This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Pack for cheaper RFID transmitter

One of my cheaper RFID tags has been dropping out a lot lately, so I replaced the battery. This did not solve the problem. Upon further investigation I discovered the new battery was almost dead. (It had probably been sitting on the store shelf for years!).

So, I decided to modify the RFID transmitter by adding 2 AA batteries in place of the CR2302 battery. To hold the batteries I used a dead DS10a and soldered wires from the battery clips to the RFID circuit board. This setup is working great. The batteries should last at least a year and are easy to replace!

Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    One of my cheaper RFID tags has been dropping out a lot lately, so I replaced the battery. This did not solve the problem. Upon further investigation I discovered the new battery was almost dead. (It had probably been sitting on the store shelf for years!).

So, I decided to modify the RFID transmitter by adding 2 AA batteries in place of the CR2302 battery. To hold the batteries I used a dead DS10a and soldered wires from the battery clips to the RFID circuit board. This setup is working great. The batteries should last at least a year and are easy to replace!

Steve Q
    Steve Q, how is this setup working still? Are you getting better life from teh 2 aa batteries? Also, why 2 and not 4? I think aa are 1.5v so couldn't you use 4 and get 6v or does it not work this way?

Just curious, I was looking at the exact same idea. DS10a is a good size, has 4 aa built in, etc.

Comment

Hi All,

When switching battery supplies it is really important that you provide the same voltage to the transmitter. For example, switching a RF40315T to 3 volts from the original 6 will result in around 5-6 meters of usable range.

I'll have a 4-year 40 meter transmitter available on my site soon for those of you interested in buying rather than building.
      http://cliste.sailwhatcom.com

Cheers,
      Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
        Steve Q, how is this setup working still? Are you getting better life from teh 2 aa batteries? Also, why 2 and not 4? I think aa are 1.5v so couldn't you use 4 and get 6v or does it not work this way?

Just curious, I was looking at the exact same idea. DS10a is a good size, has 4 aa built in, etc.
        I never considered using more than 2 aa batteries because the battery holders I had on hand used 2 AA batteries. Yes the battery life is much longer and the transmitter still works when the temperature is below 30F. I am happy with my setup.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
          I never considered using more than 2 aa batteries because the battery holders I had on hand used 2 AA batteries. Yes the battery life is much longer and the transmitter still works when the temperature is below 30F. I am happy with my setup.

Steve Q
          I guess I was thinking of the motion sensor box not the door/window sensor, which is bigger and has 4 aa batteries. This makes more sense now.

Comment

Jeff, looking forward to the 4-year transmitter. Any idea what the $ will be? Also, any thoughts on doing a less complete package instead of the family pack...maybe the car package w/ receiver and 2 4-year transmitters.

Comment

Not sure on the price yet as I'm still working on testing to verify range & stability which is causing me to switch out some parts. I'll consider a smaller package as I get this and the plug-in worked out.

Cheers,
              Jeff

Comment

Hello,

I have a 40 meter, 4 to 5 year transmitter up on the site. Head over for information and specs.
                http://cliste.sailwhatcom.com/

Cheers,
                Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Are the 8M and 40M transmitters similar to the CheaperTronics units. Will they work with my existing receiver?

Steve Q

Comment

Yes, everything is compatible with CheaperTronics equipment.

Cheers,
                    Jeff

Comment

OK, I have my RFID up and running. Few things I did/learned:

* The USB version of the receiver is basically a project box with the RS-232 receiver and a dismantled prolific usb-serial adapter. I would suggest just using your own adapter or no adapter at all (BLRfid forum reports issues and I got much better experience using a direct serial connection).

* I split my antenna for my W800 and so far so good. Current setup is antenna -> 2-way splitter -> 2 male/male couplers -> W800 and RFID.

* I used BLRfid over CheaperRFID. It seems to have better options, logging, etc.

* I hacked up the box receiver came in to mount the serial port externally and I also soldered an mounted a F-Type connector in order to connect to the antenna.

* Still considering a 9V power source.

* I ended up getting the 40m car wired transmitters. They seemed more versitle and I will ultimately wire in the car. Right now I hooked the 6v terminal to a 4 pack of AAA batteries using a holder from Radio Shack that has an on/off switch. I will let you know about my experience of battery usage if I keep them on the AAA batteries for a while.

* I ended up setting BLRfid to 15 seconds before it recognizes the RFID transmitters as out of range. It seems like normal is every 2-3 seconds to transmit. However, my experience goes up to just under 15 so I set it at 15 to have a little cusion. I plan on watching the log files in BLRfid to see if I have any dropouts.

Comment

I have some 40m tags that are wired directly into the car 12v system, they work just great. I tried using a 9v battery on others but it lasted 2 weeks and had to be replaced. Whoever it was that said it was the voltage regulator in the tag that sucked the battery dry was 100% correct. I switched from using a 9v battery to using a pack that was 6v and it hasn't missed a beat since.
                        Marty
                        ------
                        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Does anyone know what size plug goes into the reciever. I want to connect a 9v wall wart and want to make sure I get the right one.

Comment

Working...
                          X