This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help fine tuning

First, I would like to say this is a good plugin, and I am going to stick with it. I just need to know how to fine tune my settings so that it will work better. Right now I have hs set up with a dsl line. However, when I try to access it from the web, it is so slow, that it really doesn't work for both streaming and snapshots. Can someone tell me how to tune this plugin so that I can optimize speed. Thanks.

I'm going to assume that you have version 3.0.16 since you are referncing streaming. There is a couple of fields in the General tab of the configuration form that control the audio source. The streaming engine also has choices for different Windows Media profiles that can affect streaming performance. You're going to have find a WM profile that suits your upload speed. Usually with DSL, it it asynchronous which means you likely only have 128k or so upload speed. This will restrict the stream so I'd suggust a profile less than 100k. Other users are having to use a profile 64k or 56k to get a reliable stream that includes both the image and sound.

Bryan
    (Config is in my profile)
    Bryan

Comment

Bryan,

I got the sound to work. It was that I didn't have the line in option selected. How come when I select a channel to watch tv (yes I can watch tv in real time!) it buffer for about 2 minutes. It goes up to around 50%, and then back down, and then back up, and it never reaches 100%, but after a few minutes I get a good feed, but the sound is not that great. Do you think I should go with cable as my source for internet access instead of dsl? Thanks again for the wonderful work you did on this. Please bear with me, I will be asking a million questions.

Comment

Bryan,

I switched my settings to 100k lan, and it works much better. I am still wondering if I should switch to cable?

Comment

I have cable with an additional high speed uplift. This gives me 1.5MB/sec up and down. Streaming from my site is extreamly fast and the image and sound quality are excellent. It really depends if you want quality streaming or cheaper communications cost. It's up to you to decide.

For me the decision was not too difficult. Our local telco that supplies dsl (I started with this) changed their policies to a charge of $50.00 / month just for the dedicated IP and then the access charge was on top of that. I'd rather have a dedicated IP address so I don't have to mess with DYNDNS etc. My cable company supplied me with the 1.5mb up and down and the dedicated IP for about the same price.

Bryan
          Bryan

Comment

Working...
          X