This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype for HomeSeer

I just finished developing an application that I am calling hsSkype. It is my first VB.NET application. It will eventually become a plug-in but for now it simply sits in the System Tray and allows Skype to notify HomeSeer of some events.

The current functionality is available:
    • The Skype caller name of an incoming call is spoken by HomeSeer
    • The Skype caller name is logged when call is missed
    • When a call is active, HomeSeer speech is muted and listening for commands is disabled
    • When a call is no longer active, HomeSeer speech is unmuted and listening for commands is enabled
    • For users that have the LEDAM plug-in installed, the application will display a message on signs using a priority of 5. This function will be removed when the app is ported to a plug-in since a user could set up an event to accomplish this.
    You can download a copy of Skype for HomeSeer here.

Future enhancements will obviously include HomeSeer triggers and actions.

NOTE: The future of Skype has been brought into question specifically with regards to compliance to standards. I will continue to offer this free app for now and will like go forward with a couple of enhancements but my time with this will be limited. It's secondary purpose was intended to give me the opportunity to use VB.NET. The primary one was to help me disable HS speaking while I am trying to do so .
    Last edited by Jim Doolittle; April 13, 2005, 06:37 AM.
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

What's skype Jim?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

A non-compatible form of VOIP from the makers of Kaaza.
      http://www.skype.com/

Comment

Ah ha. Sorta like net2phone.

Comment

I basically switched to Skype from FWD (another VOIP provider) per a recommendation from George Photakis. Plus, the software for PocketPC was free and worked immediately on first install. Sound quality is excellent.
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,
            You mean you can use your pocket pc device to talk with?

Comment

Rupp,

I have a Dell Axim X50V that has built-in WIFI. I installed Skype for Windows on two desktops and Skype for Pocket PC for the Axim. I created three accounts. Add each as contacts. Made a call within 15 minutes. The Axim's built-in mike picked my voice up very well and I could easily hear and understand the caller on the other end.
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Cool. So you could use this at the airport if it were wifi equiped?

Comment

Yes.
                  Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                  My Hardware & Software

Comment

Skype? OH Brother. Not gonna comment so please don't ask me to expand on my reply.

Comment

Jim,
                      go with FWD and stay with the standard.
                      IMHO.

Comment

I went with Skype over FWD because Skype had a free PocketPC application. I could not find a free one for FWD although I may have found one now. FWD was not fun to setup but I did get it working. Skype was very easy.

I can pull the application if you guys think I should do so but I lot of people use Skype. All I know is I can talk to other people quite clearly. I understand the importance of standards. I work in Quality Control foir my day job. However, the practical side of me says that I am able to talk to others at the moment using Skype and if Skype goes away, I uninstall software and go on to the next flavor of VOIP and if that is FWD then fine.

And based upon JustOneMore's reply, I won't ask .
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Why pull it? If it works then I would leave it. I'm not sure what all the other guys mean by standards. I doubt most users using VOIP have taken the time to read the standards. If they have they really need to find something more fun to do.

Comment

Rupp,

I am leaving it for now. I will probalbny use both Skype and FWD. From what I can tell, there is not much overhead running the programs until you are connected. Doubt I will be connected to both systems simultaneously .
                            Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                            My Hardware & Software

Comment

Nothing happened

Nothing happened in Homeseer after installation of the plug-in. I got the message if the plug-in is allowed to access Skype and the plug-in is running is the system tray. I have Skype version 1.2.0.41.

Comment

Working...
                              X