This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug-in Issue or Receiver Saturation??

I finally got my RFID receiver installed this weekend and setup two of my four tags in preparation for doing some testing. At the moment I have a 40M and a 8M setup. Everything appeared to work great for about 8 hours or so and then all of a sudden the two tags changed to away without ever leaving the house. They both changed two 'Away' within a second of each other. After leaving the system alone for an additional day to see if the tags would come back (they didn't), I finally went into Homeseer and disabled the plug-in and attached to the receiver via hyperterminal; the tags were still reporting in to the receiver as they should. I then disconnected from hyperterminal and re-enabled the plug-in. Still, the tags were reporting 'away'. I then completely shut down HomeSeer and restarted it. After doing this the tags came back. This has happened two times thus far. Each time the tags go 'away' at the same time and a restart of HomeSeer (thus the plug-in) is required to recover.

My receiver is installed in my old sprinkler timer case mounted on my garage wall and the 1 40M tag is in the glove box of one of my cars approximately 4 meters from receiver when the car is parked in the garage. The 8M tag is in my Wife's purse in the house.

I am trying to determine if this is a receiver saturation issue (I.e. the 40M overloading the receiver when the car is in the garage) or a plug-in issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I'm excited about getting my tags setup and getting some events created to take advantage of this cool new addition to my home automation, however it is unusable in its current state.

If anyone has insight on this issue I would love for them to share their thoughts.

Thanks

I forgot to mention versions....

I am running HomeSeer 2.2.0.11 and CheaperRFID plug-in version 2.0.4.0 (latest) on a Windows Vista PC.

Comment

Are you using the on board comport on your PC to connect to the receiver or an adapter?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I've got six active tags right now, and I've never seen an issue with saturation. If the 40M tags are too close, it seems the receiver just doesn't pick them up, but still picks up the 8M tags. Fact is, I don't see the 40M tags drop out much at all.

If you are seeing the tags via Hyperterm but not with the plug-in, it isn't any issue with your COM port. Sounds like something haywire with the plug-in. I don't have any experience with PiperPilot's plug-in, as I use a different one (Blade's).

I did have almost exactly the same situation as you described one time when I accidentally unplugged the wall wart that I was powering the recevier with. Both tags went "away" and when I plugged it back in they stayed as "away" even though the debug showed they were reporting. I had to restart HS and all was well again. Mind you, that was only one time in over a year. Other than that it has been absolutely rock solid.

Steve

Comment

I actually saw some severe saturation this past weekend on my setup. I replaced the battery in an 8M tag using a CR2032. After replacing the battery, nothing would work through the plug-in. My other 2 tags showed 'away' and were previously working fine.

I went into HyperTerm on the COM port (edgeport) and saw my tag with the new battery scrolling like crazy - the other two tags could not even get bandwidth on the receiver.

I ended up removing the CR2032 battery for a few minutes, and unplugged the power from the receiver for a while. Powered everything back up and it's now running stable again.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'm using a USB to serial for my COM port, however I do have a 9v wall wart plugged into the receiver. I also don't see anything in the log when the tags go 'away'. How do I set the debug level on this? Maybe if I can get more verbose logging I might discover something.

In the meantime I'm going to continue troubleshooting if this continues. I added my remaining tags and so far it's working. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope it stays that way. Maybe the plug-in just needed two restarts instead of one.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Well it looks like the same issue this moring. I added my remaining tags for a total of 4 tags. All tags were added around 8:00 PM yesterday and at 2:47 AM today all 4 tags went away within a second of each other.

How do I set more verbose logging on the plug-in so maybe I can uncover something there. This issue seems to point at the plug-in but it's really hard to tell at this point.

I'm going to shut off my 40m tags for the next day to see if the issue goes away with just my 8m tags on the system.

Comment

Same issuehere...

I ran into the same sort of issue some time ago. See this thread. I never found the root cause. I do suspect the plug-in because data was rolling in on the com port using hyper terminal. Although I have not been using the CheaperRFID stuff since, I plan on giving it another try. However, I'm concerned that there has not been ANY further development of the plug-in and based on your results I don't have much confidence.

Comment

The issue still prevails. All of my tags are going 'Away' within a second of each other within 5 to 10 hours of restarting HomeSeer. I'm going to disable the CheaperRFID plug-in and try Blade's RFID plug-in to see if I get better results. The CheaperRFID plug-in makes this system unusable for me.

Comment

I will try and offer some insight from my experience with the Cheaper RFID stuff.

Initially my setup consisted of 1 receiver module, 3 8M tags, and 3 40M tags. My reciever is located in my basement with my Homesrre PC, with a coaxial cable run of about 35' to my garage where it is connected to a "Cross Type" antena. I brought all 6 transmitters online at the same time and was using the CheaperRFID plugin. All the transmitters were powered by the CR2025 batteries and I installed a wall wart on the reciever (initially I tried the reciever without the wall wart and I could not get anything to work). I had constant dropouts with the transmitters. My Idea was to have 1 40M and 1 8M transmitter in each car as a fail safe. I could not get this to work reliably at all. The next thing I did was to switch to Blades plugin. The dropouts were less, but the system was still not reliable. My next step was to eliminate the 8M transmitters. Reliability got a little better. I still had a lot of dropouts.

You say your tags drop out and never come back. I did not have this problem. My problem was that the tags would dropout and then come right back.

I then went and wired up 4 AA batteries to the 40M tags as the power source. This cleared up all my problems. My system has been running for about 8 months, and I think I've had maybe 2 or 3 false readings. It took some trail and error to find the sweet spot in the driver for the time the tag had to go out of range before it would register as away.

Here are some of my thoughts. It is documented that the 40M tags have problems working indoors (to strong of a signal). This is stated on the website. Both my cars are in the garage along with the antena and I don't have issues, but I am also not mixing 8 and 40M transmitters. When they are indoors, I don't think they play well with the 8M transmitters. The batteries (cr2025) don't last very long and when they start to lose power, they wreak havoc on the entire system. In the beginning this was a big source of my problems.

My setup now is rock solid. I get about 250' out of the 40M transmitters. They are so reliable that I have them automatically open my garage door when I approach my home.

Maybe some one can share there experiences, as everyones install is unique.

HTH
                    Thanks,

T.

Comment

T:

Your experience and mine are nearly identical, except in how we each diagnose the problem. My system is also rock solid, and I too get about 250' on the 40M tags. However, my opnion of the problems I've had in the past are different than yours:

1) I've never had a problem with the batteries. I've changed the CR2025's on 2 of the 4 8M tags once, and that was 8 months ago.

2) My 8M tags seem to be completely unaffected by the 40M tags.

3) When I have had problems with the 8M tags, I've almost always been able to make them go away by trying to change how the coiled antenna lays in the enclosure.

I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right. Rather, I think this is still pretty non-deterministic, and both of us are speculating on what we think made our system stable.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by gsanders01 View Post
                        The issue still prevails. All of my tags are going 'Away' within a second of each other within 5 to 10 hours of restarting HomeSeer. I'm going to disable the CheaperRFID plug-in and try Blade's RFID plug-in to see if I get better results. The CheaperRFID plug-in makes this system unusable for me.
                        Ditto...

T;
                        What's Blades Plug-In called? I can't seem to find it. Thanks Frank
                        Last edited by FrankR; March 29, 2008, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankR View Post
                          Ditto...

T;
                          What's Blades Plug-In called? I can't seem to find it. Thanks Frank
                          Frank you would need to get it from Blades plugin site.. name is BLRFid

TO find his site follow my sig link and you`ll find Blades site listed there..

TrOjAn

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X