Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard to replace a Napco Gemini with an Elk M1?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard to replace a Napco Gemini with an Elk M1?

I want to add my security panel to my home automation system, but right now I have a Napco Gemini 8xx series, which does not allow for HA. I would have to buy a P9600 and then purchase the RS232 interface kit and maybe new keypads. After all is said and done, I might spend the same amount of money as I would buying an Elk and from what I hear, it has far more capability than the Napco. So, please forgive the ignorance if I ask a silly question, but here goes:

1. Can I simply replace the Napco panel and keypads with the Elk and use the existing wires running to the existing door/window/fire contacts?

2. Is this something I could do myself without an installer (following the manual with basic wiring/electrical skills)?

3. Finally, for those of you that have had Napco systems, is it worth the effort/money to convert to an Elk system?

Thanks for any and all help!!

1. You should be able to use the existing wiring.

2. You can do it!

3. I had a Gemini before the M1 and love the M1. It is much easier to modify, install, etc.

Mark

Comment

I went from Napco to ELK. Easy. Just mark all of the wires and then swap zones from napco to ELK one at a time. that's most of the work. then outputs, then power. Did you use any of the zones on the Napco keypad? That adds a little complexity as the ELK keypads don't support as an expansion zone.

Comment

Actually, you do have a zone on the keypads. Both input and output on each keypad.

Comment

I did it about 1 year ago. No Problem and I have never looked back! Make the move. Now that Elk has the Data Bus Hub for retrofit you probably won't have to run new wires for the keypads like I did. I am using the zone capability in one of my keypads, like I did with the napco and have had nothing but success. I am happy with my Elk.

Elk-M1Gold, 2 LCD Keypads, z-Wave, Ethernet, relay board, 2 Zone Temp Sensors. All-in-all a pretty nice system interfaced with HomeSeer.

Comment

Working...
          X