!) until I tried to automate it more. Messed up the soldering job and never got it to work again. I am ready to automate mailbox again though. I was going to try a HawkEye motion sensor and take advantage of both dusk/dawn sensor and motion sensor and never got around to doing it. Hmmm....maybe I need to modify DooMotion to account for both motion and light sensing which would equal mailbox opened. Or...I try this RFID idea...
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Garage Door Control

OK. We have two vehicles that are parked in attached garage. I would like garage door to open when they arrive. piperpilot mentions car power options that may be available. That is great! However, I have to come up with a different mechanism for opening the door because up 'til now I use X10 and I have a magnetic reed switch that disables ability for X10 to open door for security reasons. HomeSeer can close the door which I do if door is open for over 60 minutes with no movement by any of several motion detectors in the area (utilizing DooMotion features of course!).

What would anyone suggest?
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,
                  This is the first thing I'm going to try. I'm going to allow HomeSeer to detect the RFID sensor and then try connecting a powerflash (or universal module - I can never remember which one will make contact closure when it receives and X10 signal) to my existing wires that the button is connected to. I know this isn't secure but I've not seen a stray X10 signal in months. A UPB device would probably be more secure.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Bill, every 2-3 seconds the load is going to change dramatically. You will have a tough time getting the time constant right for your "RC" that you are trying to make.

My suggestion is to just use a small power regulator. If you don't want a part like that micrel (which has a shutdown PIN, which would be connected to your Vin and your magnet switch, say a 10K to ground to make sure it gets pulled down when the contacts are closed) just use a diode with the reverse bias voltage that you want. That's all that is in most power supplies anyhow (just for the reference).

I'm not sure if a magnet switch is going to be able to turn OFF the voltage enough to give you what you want. I'd be interested in finding out!

If you need any help with a circuit, let me know. I design control boards for thermal imaging cameras for a living.

--Dan

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    I need to get a potentiometer and wire it in series to 12v to see if I can use the pot as a voltage dropper, but make sure the series circuit still has enough current to power the board.

Normally resistirs don't make good voltage droppers becuase if the load of the source changes, so does your voltage drop.

This circuit should be pretty consistant, maybe put a cap parallel to the load to keep the voltage up during the very quick xmt pulse.
                    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Jim,
                      This is the first thing I'm going to try. I'm going to allow HomeSeer to detect the RFID sensor and then try connecting a powerflash (or universal module - I can never remember which one will make contact closure when it receives and X10 signal) to my existing wires that the button is connected to. I know this isn't secure but I've not seen a stray X10 signal in months. A UPB device would probably be more secure.
                      I would likely move to a UPB UMI for this. In that case, I would remove the magentic reed switch that disallows (by breaking the circuit) opening of the door.
                      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                      My Hardware & Software

Comment

Rupp,

See if this helps:

Powerflash -> Input
                        Universal Module -> Output

So, I think of PI (3.14159...) and then realize UM is O. Silly, but it works for me!
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

UPB U M I = Good
                          X10 = P O O !

Comment

Hee..Hee!
                            Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                            My Hardware & Software

Comment

Instead of a reed switch or some other mechanism to lockout the door, I wired 2 Universal Modules in series. Then, I have HS send both commands (it queues them and sends them fast enough). The Universal Modules are set for temporary closure.

Each module is a different house code AND number. So, IF I get a stray X10, worst case, it's going to trip only 1.

However, I'm currently moving to UPB, so as soon as I get some extra $$, I'll be going that route.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X