X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O/T Interesting issue found with ELK

Hi ALL

Thought I would share this with the group considering the pain I went through to nail down this problem. I have 3 input expanders and 1 output expander where one of the input expanders is solely used for automation.

These automation inputs have n/o buttons attached that toggle lights and pool equipment. What I've found is that when I power cycle the panel, all of the outputs that have associated toggle rules (inputs on expanders that toggle the outputs) turn themselves on. This means its like Christmas outside, the lights come on, the spa fires up and the power meter goes NUTS !

I've found simply that when I delete the rules and power cycle the panel its no issue. I've called the distributor this morning and we both feel that its an issue with the way the ELK starts up. You will notice on power up that the keypad will show a large number of zones being open for the first 30 seconds of powerup and then as status's are found, the system reports them correctly. It is this first 30 seconds of "unknown" or incorrect state that is causing the rule to trip.

I was initially thinking of setting up a 555 cct with a 1 minute latching output to trip an input that I can mask all the outputs against however I'm going to try this with a rule. Whenever system initialises, turn output 200 on for 1 minute and then turn off. All of my outputs will be masked against output 200 meaning if output 200 is on, dont allow the output to toggle.

I hope this is of value to someone as its had me going for ages. I installed a serial expander with a RCS 40 thermostat last night and when I kept power cycling the panel, I had to spend the first 5 minutes turning things off.

Cheers and any feedback would be welcome !

Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

Powerup initialization

Write a Rule in the M1:
    WHENEVER Powerup
    Then set whatever outputs to the state you want them to come up in, On or OFF.

They should default to OFF.

There is a 6 second delay after powerup to start talking to the peripherial modules.

Elk Chief Engineer

Comment

HI Dave

Great to hear from you and thanks for the reply. I am **positive** I tried this without success...

The issue appears to be when there is a ruleset to change the outputs where its an input thats on an expander board, that turns the output on.... I spoke with Greg Kingsley from Ness in Australia and he suggested what you suggested.....

May be a dumb question, have you tried this configuration ? Note that I'm using OPEN push buttons and not an EOL (shorting with a button) to trip the input. I was going to try the EOL and shorting the button this weekend to see if that made a difference in startup.

Your thoughts ?

Pete..
      Last edited by petez69; April 19, 2007, 08:27 PM.
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Hi David

Are you able to confirm that you are seeing this or is it only with my system ?

Thanks..Pete
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Pete,
          You might have more success in getting an solution to you problem if you posted this over on CocoonTech. There is a large Elk base there and also reps from Elk.

HTH
          Thanks,

T.

Comment

I think its Mario ?

Thanks for the tip, have posted now in Cocoontech :-) Thanks for the pointer.

Pete
            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
            X